DIY + Calendar = DIY

Old August 25th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex

Default DIY + Calendar = DIY

Been reading lots of things (previous posts, handbook, etc) but it
still isn't clear in my head what I have to do to combine a DIY and a
calendar event.

According to all of the mapping software I can find (set to shortest
route, etc) I live just over 50km from the start of the South Bucks
Winter Warmer 200 (SBWW). This would have to be confirmed...

As it's on a Sunday morning the trains are up the spout I'm considering
cycling to the start and back home after the event. Since it's 50km
each way I could make this into a DIY 300 with the SBWW 200 in the
middle.

I know some people take this in their stride but I haven't even entered
a 200 yet (about to post entry forms for the Golden Tints 14-Oct and
the Upper Thames on 4-Nov, to start my quest for an RRTY[1])

As I understand it I enter both the event (after making sure that the
organiser is happy with all of this) and a DIY (letting Sheila know
that I'm using the SBWW's controls).

The controls at the start/end of the journey are easy, there are
several cashpoints and 24 hour garages near by my house. But do I need
an extra control somewhere between SW18 and the start of the SBWW for
proof of this section? Or is it ok that the distance between home and
start of SBWW is at least 50km.

What happens if I pack during the 50km ride home having successfully
completed the SBWW? Could I throw away the DIY and just claim the SBWW
200 or do I lose both because I have not completed my planned ride in
full?

Hmm, or do I have to pick which brevet (DIY or event) is stamped at the
checkpoints since I can't be riding two events at the same time?

Bah, all confused again.

-Alex

[1] Oct = Golden Tints, Nov = Upper Thames, Dec = SBWW
Jan = Poor Student, Feb = Kennett Valley Run,
Mar = Winter Randonee and/or Chiltern-Cotswold Brevet
Apr = The Dean (300), May = A taste of the Test or 26th Stonehenge
Rest to be planned when new calendar comes out...

Old August 25th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy S

Last weekend I rode a 530km perm to the start of Gerrys Birthday Bash
85km and used this to make the ride into a 600km event.
I kept the brevet card from the BP event fully stamped &/or signed,and
will send both cards to Sheila to get validation for a 600km
Starting at 0600 Saturday Morning meant having to complete the 530km in
under 28hrs, the weather was fairly benign and I reached Wiggington
with plenty of time to spare.

Andy S

Old August 25th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

All is explained here. http://www.audax.uk.net/cal/perms/diy.pdf.

--
Dave...

Old August 25th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MartinM

Alex wrote:

Bah, all confused again.

AIUI you enter the calendar event in order to use the existing controls
(obviously paying the organiser for their trouble) but all the controls
you obtain are part of the bigger DIY ride and you can only claim for
one ride. Presumably if you fail the DIY you can claim the calendar
instead.

Mar = Winter Randonee and/or Chiltern-Cotswold Brevet

I'll be at the WR; also the Anfractuous, the rest of time I are be
mostly in Sussex for my RRTY