"mountain" and "road" pedals

Old October 15th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Higson

Default "mountain" and "road" pedals

I'm looking to buy some clipless pedals for my mountain and road bikes. I
don't really want to buy two pairs of shoes or have to keep swapping cleats
over. I also want pedals that work with "walkable" shoes.

I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD pedals on both
bikes. They appeal because they're cheap and fit the requirements of only
needing one pair of shoes. Shimano's entry level M520 look OK, and the more
expensive models seems just to offer weight reduction, which I'm not all
that bothered about. Plus the double-sided thing sounds like a good idea
for the road as well as off it for getting in and out quickly at traffic
lights.

Will they cause any problems on the road bike? Really, I can't really see
there being all that much difference in the performance of pedals for
road/mountain use. I mostly do fairly fast riding at weekends, and some
light touring.

The only alternative I can find of road/mountain pedals that use the same
cleats is the Crank Bros ones. The egg beaters look very... interesting.
Maybe I'll try some one day.

On a related note, what makes the egg beaters "XC" pedals and not road
racing pedals? I'd have thought it'd road racers would take the reduced
weight version over the MTBers. What makes the nude egg beaters unsuited to
road cycling?

Thanks for any insight,
--
Jim

Old October 15th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Jim Higson wrote:
I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD
pedals on both bikes.

[...]
Will they cause any problems on the road bike?

No. From the looks and larger platform it offers Shimano's one
sided SPD pedal (PD-A520) might be worth a look...

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer
Old October 15th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Hansell

I used to use MTB(SPD) pedals on all my bikes (Road, MTB, Touring)
until I started riding with a road group ride. We tend to get a little
competative on these rides sprinting town lines and racing to the top
of climbs. I had a few scary experiences with blowing out of my pedals
with my SPD pedals during town line sprints. SPD and MTP type pedals
tend to have less float and can release easier on the up-stroke than
road pedals. After nearly going down at 25mph+ on a sprint I decided to
get some road shoes and LOOK pedals. Since then I have never had an
issue with blowing out.

From the sounds of it you would do fine with an SPD-type MTB shoe and

pedals for both bikes. If you get into riding with a high testosterone
group ride then go for pair of road shoes and LOOK-type pedals.

-Ralph

Old October 15th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Jim Higson wrote:
I'm looking to buy some clipless pedals for my mountain and road bikes. I
don't really want to buy two pairs of shoes or have to keep swapping cleats
over. I also want pedals that work with "walkable" shoes.

I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD pedals on both
bikes. They appeal because they're cheap and fit the requirements of only
needing one pair of shoes. Shimano's entry level M520 look OK, and the more
expensive models seems just to offer weight reduction, which I'm not all
that bothered about. Plus the double-sided thing sounds like a good idea
for the road as well as off it for getting in and out quickly at traffic
lights.

The M520 are all you need. The best buy in SPD pedals IMO.

Will they cause any problems on the road bike?

No

Really, I can't really see
there being all that much difference in the performance of pedals for
road/mountain use.

Bingo. They are only on the heavy side if you include the shoes. If
weight isn't an issue for you and you want walkable shoes ....

I mostly do fairly fast riding at weekends, and some
light touring.

The only alternative I can find of road/mountain pedals that use the same
cleats is the Crank Bros ones. The egg beaters look very... interesting.
Maybe I'll try some one day.

They are way overpriced and off no real extra's compared to the M520.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old October 15th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Ralph Hansell wrote:
I used to use MTB(SPD) pedals on all my bikes (Road, MTB, Touring)
until I started riding with a road group ride. We tend to get a little
competative on these rides sprinting town lines and racing to the top
of climbs. I had a few scary experiences with blowing out of my pedals
with my SPD pedals during town line sprints. SPD and MTP type pedals
tend to have less float and can release easier on the up-stroke than
road pedals. After nearly going down at 25mph+ on a sprint I decided to
get some road shoes and LOOK pedals. Since then I have never had an
issue with blowing out.

I don't agree.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old October 15th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

I"ve been using SPD pedals on my road bikes for years. They actually
have both single sided and double sided models. I have the 929 on
road bikes, 540 on tandem, and wife liked the black decor of the 520
model. I've noticed no difference in performance or durability of the
various models. I ride with a T091 or Lake SPD sandals. The T092,
which is the current model, has smooth soles. I don't use road
pedals, shave my legs, and use a mirror but that doesn't stop me from
having to take pulls in the line or slow me down in a chase.

I personally believe that much of what is said about road pedals is
just so much myth. I have comfortable shoes that stay firmly attached
to the pedals and I can walk comfortably as well.

Old October 15th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Higson

Lou Holtman wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:
I'm looking to buy some clipless pedals for my mountain and road bikes. I
don't really want to buy two pairs of shoes or have to keep swapping
cleats over. I also want pedals that work with "walkable" shoes.

I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD pedals on
both bikes. They appeal because they're cheap and fit the requirements of
only needing one pair of shoes. Shimano's entry level M520 look OK, and
the more expensive models seems just to offer weight reduction, which I'm
not all that bothered about. Plus the double-sided thing sounds like a
good idea for the road as well as off it for getting in and out quickly
at traffic lights.

The M520 are all you need. The best buy in SPD pedals IMO.

The other cool thing about the 520s is my mountain bike has silver cranks
and my road bike black, and the M520s come in both colours. I wouldn't pay
extra for this, but it is neat to have at no extra cost.

I can get both pairs for £36 inc delivery online. Just one pair of basic
look-type pedals would probably cost more than that.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Jim
Old October 15th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Higson

Ralph Hansell wrote:

From the sounds of it you would do fine with an SPD-type MTB shoe and

pedals for both bikes. If you get into riding with a high testosterone
group ride then go for pair of road shoes and LOOK-type pedals.

Maybe I'll get more into group riding one day, but at the moment I'm looking
at spending quite a lot of time taking it easy because of a (non-cycling)
injury. I'll go with the 520s.

--
Jim

Old October 15th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:49:55 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

Ralph Hansell wrote:
I used to use MTB(SPD) pedals on all my bikes (Road, MTB, Touring)
until I started riding with a road group ride. We tend to get a little
competative on these rides sprinting town lines and racing to the top
of climbs. I had a few scary experiences with blowing out of my pedals
with my SPD pedals during town line sprints. SPD and MTP type pedals
tend to have less float and can release easier on the up-stroke than
road pedals. After nearly going down at 25mph+ on a sprint I decided to
get some road shoes and LOOK pedals. Since then I have never had an
issue with blowing out.

I don't agree.

Yeah, with SPDs it gets harder to get out of the pedals as the cleats
wear. What is it with Look cleats?

--
JT
****************************
Old October 15th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jim Higson wrote:
I'm looking to buy some clipless pedals for my mountain and road bikes. I
don't really want to buy two pairs of shoes or have to keep swapping cleats
over. I also want pedals that work with "walkable" shoes.

I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD pedals on both
bikes. They appeal because they're cheap and fit the requirements of only
needing one pair of shoes. Shimano's entry level M520 look OK, and the more
expensive models seems just to offer weight reduction, which I'm not all
that bothered about. Plus the double-sided thing sounds like a good idea
for the road as well as off it for getting in and out quickly at traffic
lights.

I've been using SPDs since 1991; now they are on all my bikes. The
combination of easy, two-sided entry and a truly walkable shoe is hard
to beat for a recreational cyclist who unclips for traffic stops and
doesn't want to walk like a duck off the bike.