on topic, training.

Old November 4th 04, 10:08 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:37:41 -0500, gym gravity
wrote:

gym gravity wrote:

By Saturday all I want to do is eat.

And drink: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/94/273/

http://www.internetwines.com/mb311504.html

Public service, for the Brits reading:

http://www.bibacity.co.uk/shop/catal...n-p-16354.html

It will even pre-filter political discussions on rbr. By the second
shot, you can't read anything, so you may as well load Kozmic Blues on
the CD player and give it up.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old November 5th 04, 06:51 PM
Wayne

This sounds a lot like the training the Kenyan runners do in their
running camps. I think it was documented in a book called "Training
the Kenyan Way". They go to these camps where they run 3 times a day;
light run in the morning, intervals on the track at midday, and then a
longish run in the evening that often deteriorates into a race back to
camp by the end. Mostly just sleep and eat between runs. They do this
for a couple of weeks and then taper for a period of big events, where
they do very little running besides racing. Seems to work for them,
and it would be hard to argue that the stress on the muscles wasn't at
least as great if not more so than in cycling.

Old November 5th 04, 07:24 PM
Warren

"Wayne" wrote in message
m...
This sounds a lot like the training the Kenyan runners do in their
running camps. I think it was documented in a book called "Training
the Kenyan Way". They go to these camps where they run 3 times a day;
light run in the morning, intervals on the track at midday, and then a
longish run in the evening that often deteriorates into a race back to
camp by the end. Mostly just sleep and eat between runs. They do this
for a couple of weeks and then taper for a period of big events, where
they do very little running besides racing. Seems to work for them,
and it would be hard to argue that the stress on the muscles wasn't at
least as great if not more so than in cycling.

No mention of how intense those intervals are. Here's a clue, those Kenyans
have small legs muscles compared to cyclists.

-WG

Old November 6th 04, 12:22 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Stewart Fleming wrote:
Benjamin Weiner wrote:

P.S. Seems that they showed doing a lot of 4 minute intervals improves
your performance over 4 minute periods. Specificity ...

Consider a road racing pack doing steady state at 40kph.
Your break goes with a jump then a sustained effort at 50kph.

40kph for 4 mins = 2.66km
50kph for 4 mins = 3.33km

Your break is now 0.67km ahead on the road. The pack at steady state
will take 1 min to cover that extra distance. So you have a lead of 1
minute and you can revert to steady state. The sustained effort after
the initial jump is what gives the break a chance to succeed.

(If, of course, there is no reaction from the bunch...but if it's the
7th attack that day...who knows?)

On a different tack, Eddy B recommended never doing more than 2km
intervals for time trial preparation. For much the same reason as given
in the article - recovery is easier.

Well, yeah, I can believe that there are cases where going hard for a
4 minute interval gives you a race advantage. But the same could
probably be said for 1 minute intervals, or a high LT that lets you
ride harder all race long. It gets back to the question of, what is
the most effective regimen given the need to recover, and for most
of us, limited time? Is it really easier to recover from 2km intervals
at a 2km pace than 20 min intervals at a somewhat slower pace?

When I said "Specificity" I was trolling for Andy Coggan, who usually
has an opinion on these things - I could take a guess but don't want
to presume.

Ben
Doing whiskey intervals with beer recovery this week

Old November 6th 04, 01:31 AM
Stewart Fleming

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

Doing whiskey intervals with beer recovery this week

specificity.
If you do whiskey intervals, you make the beer chase.
Old November 6th 04, 01:31 AM
Stewart Fleming

Old November 6th 04, 01:41 AM
pedalchick

Stewart Fleming Wrote:
Benjamin Weiner wrote:
On a different tack, Eddy B recommended never doing more than 2km
intervals for time trial preparation. For much the same reason as
given
in the article - recovery is easier.

keep in mind, eddie b's version of recovery is to ride what carmichael
would consider "tempo" because in a race, you don't get to recover at
12mph.

laura "currently recovering with percoset chasers after getting 10
screws and a plate put in her broken wrist - longer discourse on the
dangers of toe-lap and 'cross tires later" w

--
pedalchick