An adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers, and a literally-cool head

Old July 21st 20, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default An adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers, and a literally-cool head

Monday, 20 July 2020

I tried to ride more slowly than is possible at a red light, and
collected an assortment of road rash, a bruise, and a sore rotator
cuff. I laid it to dividing my attention between handling the bike
and the traffic, but after measuring my forehead temperature at 100F,
we concluded that the real cause was heat exhaustion.

I got up just before the light changed, and dashed over to the
sidewalk to walk for a while. I heard something scraping. Lifting
the front of the bike and spinning the front wheel verified that the
noise was coming from there. It wasn't the fender; must be the brake,
but the fit was so fine that pulling this side made the other side
scrape. I tried to loosen the cable, but the adjusting barrel is
screwed all the way down.

Nothing for it but to ride home with the brake dragging. It was only
two and a half miles, but I was tired and this was not pleasant.

Yesterday I typed a note for the repairman; this morning I dressed in
walking clothes upon rising, and set out for the Trailhouse right
after eating a Toaster Scramble. I paused on the way out of the
garage to tell Dave what was wrong, and pushed the bike along watching
the gap between the right brake block and the rim. Clear air gap all
the way. Same on the left.

Spun the wheel again; when it stopped, one glance showed where the
fender was rubbing. That glance also showed that there was a very
conspicuous blob of asphalt on the head of the screw I needed to turn.

I scraped the asphalt off with a knife we keep on top of the
floor-pump cupboard with the other box-opening tools, went out to the
shop, looked at the wrenches & didn't feel like hunting out the
correct one, got my adjustable wrench out of my tool bag, loosened the
screw, fetched the kitchen pliers, got the fender adjusted on the
second try.

I always carry several knives, there's a pair of pliers in my wallet,
and the adjustable wrench I used *was* the wrench that I carry with
me.

What I didn't have with me was a cool head.

--
Joy Beeson
joy al beeson at gmail dot com

Old July 21st 20, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 22:41:29 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if it would solve any problems but I have changed every
bolt on my bicycles to Allen (Hex) head and carry, if I remember
correctly, 4, Allen wrenches that will everything and all together
make up a package that , what? An ounce or so in weight and will fit
nearly anyplace.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 21st 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/20/2020 10:41 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
[...]

Although it ultimately wouldn't have fixed your problem, I dislike the
fact that (AFAIK) every bike mechanic around here installs brakes and
cables with the cable adjusting barrel turned all the way in. One of
them told me "The brake shoes are only going to get thinner, so you only
have to tighten the cable."

I disagreed. I've had to loosen cables for people who hit bad bumps on
rides and had rims knocked out of true. Adjustments should be possible
in both directions.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 22nd 20, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 10:08:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm not sure if it would solve any problems but I have changed every
bolt on my bicycles to Allen (Hex) head and carry, if I remember
correctly, 4, Allen wrenches that will everything and all together
make up a package that , what? An ounce or so in weight and will fit
nearly anyplace.

I once tried to change all my bolts to metric. It proved to be
impossible, partly because there was a poor selection of metric
stainless bolts.

I did get stuff down to where a six mm wrench, an eight mm wrench, and
a crescent wrench would handle it. Then I lost the decades-refined
tool kit by trusting a bungee cord to hold it, and it still hasn't
regenerated. I can't even find a saddle bag to keep it in! There is
nothing between "one spare tube" and "enough clothes to tour the
world."

I replaced the patch kit and the spare tube with the phone number of
FastCab. Haven't needed to call them yet, but I've summoned my spouse
a few times.

Several years ago, we had the hardest time locating each other in a
wee tiny town. At length we both spotted the gazebo that was all
there was to the town park, and met there.

Old July 22nd 20, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

On my bikes there are only, counting the seat post clamp bolt and the
tiny little adjustment screws on my Shimano M324 pedals, 4 different
size bolts used. I switched them all to Allen heads - I was lucky
there was a shop that stocked every size of Nut/bolt/screw imaginable
on the way to town - and on one bike I carry a 1/2" open end wrench
that I cut down and drilled holes in to make it lighter for the Stem
wedge bolt. All together they weigh less then 2 ounces and are in a
tiny about 4" x 1" packet. They and two inner tubes, CO2 adapter and
two tire tools all fit in a little "seat bag".
--
Cheers,

John B.