completely different muscles

Old August 10th 05, 07:17 AM

Default completely different muscles

The main muscle used in cycling is vastus medialis which is the inside
part of quadriceps. This is used in walking but to less an extent.
The calves are used a lot in walking and little in cycling.
You will find if you go hillwalking that you will bomb up the hills but
be slow coming down. You need to train at walking.
Our muscles atrophy if we don't use them and hypertrophy (get bigger)
if we do.
The reason for this of course is that it spares food.

Old August 10th 05, 07:45 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

" typed

The main muscle used in cycling is vastus medialis which is the inside
part of quadriceps.

I don't think so. Vastus medialis is only active when the knee is almost
straight, and exercises to develop it are used to treat patellofemoral
maltracking problems.
This maltracking is often due to overdevelopment of vastus lateralis
(the muscle at the outside of the thigh) and rectus femoris, the muscle
at the front of the thigh. These (VM & RF) are used more in cycling.

This is used in walking but to less an extent.
The calves are used a lot in walking and little in cycling.
You will find if you go hillwalking that you will bomb up the hills but
be slow coming down. You need to train at walking.

Both cycling and walking involve the large muscles at the back of the
thigh (gluteals and hamstrings). Differences in posture whilst doing
these activities mean differing muscles are used.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 10th 05, 10:08 AM
Jeremy Collins

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Both cycling and walking involve the large muscles at the back of the
thigh (gluteals and hamstrings). Differences in posture whilst doing
these activities mean differing muscles are used.

AIUI, glutes are mainly employed when you go into a standing position
to power uphill. And I've only really noticed development in my
hamstrings since I started using clipless pedals - are the hamstrings
used much when using flats?

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old August 11th 05, 03:29 PM
David Hansen

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:31:34 +0100 someone who may be "wafflycat"
waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote this:-

I have exceedingly well-developed calf muscles... my DH tells me. Apparently
he finds my defined muscular calves quite fetching. Go figure...

I figure he is not unique. I speak as that ultimate evil person; a
white, heterosexual, meat-eating, male.

It's
definitely down to the cycling too, as it is my chosen form of exercise.
When Nathan was smaller & we did a lot of rambling, my calf muscles were not
nearly so well defined.

Then things have improved:-)

But it does play havoc with trying to buy a pair of
knee-length boots. I have some gorgeous boots I used to be able to wear in
my pre-return-to-cycling days that I got on with ease. Now I cannot wear
them as my calf muscles are too big!

I think that there must be a problem with the leather.

I take it you have asked him to give you a hand putting on the
boots:-)

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old August 11th 05, 03:47 PM
Peter Clinch

David Hansen wrote:

I figure he is not unique. I speak as that ultimate evil person; a
white, heterosexual, meat-eating, male.

Psure! You don't even have a red lightsabre! ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old August 11th 05, 03:54 PM
wafflycat

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
David Hansen wrote:

I figure he is not unique. I speak as that ultimate evil person; a
white, heterosexual, meat-eating, male.

Psure! You don't even have a red lightsabre! ;-)

You've looked inside his trousers?

Cheers, helen s ;-)