Magpie season again

Old September 12th 04, 06:09 AM
Il Capitano

Default Magpie season again

With Magpie season fast approaching us, I wanted to ask if there is any
effective way to rid this pest, from trying to nip me whilst I am riding.
I have heard about painting 2 eyes on the back of your helmet, but I don,t
wanna do that to my very expensive Giro Helmet.

Any tips, apart from shooting the pricks, and ending up in jail (^_^)

Old September 12th 04, 07:54 AM
Ro

"Il Capitano" wrote:
With Magpie season fast approaching us, I wanted to ask if there is any
effective way to rid this pest, from trying to nip me whilst I am riding.
I have heard about painting 2 eyes on the back of your helmet, but I don,t
wanna do that to my very expensive Giro Helmet.

Any tips, apart from shooting the pricks, and ending up in jail (^_^)

I had that problem for a few years until the day I put "Glad wrap" strip over the back half of the helmet and painted the eyes on the glad wrap, never been attacked since.
Hope it works for you
Ro

Old September 12th 04, 10:54 AM
K&C Russell

"Ro" wrote in message ...

"Il Capitano" wrote:
With Magpie season fast approaching us, I wanted to ask if there is any
effective way to rid this pest, from trying to nip me whilst I am riding.
I have heard about painting 2 eyes on the back of your helmet, but I

don,t
wanna do that to my very expensive Giro Helmet.

Any tips, apart from shooting the pricks, and ending up in jail (^_^)

I had that problem for a few years until the day I put "Glad wrap" strip

over the back half of the helmet and painted the eyes on the glad wrap,
never been attacked since.
Hope it works for you
Ro

What about blue tack and a couple of eyes from the craft shop. No damage to
the helmet. Take them off when the season is over. mind you I a not
convinced about the eyes working yet...perhaps others can give an opinion.

I was watching a couple of magpies woking over a cockatoo today and I am not
so sure eyes in the back of head would have helped. He almost ended up with
holes in the back of his head...

Kev

Old September 12th 04, 03:41 PM
AlisaHomes94583

Magpie season again

AlisaHomes94583

in 20 mons.
Old September 12th 04, 10:13 PM
giantbike

What about helmet's colour?Will this in some way lessen the chances o
attack?I had a darker colour helmet and have had countless attack fo
the past years.But recently changed to a lighter colour helmet ( whit
to be precise ) ,and seems like the magpie seems to be less interest a
me at this stage.But still early to see the full effect just yet as thi
is still early in the season

--
giantbike

Old September 12th 04, 11:04 PM
Ray Peace

Greetings,
Magpie season is well and truly here, if you check back
on this site, you will find the first reported bombing was over in Perth
c. 4/8. On Frog Ponds Rd south of Yea Vic on 5/9 I had at least a dozen
of the little *******s after me at different times, some pretty
persistent. They are not only out there, they are everywhere, though not
all of them attack. I see on the news you can get a pair of stick-on
eyes, which may damage your helmet less, but I'm not convinced it will
stop them coming after you, I tried this some years ago and they kept
bombing.
Regards,
Ray.

Old September 12th 04, 11:12 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:13:02 +1000, giantbike
wrote:

What about helmet's colour?Will this in some way lessen the chances of
attack?I had a darker colour helmet and have had countless attack for
the past years.But recently changed to a lighter colour helmet ( white
to be precise ) ,and seems like the magpie seems to be less interest at
me at this stage.But still early to see the full effect just yet as this
is still early in the season.

I met someone about a week ago who had just been attacked on the
Burnley Blvd. There were some beak-sized holes through the plastic
skin of his new dark red helmet. I haven't had any problems so far
(fingers crossed, etc.) with my mainly white Giro.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old September 12th 04, 11:49 PM
DRS

"giantbike" wrote in
message
What about helmet's colour?Will this in some way lessen the chances of
attack?I had a darker colour helmet and have had countless attack for
the past years.But recently changed to a lighter colour helmet ( white
to be precise ) ,and seems like the magpie seems to be less interest
at me at this stage.But still early to see the full effect just yet
as this is still early in the season.

Magpies are afraid of navy blue.

HTH

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 13th 04, 12:17 AM
flyingdutch

DRS Wrote:

Magpies are afraid of navy blue.

HTH

boom tiiissshhhh!!!

perhaps they should concentrate more on that than bombing durin
september..

--
flyingdutch

Old September 13th 04, 12:53 AM
Mike

Il Capitano wrote:
With Magpie season fast approaching us, I wanted to ask if there is any
effective way to rid this pest,

A couple of seasons ago, I was swooped and hit by a magpie.
Then 50m down the road I saw a lost slingshot in the gutter.
A _Sign_from_God_, if ever there was one.