No helmet contributed to cyclist death

Old July 25th 13, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

Default No helmet contributed to cyclist death

The sheriff said Mrs Fyffe "wasn't to blame in any way for the accident", but
added: "She was not wearing a safety helmet and that in my view contributed to
her death."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-22397918

Motorist banned for five years.

That seems a proportionate sentence to me.

Old July 25th 13, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, 25 July 2013 12:30:36 UTC+1, Judith wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-22397918

Motorist banned for five years.

That seems a proportionate sentence to me.

So what would he have to do to get a life ban?

Old July 25th 13, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/07/2013 12:35, wrote:
On Thursday, 25 July 2013 12:30:36 UTC+1, Judith wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-22397918

Motorist banned for five years.

That seems a proportionate sentence to me.

So what would he have to do to get a life ban?

What does *anyone* have to do to get a lifetime ban?

Become blind? Develop a serious case of MS? Be old and infirm? Be
stricken by a brain tumour?

A friend of mine had the latter happen to him, but after his operation
and treatment (and by sheer determination), he got his licence back.
Old July 25th 13, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/07/2013 20:15, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Thu, 25 Jul 2013 04:35:42 -0700
(PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Thursday, 25 July 2013 12:30:36 UTC+1, Judith wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-22397918

Motorist banned for five years.

That seems a proportionate sentence to me.

If it was an actual (jail) sentence, it would be.
Removing his driving privilege seems to be a matter of basic risk
management, and should not really be regarded as punishment.

So what would he have to do to get a life ban?

He's done it - repeated unlawful killing.
There is nothing he could do which would convince me that he is a fit
person to hold a driving licence in the future, having twice
demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that he isn't.
Allowing him to drive again after the first killing was an
infringement of his second victims right to life, and was therefore
illegal.

Yes, but you don't actually sit in that jurisdiction, M'Lud.

Old July 26th 13, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 26/07/2013 10:45, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
considered Thu, 25 Jul 2013 04:35:42 -0700

Allowing him to drive again after the first killing was an
infringement of his second victims right to life, and was therefore
illegal.

LOL!

He didn't *mean* it to be funny.