You really couldn't make it up...

Old July 20th 13, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default You really couldn't make it up...

On 20/07/2013 13:46, wrote:

On Saturday, 20 July 2013 11:55:46 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

It would be difficult to attribute *any* harm at all to cars parked on,
or partly on, the footway, though it's easy enough to react with
hysteria, as you are doing.

Concern for others isn't one of your strong points, is it.

Here's a deal if you want it: don't be such a drama queen, and I won't
(have to) point out that you're a drama queen.

There are many reasons why flagstones are disappearing, but parking on
them is not one of them.

Actually, it is.

You missed out a "not" in there.

Flagstones are disappearing because of their cost compared with asphalt.
Old July 20th 13, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, 20 July 2013 11:11:05 UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:

It is far easier and safer for almost anyone to negotiate a relatively
smooth stationary vehicle parked partly or even wholly on a pavement, than
it is to negotiate an obscenity screaming, slobbering, smelly oaf on a
moving bike (with lots of sticky out bits) that may approach from any
direction .

Jim, if my post pointing out the dangers of pavement parking to blind people is "hysteria", then what is this?

Old July 20th 13, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Saturday, 20 July 2013 08:22:34 UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 20 July 2013 00:59:35 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

It would be difficult to attribute *any* harm at all to cars parked on,

or partly on, the footway, with the possible (and oft-cited) cracking of

flagstones (do many places still use flagstones? There are certainly

none hereabouts).

So you're not concerned about blind people, parents with buggies etc?

Flagstones are a disappearing aspect of the urban landscape simply because irresponsible drivers break them, imposing costs on the local authority.

Small cars do not break correctly laid flagstones, ever. The damage is frequently due to wagons with high axle weights and the flagstones frequently are laid incorrectly on a soft substrate.
Old July 20th 13, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:09:34 PM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
wrote:

On Saturday, 20 July 2013 11:11:05 UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:

It is far easier and safer for almost anyone to negotiate a

relatively smooth stationary vehicle parked partly or even wholly on

a pavement, than it is to negotiate an obscenity screaming,

slobbering, smelly oaf on a moving bike (with lots of sticky out

bits) that may approach from any direction .

Jim, if my post pointing out the dangers of pavement parking to blind

people is "hysteria", then what is this?

If a blind person is walking along a pavement and comes across a stationary

smooth obstacle they will negotiate around it, just the same as they manage

bins, bus stops etc. A moving obstacle such as a cyclist (who may approach

practically silently) cannot be so easily and safely evaded.

Do make up your mind. I know that you are not interested in consistency, only in telling lies about cyclists, but really! How can this farago approach a blind person "practically silently":-
"It is far easier and safer for almost anyone to negotiate a relatively
smooth stationary vehicle parked partly or even wholly on a pavement, than
it is to negotiate an obscenity screaming, slobbering, smelly oaf on a
moving bike (with lots of sticky out bits) that may approach from any
direction."

And bins and bus stops tend not to force pedestrians out into the road to pass them, in the way that parked cars can do.
Old July 20th 13, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote

It is far easier and safer for almost anyone to negotiate a
relatively smooth stationary vehicle parked partly or even wholly on
a pavement, than it is to negotiate an obscenity screaming,
slobbering, smelly oaf on a moving bike (with lots of sticky out
bits) that may approach from any direction .

Here's a tip. Reduce the number of bottles you buy in your weekly
shop. You would be able to walk in a straighter line and the cyclist
will be able to find a way round you more easily. It's even possible
that you stop imagining things.

Tell that to all the OAPs that suffer broken hips and worse when they are
hit by these bicycle weapons.

There is a far greater threat when walking anywhere. Motor vehicles.

Thanks to JNugent:-

That does *not* mean that I condone or recommend cyclists from ignoring
traffic regulations, merely that I point out that there is little harm which
actually flows from it in reality, even if there is plenty in the weird
imaginations of some.

Old July 20th 13, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

That's a silly forgery.

A stationary car can do no harm to anyone (unless it's on top of them).

The same cannot be said of a bicycle moving along a footway.

The only way that a parked car (by which I mean one parked anywhere, not
just on a footway) can disbenfit someone is via the denial for other
uses of the space it occupies. True, that denial can be egregious (just
think of a fire-engine unable to negotiate a narrow street, or a
pedestrian forced to step out onto a carriageway with fast-moving
traffic on it) but it doesn't cause those dangers itself.
Old July 20th 13, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

At least I gave you the credit.

A stationary car can do no harm to anyone (unless it's on top of them).

I didn't say "stationary motor vehicles represent the far greater threat to
pedestrians". I said that "motor vehicles represent the far greater threat
to pedestrians". Is there a factual error?

Old July 20th 13, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:45:27 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:18:47 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

snip

Guidance he
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e-pavement.pdf

Ah yes : "Guidance". Not mandatory then.

Indeed. You are clever to have spotted that: most people would have
interpreted "guidance" as "legal requirement" and completely
misunderstood.

(Was that another Pavlovian response?)

You couldn't make it up! Squashme UK 44 January 15th 13 06:38 PM
You couldn't make it up! Squashme UK 13 August 27th 11 10:29 AM
You couldn't make it up Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 0 August 15th 11 01:04 PM
You couldn't make it up! Brian Robertson UK 274 May 18th 09 12:54 AM
You Couldn't Make it Up Sam Salt UK 4 October 14th 05 09:35 PM