Money well spent!

Old August 16th 13, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_7_]

Default Money well spent!

Phil W Lee wrote:

What other form of exercise saves you time and money instead of
costing either one or the other?

Without costing..MONEY?

I have just bought a new chain and rear cluster and as my computer must
have bounced of on some track somewhere shall have (well not have but
prefer to have one) to buy a new computer. I regularly need new blocks
cables etc and the rear derailleur is sounding a bit suspect (will have
to have an attack of the braves and try twisting it by hand as tuning
only takes 80% of the noise away) so will probably need to replace that
soon. With the length of time on them wouldn't be surprised if I need
new rims in the not so distant. No cost indeed!
Old August 16th 13, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 16/08/2013 00:34, TMS320 wrote:
"JNugent" wrote
On 15/08/2013 22:11, TMS320 wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in me
On 15/08/2013 13:01, TMS320 wrote:
"JNugent" wrote
On 15/08/2013 10:41, Bertie Wooster wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Is cycling the only known form of exercise?

Flogging a dead horse is an alternative form of exercise.

So contrary to what some people would have you believe, cycling is
certainly not the only form of exercise?

I quite understand that you might not feel able to say "yes" to
that.

I quite understand that he may have considered it a rhetorical
question.

If he did, he was wrong again.

There are some who seem to "think" that cycling is the only means of
exercising. They are are as wrong as you suggest him to have been.

There are some that say that a car is only practical means of going to
the shops.

What's the relevance of that?

People are entitled to hold opinions about things. Even when they're
wrong.

What's the relevance of *that*?

Only to put your opinion of others' opinions into perspective.

I have passed no opinion on the opinions of others.

What's so difficult about accepting that cycling is not the only - or
even anywhere near being the best - form of exercise?

What is the definition of best?

Any you like as long as it can be objectively justified.

If you say what you have in mind then a yes or no answer can be given.
Though no matter what the answer is to your question, of course it is the
best form of exercise. You first.

So you haven't got an objective metric in mind?

It seems you put forward a question but weren't expecting an answer.

I'm certainly not expecting objectively-valid evidence to the effect
that cycling is the best (still less only) form of exercise, if that's
what you meant.
Old August 16th 13, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 16/08/2013 08:15, soup wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:

What other form of exercise saves you time and money instead of
costing either one or the other?

Without costing..MONEY?

I have just bought a new chain and rear cluster and as my computer must
have bounced of on some track somewhere shall have (well not have but
prefer to have one) to buy a new computer. I regularly need new blocks
cables etc and the rear derailleur is sounding a bit suspect (will have
to have an attack of the braves and try twisting it by hand as tuning
only takes 80% of the noise away) so will probably need to replace that
soon. With the length of time on them wouldn't be surprised if I need
new rims in the not so distant. No cost indeed!

OK, costing no money at the margin (we knew what was meant).

Walking costs even less, of course.

Old August 16th 13, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"JNugent" wrote
JNugent wrote:

There are some who seem to "think" that cycling is the only means of
exercising. They are are as wrong as you suggest him to have been.

I have passed no opinion on the opinions of others.

See above for They are are as wrong...

Old August 16th 13, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 16/08/2013 08:55, TMS320 wrote:

"JNugent" wrote
JNugent wrote:

There are some who seem to "think" that cycling is the only means of
exercising. They are are as wrong as you suggest him to have been.

I have passed no opinion on the opinions of others.

See above for They are are as wrong...

See what you are citing, re-read and (this time) comprehend.

I was expressing doubt that anyone might "think" what was being
suggested. We are both well aware of the concept of the debating
position and the corners into which some sometimes paint themselves.
Old August 16th 13, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:19:22 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 16/08/2013 08:15, soup wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:

What other form of exercise saves you time and money instead of
costing either one or the other?

Without costing..MONEY?

I have just bought a new chain and rear cluster and as my computer must
have bounced of on some track somewhere shall have (well not have but
prefer to have one) to buy a new computer. I regularly need new blocks
cables etc and the rear derailleur is sounding a bit suspect (will have
to have an attack of the braves and try twisting it by hand as tuning
only takes 80% of the noise away) so will probably need to replace that
soon. With the length of time on them wouldn't be surprised if I need
new rims in the not so distant. No cost indeed!

OK, costing no money at the margin (we knew what was meant).

Walking costs even less, of course.

Not with the number of shoes my wife has.
Old August 16th 13, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

On 16/08/2013 08:15, soup wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:

What other form of exercise saves you time and money instead of
costing either one or the other?

Without costing..MONEY?

I have just bought a new chain and rear cluster and as my computer must
have bounced of on some track somewhere shall have (well not have but
prefer to have one) to buy a new computer. I regularly need new blocks
cables etc and the rear derailleur is sounding a bit suspect (will have
to have an attack of the braves and try twisting it by hand as tuning
only takes 80% of the noise away) so will probably need to replace that
soon. With the length of time on them wouldn't be surprised if I need
new rims in the not so distant. No cost indeed!

OK, costing no money at the margin (we knew what was meant).

Walking costs even less, of course.

Not with the number of shoes my wife has.

How many legs has she?
Old August 16th 13, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

On 16/08/2013 08:15, soup wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:

What other form of exercise saves you time and money instead of
costing either one or the other?

Without costing..MONEY?

I have just bought a new chain and rear cluster and as my computer must
have bounced of on some track somewhere shall have (well not have but
prefer to have one) to buy a new computer. I regularly need new blocks
cables etc and the rear derailleur is sounding a bit suspect (will have
to have an attack of the braves and try twisting it by hand as tuning
only takes 80% of the noise away) so will probably need to replace that
soon. With the length of time on them wouldn't be surprised if I need
new rims in the not so distant. No cost indeed!

OK, costing no money at the margin (we knew what was meant).

Walking costs even less, of course.

Not with the number of shoes my wife has.

How many legs has she?

Far fewer than her number of shoes.
Old August 16th 13, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alexis

wrote:

On 16/08/2013 08:15, soup wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:

[...]

"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world." -
Marilyn Monroe

Old August 16th 13, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"JNugent" wrote
JNugent wrote:

There are some who seem to "think" that cycling is the only means
of
exercising. They are are as wrong as you suggest him to have been.

I have passed no opinion on the opinions of others.

See above for They are are as wrong...

See what you are citing, re-read and (this time) comprehend.

Only you knows what is going on inside your head. Realise that when a string
of words is understood to have a different meaning to that intended, it is
not
necessarily the recipient's fault.

I was expressing doubt that anyone might "think" what was being suggested.
We are both well aware of the concept of the debating position and the
corners into which some sometimes paint themselves.

Just another collection of words.