weight limit for bikes

Old June 3rd 05, 05:05 PM
paul

Default weight limit for bikes

hi everybody
i wondered if anybody could tell me if at 16 stone i could do damage to my
new shiny trek 1200 hybrid.
this time last year i weighted 22 stone and have been on a diet and fitness
regime since my doctor announced i had high blood pressure,after losing 6
stone(still got 4 to lose) my blood pressure is back to normal levels and
the doc has taken me off the tablets but advised me to take more exercise to
keep the blood pressure down, so i thought to myself what sport could i do
to improve my general health didnt fancy the gym and finally settled on
cycling as something i would enjoy.so getting back to my original question
is there any kind of upper weight limit for bikes.
sorry for being so long winded and telling you my life story.
cheers
paul

Old June 3rd 05, 06:37 PM
Brian G

paul wrote:
hi everybody
i wondered if anybody could tell me if at 16 stone i could do damage to my
new shiny trek 1200 hybrid.
this time last year i weighted 22 stone and have been on a diet and fitness
regime since my doctor announced i had high blood pressure,after losing 6
stone(still got 4 to lose) my blood pressure is back to normal levels and
the doc has taken me off the tablets but advised me to take more exercise to
keep the blood pressure down, so i thought to myself what sport could i do
to improve my general health didnt fancy the gym and finally settled on
cycling as something i would enjoy.so getting back to my original question
is there any kind of upper weight limit for bikes.
sorry for being so long winded and telling you my life story.
cheers
paul

I don't know if there's a stated weight limit for your bike but if there
is it will certainly be well above 16 stone. I'm about 14.5 but have
been much heavier and have never had any problems with my bikes. Just
bear in mind that if you hit potholes or obstacles of any sort you'd be
hitting them with more force than a lighter person (they're much better
avoided anyway). Good luck with the rest of the weight loss.

--
Brian G
Old June 3rd 05, 07:19 PM
Zog The Undeniable

paul wrote:
hi everybody
i wondered if anybody could tell me if at 16 stone i could do damage to my
new shiny trek 1200 hybrid.
this time last year i weighted 22 stone and have been on a diet and fitness
regime since my doctor announced i had high blood pressure,after losing 6
stone(still got 4 to lose) my blood pressure is back to normal levels and
the doc has taken me off the tablets but advised me to take more exercise to
keep the blood pressure down, so i thought to myself what sport could i do
to improve my general health didnt fancy the gym and finally settled on
cycling as something i would enjoy.so getting back to my original question
is there any kind of upper weight limit for bikes.
sorry for being so long winded and telling you my life story.

You might b*gger the wheels if you ride hard, but if you do then they
deserved to be replaced with something stronger anyway (36 spokes and a
decent build job).
Old June 3rd 05, 07:39 PM
Arthur Clune

paul wrote:
: hi everybody
: i wondered if anybody could tell me if at 16 stone i could do damage to my
: new shiny trek 1200 hybrid.

No. If you do damage it at 16 stone it's the fault of the bike, not you (*)

Arthur

(*) obviously, if you try jumping off stuff, then it'll break. But then it
will whatever you weigh if you try and do that.

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
Old June 3rd 05, 08:30 PM
Pete Biggs

paul wrote:
so getting back to my original question is
there any kind of upper weight limit for bikes.

Only certain fancy super-light racing bikes have sub-16-stone weight
limits. You'l be fine on a hybrid. The wheels could be an exception, as
Mr Zog points out. Average machine-built wheels aren't especially good in
the long run even for 6 stone riders.

~PB

Old June 3rd 05, 09:55 PM
Phil Clarke

Im around 16st and give my bikes their fair share of grief over 110+
miles per week. Nothing ever breaks.

My 6'7" 22st mate buckled the wheels on his totally normal mountain bike
when he kept hitting potholes. He had some built with heavy duty rims &
double butted spokes with disc brakes and now has no problems with them
or the rest of the bike.

good luck with getting fit!
Old June 3rd 05, 09:57 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Pete Biggs wrote:
paul wrote:
so getting back to my original question is
there any kind of upper weight limit for bikes.

Only certain fancy super-light racing bikes have sub-16-stone weight
limits.

Nitpick: the R&M Frog has a sub-16-stone weight limit, and it isn't a
fancy super-light racing bike, it's a fancy super-small folder.
Equally irrelevent to Paul, of course, and out of my budget for a folder
even if I wasn't too tall for it as well as too heavy.
Old June 3rd 05, 10:10 PM
paul

"Phil Clarke" wrote in message
Im around 16st and give my bikes their fair share of grief over 110+
miles per week. Nothing ever breaks.

My 6'7" 22st mate buckled the wheels on his totally normal mountain bike
when he kept hitting potholes. He had some built with heavy duty rims &
double butted spokes with disc brakes and now has no problems with them
or the rest of the bike.

good luck with getting fit!

thanks for the replies hopefully in a few months the weight will be a mute
point.

Old June 4th 05, 12:31 PM
Jeremy Collins

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:05:29 +0100, paul
wrote:

hi everybody
i wondered if anybody could tell me if at 16 stone i could do damage to
my
new shiny trek 1200 hybrid.

Nah, you'll be fine. If it's got a suspension seatpost you might
bugger that a bit quicker than normal, but that's no big deal.
Also, double-check the saddle mounting - you don't want it attached
right at the end of the rails.

Keep an eye on the wheels too, although they should be fine. Newcomers
to cycling often don't realise that "buckled" wheels are easily and
cheaply repaired by adjusting the spoke tension.

Good luck with the weight loss, enjoy your riding and let us know
how you get on. I'd recommend setting yourself a cycling goal as
well as weight loss one - for example completing a 60-mile ride by
September.

BTW have you got a heart rate monitor? These can often be a good aid
to weight loss when combined with exercise such as cycling.

--
jc
Old June 4th 05, 01:06 PM
paul

newsp.srufpfse4al0tm@office...
wrote:

[...]

heartrate monitor is on the shopping list i have already spent more on
accesories and spares than the bike cost.
it's expensive this cycling lark....LOL

Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Bike Weight Loss Robert Techniques 4 July 16th 04 06:53 PM
Cycling for weight loss. Update Daniel Crispin General 16 June 30th 04 06:40 PM
target weights for cyclist-specific weight training kitchen Racing 10 January 13th 04 04:47 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM