Cycling books... a list

Old December 21st 09, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nige Danton[_2_]

Default Cycling books... a list

Apologies for the slow follow up. Here's a start on the list - the format is
author, title and arranged in alphabetical order of the author:

If you have suggestions about how to better present the list e.g. reference,
touring, racing, training etc etc - please post.

Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life
Richard's Bicycle Book, Richard Ballentine: a manual of bicycle maintenance
and enjoyment.
Mark Beaumont, The Man Who Cycled the World
Frank Berto, The Dancing Chain: History and Development of the Derailleur
Bicycle
Jobst Brandt, The Bicycle Wheel
Edmund R. Burke, Ed Pavelka, The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling: Build
the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want.
Nicholas Crane, Richard Crane, Bicycles Up Kilimanjaro
Nicholas Crane, Richard Crane, Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Josie Dew, Travels In a Strange State
Josie Dew, A Ride in the Neon Sun
Josie Dew, Wind in My Wheels
Josie Dew, The Sun in My Eyes: Two-Wheeling East
Josie Dew, Slow Coast Home: A 5,000-Mile Cycle Journey Around the Shores of
England and Wales
Josie Dew, Long Cloud Ride: A Cycling Adventure Across New Zealand
Josie Dew, Saddled at Sea: A 15,000-Mile Journey to New Zealand by Russian
Freighter
Simon Doughty, The Long Distance Cyclist's Handbook
John Franklin, Cyclecraft.
Edward Enfield, Greece on My Wheels
Joe Friel, The Cyclist's Training Bible
Bernie Friend, Cycling Back to Happiness: Adventure on the North Sea Cycle
Route
Tim Garratt, Andy Brown, Discovery Road
Tim Hilton,One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers
HMSO, The Highway Code
Paul Howard,Riding High: Shadow Cycling the Tour De France
Alastair Humphreys,Moods of Future Joys
Alastair Humphreys,Thunder & Sunshine
Michael Hutchinson,The Hour
Jerome K. Jerome,Three Men on the Bummel
Paul Kimmage,Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel with a Pro Cyclist
Tim Krabbe,The Rider
Bernard Magnouloux, Travels with Rosinante: 5 years cycling around the world
Tim Moore, French Revolutions
Dervla Murphy,Full Tilt
Anne Mustoe, A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World
Anne Mustoe, Lone Traveller: One Woman, Two Wheels and the World
Graeme Obree, Flying Scotsman
Allan Peiper, Chris Sidwells, A Peiper's Tale
Matt Rendell, A Significant Other: Riding the Centenary Tour de France with
Lance Armstrong
Manuela Ronchi, Gianfranco Josti, Man on the Run: The Life and Death of Marco
Pantani
Paul Salter, Britain: Cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats
Barbara Savage, Miles from Nowhe A Round the World Bicycle Adventure
Matt Seaton, The Escape Artist: Life from the Saddle
Archibald Sharp, Bicycles & Tricycles: A Classic Treatise on Their Design and
Construction
Jamie Smith, Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer
John Stevenson, Fred Milson, The Bike Book
Les Woodland, The Yellow Jersey Companion to the Tour de France

If I've missed anyone's earlier contribution - apologies - post here and I'll
correct the error. If you have any further contributions then do add them
here. I was wondering if we should also include some of the larger websites
e,g, www.bikereader.com, www.crazyguyonabike.com, Lands End to JOG
www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm etc etc?

Finally, what to do with the list? Update and post here periodically? Every
couple of months? Put the list on a website and just post the link here
occasionally?

All contributions and ideas welcome.
--
Nige Danton
email: swop the obvious for g_m_a_i_l
Old December 21st 09, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Nige Danton wrote:

Apologies for the slow follow up. Here's a start on the list - the format is
author, title and arranged in alphabetical order of the author:

If you have suggestions about how to better present the list e.g. reference,
touring, racing, training etc etc - please post.

Definitely group by subject rather than author.

Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life
Paul Kimmage,Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel with a Pro Cyclist
Manuela Ronchi, Gianfranco Josti, Man on the Run: The Life and Death of Marco
Pantani
Graeme Obree, Flying Scotsman
Allan Peiper, Chris Sidwells, A Peiper's Tale
Matt Rendell, A Significant Other: Riding the Centenary Tour de France with
Lance Armstrong

Additions to this section:

Richard Moore, In Search of Robert Millar.

Paul Howard, Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape: The Remarkable Life of
Jacques Anquetil, the First Five-times Winner of the Tour De France.

William Fotheringham, Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi.

Benjo Maso and Michiel Horn, The Sweat of the Gods: Myths and Legends
of Bicycle Racing.
Old December 22nd 09, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington[_3_]

In ,
Nige Danton tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
If you have any further contributions
then do add them here.

Bicycling Science - David Gordon Wilson
Bicycle Design - Mike Burrows
Bad To The Bone - James Waddington

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old December 22nd 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jan[_2_]

A few more from my own collection

Rupert Guiness- Aussie, Aussie, Aussi, Oui, Oui ,Oui
Matt Rendell - Olympic Gangster
Matt Rendell - Kings of The Mountain
Richard Moore- Heroes Villains and Velodromes
Willy Voet- Breaking The Chain
David Walsh - Kelly
Jeremy Whittle - Yellow Fever

Jan
Old December 22nd 09, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Naqerj

Nige Danton wrote:
Apologies for the slow follow up. Here's a start on the list - the format is
author, title and arranged in alphabetical order of the author:

If you have suggestions about how to better present the list e.g. reference,
touring, racing, training etc etc - please post.

Frederick Alderson, Bicycling: A History
Frederick Alderson, England by Bicycle

Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life
Richard's Bicycle Book, Richard Ballentine: a manual of bicycle maintenance
and enjoyment.
Mark Beaumont, The Man Who Cycled the World

Serena Beeley, The History of Bicycles

Frank Berto, The Dancing Chain: History and Development of the Derailleur
Bicycle
Jobst Brandt, The Bicycle Wheel
Edmund R. Burke, Ed Pavelka, The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling: Build
the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want.
Nicholas Crane, Richard Crane, Bicycles Up Kilimanjaro
Nicholas Crane, Richard Crane, Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Nick Crane, Atlas Biker

Josie Dew, Travels In a Strange State
Josie Dew, A Ride in the Neon Sun
Josie Dew, Wind in My Wheels
Josie Dew, The Sun in My Eyes: Two-Wheeling East
Josie Dew, Slow Coast Home: A 5,000-Mile Cycle Journey Around the Shores of
England and Wales
Josie Dew, Long Cloud Ride: A Cycling Adventure Across New Zealand
Josie Dew, Saddled at Sea: A 15,000-Mile Journey to New Zealand by Russian
Freighter

Prior Dodge, The Bicycle

Simon Doughty, The Long Distance Cyclist's Handbook

Tony Doyle, Six Day Rider
Edward Enfield, Downhill all the way

Edward Enfield, Greece on My Wheels

Graeme Fife, Inside the Peloton
John Foster Fraser, Round the World on a Wheel
William Fotheringham, A Century of Cycling
William Fotheringham, Put me back on my bike

John Franklin, Cyclecraft.
Joe Friel, The Cyclist's Training Bible
Bernie Friend, Cycling Back to Happiness: Adventure on the North Sea Cycle
Route
Tim Garratt, Andy Brown, Discovery Road

Tony Hadland, The Moulton Bicycle
Tony Hadland, The Sturmey Archer Story
Tony Hadland & John Pinkerton, It's in the Bag

Tim Hilton, One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers
HMSO, The Highway Code

Barry Hoban, Watching the Wheels Go Round
Geoffrey Houston Bowden, Raleigh Bicycle

Paul Howard,Riding High: Shadow Cycling the Tour De France
Alastair Humphreys,Moods of Future Joys
Alastair Humphreys,Thunder & Sunshine
Michael Hutchinson,The Hour
Jerome K. Jerome,Three Men on the Bummel
Paul Kimmage,Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel with a Pro Cyclist
Tim Krabbe,The Rider
Bernard Magnouloux, Travels with Rosinante: 5 years cycling around the world

James McGurn, On Your Bicycle
Christian Miller, Daisy, Daisy

Tim Moore, French Revolutions
Dervla Murphy,Full Tilt
Anne Mustoe, A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World
Anne Mustoe, Lone Traveller: One Woman, Two Wheels and the World

Eric Newby, Round Ireland in Low Gear
Ken & Maureen Nichols, The Winged Wheelers of Suffolk

Graeme Obree, Flying Scotsman

Phil O'Connor, 21 Years of Cycling Photography

Allan Peiper, Chris Sidwells, A Peiper's Tale

Hugh Porter, A Champion on Two Wheels

Matt Rendell, A Significant Other: Riding the Centenary Tour de France with
Lance Armstrong

Andrew Ritchie, King of the Road
Andrew Ritchie, Major Taylor
Stephen Roche, The Agony and the Ecstasy

Manuela Ronchi, Gianfranco Josti, Man on the Run: The Life and Death of Marco
Pantani
Paul Salter, Britain: Cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats

Nick Sanders, The Great Bike Ride

Barbara Savage, Miles from Nowhe A Round the World Bicycle Adventure
Matt Seaton, The Escape Artist: Life from the Saddle
Archibald Sharp, Bicycles & Tricycles: A Classic Treatise on Their Design and
Construction
Jamie Smith, Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer

Steve Snowling & Ken Evans, Bicycle Mechanics

John Stevenson, Fred Milson, The Bike Book

Major Taylor, The Fastest Bicycle Rider in the World
Tom Vernon, Fat Man on a Bicycle
Tom Vernon, Fat Man on a Roman Road
R J Way, The Complete Cyclist
H G Wells, The Wheels of Chance
Les Woodland, A Spoke in the Wheel

Old December 24th 09, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Nige Danton" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:51:32 +0000, Naqerj
wrote:

ok, thanks for the contributions and suggestions. Here's a
consolidated list of the books and I've used three headings;

Touring and General Cycling,
Racing,
Reference and Training.

There is a fourth section for the website links.

May I suggest adding Daniel Behrman's "The Man Who Loved Bicycles,
the Memoirs of an Autophobe" under general, especially because I
would like to nominate it as the best bike book ever written. It's
out of print, but it can be found - yes, the whole book - on
www.bikereader.com

Jeremy Parker

Old December 26th 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Naqerj

Jeremy Parker wrote:

May I suggest adding Daniel Behrman's "The Man Who Loved Bicycles,
the Memoirs of an Autophobe" under general, especially because I
would like to nominate it as the best bike book ever written. It's
out of print, but it can be found

Seconded - in fact I've got a copy and am now wondering how I left it
out of my list.

Had three cycling books for Christmas - two are already on Nige's list,
but one isn't:

Kathy Hindle and Lee Irvine, A Thorough Good Fellow - The story of Dan
Albone, inventor & cyclist.
--
Andrew