Shipping a recumbent - SWB, USS model

Old August 16th 05, 02:54 AM
Grande News

Default Shipping a recumbent - SWB, USS model

I am planning a trip to PA to participate in "The Dam Ride" which goes from
the Pittsburgh area to 70 miles upstream following the Yough river along a
rails-to-trails route. I am taking a Vision R-44 (SWB, USS). This will be
the first time I've traveled with my recumbent via air.

I have spoken to the bike shop and UPS and I am planning on packing the bike
in two boxes. The frame and at least one wheel will ship in a standard bike
box. I'm told this will keep the shipping cost to a minimum by using a
standard bike box. The seat and maybe one wheel will go in the other box.
I'm looking for any suggestions on packing the bike to make the trip?

My original plan was to check these boxes as luggage, but found out the
airlines (American Airlines) will charge me $80 for the oversized box. I'm
now thinking of shipping the boxes UPS ahead of my arrival (cost of around
$50). Any feedback on either of these methods?

After the ride, I plan on repacking the bike in the boxes and shipping them
home.