Being stopped by a Trooper...

Old September 11th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Biker52

Default Being stopped by a Trooper...

Quick question on procedure. If I'm stopped riding along not having
done anything, bike legal, low traffic road do I have the same right
as a car driver to signal to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?

Also, why would a police car passing me on a narrow road, low traffic,
plenty of visibility, no other traffic coming and not automatically
slow down to the speed limit a little before getting to me?

If he had a blow out, or the wheel slipped, or someone suddenly came
up and lurched at a side street, I'd be toast at 40mph (limit was 25).

Now almost -everyone- speeds there, b/c it's -right- off the
Interstate (around two bends, a past a gas station and a few houses,
and you still have that skewed perception of driving 65.

But, seriously, I'd expect more out of a professional driver.

Old September 11th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-09-11, Biker52 wrote:
Quick question on procedure. If I'm stopped riding along not having
done anything, bike legal, low traffic road do I have the same right
as a car driver to signal to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?

Exactly what signal would that be for a car driver? The never-ending
blinker? IME, that ****es them off, so I just pull over immediately (or
within 1.4 mile or so). Channeling Hunter S Thompson [1] is not wise, in
general.

In your case, point to where you intend to go. Turn your head and make eye
contact, if possible.

So, why did he pull you over, anyway?

Also, why would a police car passing me on a narrow road, low traffic,
plenty of visibility, no other traffic coming and not automatically
slow down to the speed limit a little before getting to me?

Ignorance. Just keep your mouth shut when dealing with the trooper, and
then write a nice letter to the opinion page of your local newspaper. You
could try his supervising officer, but if the whole department is like this
guy, that won't do you any good.

But, seriously, I'd expect more out of a professional driver.

He's a professional cop, not a professional driver.

[1] "Make the ******* chase you; he will follow".

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old September 12th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 11, 4:50 pm, Biker52 wrote:
Quick question on procedure. If I'm stopped riding along not having
done anything, bike legal, low traffic road do I have the same right
as a car driver to signal to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?

Also, why would a police car passing me on a narrow road, low traffic,
plenty of visibility, no other traffic coming and not automatically
slow down to the speed limit a little before getting to me?

If he had a blow out, or the wheel slipped, or someone suddenly came
up and lurched at a side street, I'd be toast at 40mph (limit was 25).

Now almost -everyone- speeds there, b/c it's -right- off the
Interstate (around two bends, a past a gas station and a few houses,
and you still have that skewed perception of driving 65.

But, seriously, I'd expect more out of a professional driver.

When I've been stopped by troopers and have driven a little farther to
get to a safer spot to pull over, they've never had a problem with it.
As long as you slow down and let them know you do intend to pull over,
it usually isn't a problem.

Smokey

Old September 12th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Campsie

On Sep 11, 10:50 pm, Biker52 wrote:
Quick question on procedure. If I'm stopped riding along not having
done anything, bike legal, low traffic road do I have the same right
as a car driver to signal to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?

Also, why would a police car passing me on a narrow road, low traffic,
plenty of visibility, no other traffic coming and not automatically
slow down to the speed limit a little before getting to me?

If he had a blow out, or the wheel slipped, or someone suddenly came
up and lurched at a side street, I'd be toast at 40mph (limit was 25).

Now almost -everyone- speeds there, b/c it's -right- off the
Interstate (around two bends, a past a gas station and a few houses,
and you still have that skewed perception of driving 65.

But, seriously, I'd expect more out of a professional driver.

I was stopped by two cops one night last week for riding with no
lights after I went through two red lights and and given a telling off
wich was very nice of them as I'd drank about four or five pints of
beer and could hve been in real trouble but before they drove off,
hopefully to deal with real crime, they told me that for the last six
years here in Britain, it has been illegal to ride a bycicle without
one of those silly looking plastic helmets that only complete fannies
actually wear. This is very sad. It's like taking nail clippers off
you at the airport in case you try to hijack the plane but you can go
right on through with a glass bottle of vodka that you bought in duty
free! It's just another waqy to make you do as you are told. I'm
afraid the ******s are inheriting the earth and Eric the red is glad
that he's a long time dead. I'm afraid the numbers up for us real
men.When the feminists see us riding pushbikes looking like dorks they
will know, they've finnaly got us by the balls.

Old September 12th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Campsie" wrote: (clip) you can go right on through with a glass bottle of
vodka that you bought in duty
free! (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If it will make you feel any better, that isn't allowed in the US (and I
would be surprised if it is allowed where you live), ever since it was
learned that terrorists can make explosives out of common liquids. I
believe, also, that the restriction on nail clippers has been eased.

Old September 12th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Biker52" wrote: (clip) do I have the same right as a car driver to signal
to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby service station before
dismounting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. Neither of you has that *right,* although the cop has the discression
and requirement to allow you to do what is reasonable and safe. It's not
written down anywhere, as far as I know--it's just the way things work.
But, after a few miles of following you with his red light on, he may decide
that things have gone far enough.

Oh, and: "car driver rolling to rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?" I would like to see this hypothetical
driver dismount. I guess if he was driving a 1901 Hupmobile.....

Old September 12th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,

On 2007-09-11, Biker52 wrote:
Quick question on procedure. If I'm stopped riding along not having
done anything, bike legal, low traffic road do I have the same right
as a car driver to signal to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?

Exactly what signal would that be for a car driver? The never-ending
blinker? IME, that ****es them off, so I just pull over immediately (or
within 1.4 mile or so). Channeling Hunter S Thompson [1] is not wise, in
general.

The standard way is to reduce speed slightly and wave your right hand
across the rear-view mirror area. This is a pretty visible signal
acknowledging the presence of the officer.

But even assuming you meant 1/4 mile or so, I have to wonder under what
circumstances anyone would be likely to drive further than that? Maybe
on a bridge or in a tunnel, but that would be completely acceptable to
any peace officer (unless of course they were pulling you over because
they suspected you of attempted regicide or something).

Old September 12th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smn

"Campsie" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Stop worrying and have another pint for me.

Old September 12th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smn

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Biker52" wrote: (clip) do I have the same right as a car driver to
signal to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby service station before
dismounting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. Neither of you has that *right,* although the cop has the
discression and requirement to allow you to do what is reasonable and
safe. It's not written down anywhere, as far as I know--it's just the way
things work. But, after a few miles of following you with his red light
on, he may decide that things have gone far enough.

Oh, and: "car driver rolling to rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?" I would like to see this
hypothetical driver dismount. I guess if he was driving a 1901
Hupmobile.....

What did the trooper finally end up charging you with or lecturing you on?

Old September 12th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Biker52[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:25:11 GMT, "smn" wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Biker52" wrote: (clip) do I have the same right as a car driver to
signal to tell the cop I'm rolling to the nearby service station before
dismounting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. Neither of you has that *right,* although the cop has the
discression and requirement to allow you to do what is reasonable and
safe. It's not written down anywhere, as far as I know--it's just the way
things work. But, after a few miles of following you with his red light
on, he may decide that things have gone far enough.

Oh, and: "car driver rolling to rolling to the nearby
service station before dismounting?" I would like to see this
hypothetical driver dismount. I guess if he was driving a 1901
Hupmobile.....

What did the trooper finally end up charging you with or lecturing you on?

You talking to me? First time, in the park

First Officer: 'do you have a horn or bell on your bike'.
Me: point to obvious horn on handlebar.
Second officer: 'I didn't even know it was legal to ride in the park'.
Then they frisked me and found a bike tool. After that, I rode on
home. Probable cause? I -think- me wearing a jacket and balaclava on a
60 degree day (windy, spring just starting, wore that all winter)

Second time 'did you see a kid riding down here pulling another bike
behind him'.
Me: "nossir".

Neither time should they have stopped me, imo. In the future I'll be
carrying a picture of me and the Deputy Chief shaking hands (he's an
old workout buddy) and a letter from the Chief about bikes being
considered lawful traffic. Then we'll get pictures of all of us
arm-in-arm, and maybe I'll get 'em to put their hats on backward for
one.

I had stopped by my LBS [email protected] Australia 1 June 25th 07 03:33 AM
Stopped for speeding? Dylan Smith UK 84 April 16th 07 04:06 PM
Stopped for speeding? [email protected] UK 1 April 12th 07 02:01 PM
doping will never be stopped. gym.gravity Racing 2 August 10th 06 08:20 PM
Treasure Trooper [email protected] General 0 July 5th 06 01:36 AM