Being stopped by a Trooper...

Old September 12th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole

Default Being stopped by a Trooper...

wrote:

When I've been stopped by troopers and have driven a little farther to
get to a safer spot to pull over, they've never had a problem with it.
As long as you slow down and let them know you do intend to pull over,
it usually isn't a problem.

I had this situation once where the trooper hit his lights just as I
(we) were at an exit (from highway). There was no room to pull over on
the ramp (one lane), so I figured I'd go to the end & pull over just
after. He didn't wait, he zoomed around me & did a "Hawaii 5-0" hard
brake cutting me off (& blocking the ramp). The only thing he didn't do
was draw his gun. My "crime"? I didn't signal a lane change moments
earlier when I suddenly came up on a road crew blocking my lane (in
heavy traffic). I didn't get a ticket, but it was an adrenaline experience.

Old September 13th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 11, 9:14 pm, Campsie wrote:

I was stopped by two cops one night last week for riding with no
lights...

Bad idea.

after I went through two red lights...

Another bad idea.

and and given a telling off...

Good.

wich was very nice of them as I'd drank about four or five pints of
beer and could hve been in real trouble...

Yet another bad idea.

but before they drove off,
hopefully to deal with real crime, they told me that for the last six
years here in Britain, it has been illegal to ride a bycicle without
one of those silly looking plastic helmets that only complete fannies
actually wear.

If so, they lied. It's never been illegal to ride without a helmet
anywhere in Britain, AFAIK.

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 13th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
AustinMN

On Sep 12, 12:25 pm, Biker52
Neither time should they have stopped me, imo. In the future I'll be
carrying a picture of me and the Deputy Chief shaking hands (he's an
old workout buddy) and a letter from the Chief about bikes being
considered lawful traffic.

Anybody else find the above logically self-contradictory?

Somehow, I think if the chief had been an old workout buddy of mine,
there wouldn't be a need for the photo, because there would not be a
"next time."

Austin

Old September 14th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:14:13 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, Campsie
wrote:

they told me that for the last six
years here in Britain, it has been illegal to ride a bycicle without
one of those silly looking plastic helmets that only complete fannies
actually wear. This is very sad.

you obviously don't have much that a helmet would protect. go
ahead and be another darwin stat as far as i'm concerned.

Old September 14th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Biker52[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:25:46 -0700, AustinMN
wrote:

On Sep 12, 12:25 pm, Biker52
Neither time should they have stopped me, imo. In the future I'll be
carrying a picture of me and the Deputy Chief shaking hands (he's an
old workout buddy) and a letter from the Chief about bikes being
considered lawful traffic.

Anybody else find the above logically self-contradictory?

Somehow, I think if the chief had been an old workout buddy of mine,
there wouldn't be a need for the photo, because there would not be a
"next time."

Austin

First, I was inserting some humor. I worked out with him in the '70s
and we've lost contact, but he'd remember me. Even so, I wouldn't
mention this; it's over and nothing happened. If I got a pic, eh,
maybe I'd carry it. Who knows, maybe this would tweak some of them.

Second, the current Chief did write a letter about 'lawful traffic' in
1999, and I finally found it, printed it and it's in plastic in my
jersey pocket, along with info about not needing to carry ID, or give
SS#. I do carry a picture ID, for medical reasons, though.

I'm hearing lots and lots of stories about cyclists being stopped, and
these are not criminals, they're white collar guys not doing anything
wrong. Why are the cops bothering with someone who is clearly not a
problem? Maybe they're jealous of people 'playing' on a bike while
they're working? I've been told that.

If it's not absolutely necessary, I really don't want to be stopped on
my ride by anyone, cops, peds, gawkers, gangs. Do you?

Old September 14th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Thomas of Cannondale

I'm hearing lots and lots of stories about cyclists being stopped, and
these are not criminals, they're white collar guys not doing anything
wrong. Why are the cops bothering with someone who is clearly not a
problem? Maybe they're jealous of people 'playing' on a bike while
they're working? I've been told that.

If it's not absolutely necessary, I really don't want to be stopped on
my ride by anyone, cops, peds, gawkers, gangs. Do you?

When a policeman stops you, do the "Gay" thing. That is: act, sound,
display,,, be GAY.

The more homosexual you sound the better. This does not work as well for
women unfortunately.

Policemen are deathly afraid of homosexual men. The reason? Most policemen
are closet homo's themselves.

When confronted with a Gay bicyclist, they start getting aroused. The old
Billy Club .. ??

==

If this does not work;;;

Keep a banana in your front bag. Slip in into your bike shorts as you get
off the bike.

This will show up as a huge ... you know.

The policeman will get very excited and disturbed that you have such a huge
"bottom braket".

===

One warning..

Don't to either of the above if you live in Tennesee. Or Georgia, Alabama,

You may find yourself sitting in a bucket of warm crisco.. if you get my
meaning...

Old September 14th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote: (clip) Policemen are deathly afraid of
homosexual men. The reason? Most policemen are closet homo's themselves.
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oy! Have YOU got a wrong numbah.

Old September 14th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Thomas of Cannondale

My point exactly..

You sound like a policeman and are deffinitely Gay.

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote: (clip) Policemen are deathly afraid of
homosexual men. The reason? Most policemen are closet homo's
themselves. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oy! Have YOU got a wrong numbah.

Old September 15th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote: You sound like a policeman and are
deffinitely Gay.
Go to the blackboard and write "definitely" 100 times.
You get off easy this time, but if you write "gay" with a capital again,
it's back to the blackboard you go.

I had stopped by my LBS [email protected] Australia 1 June 25th 07 03:33 AM
Stopped for speeding? Dylan Smith UK 84 April 16th 07 04:06 PM
Stopped for speeding? [email protected] UK 1 April 12th 07 02:01 PM
doping will never be stopped. gym.gravity Racing 2 August 10th 06 08:20 PM
Treasure Trooper [email protected] General 0 July 5th 06 01:36 AM