Pedal axle extenders in Europe

Old June 27th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Pedal axle extenders in Europe

Anyone know where I can get pedal extenders in Europe? You know, a
piece of metal threaded female on one side to accept the pedal's
threaded end, and threaded male the other end to screw into the crank.
And preferably not 45USD a pair either, like the American ones, which
seem overpriced.

***
I have several pairs of excellent pedals, VP-191, with industrial-
quality bearings, which run smooth as silk, but they're a bit small
for my feet, so I'd like to space them out from the crank by an inch
or so, up to say 30mm.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html
Old June 27th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 27 June, 16:15, Andre Jute wrote:
Anyone know where I can get pedal extenders in Europe? You know, a
piece of metal threaded female on one side to accept the pedal's
threaded end, and threaded male the other end to screw into the crank.
And preferably not 45USD a pair either, like the American ones, which
seem overpriced.

***
I have several pairs of excellent pedals, VP-191, with industrial-
quality bearings, which run smooth as silk, but they're a bit small
for my feet, so I'd like to space them out from the crank by an inch
or so, up to say 30mm.

I have no idea what I'm on about, so feel free to poke fun. Try
looking for a pedal that has a long axle. Perhaps there is a model
varient in a style you like. I'm almost certain there must be someone
in the world still making long axle rubber tread pedals. China,
India. Might be worth checking out those little shops that have stood
for forty years and more and see if they still have a pair of BSA or
Rudge rubber pedals. Check out Raleigh parts and Cyclo, in case
those long axle patterns are still made.
Old June 27th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 27 June, 17:11, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

How about a chrome and rubber MKS3000r?

http://www.theoldbicycleshowroom.co....dals-662-p.asp

Other sellers describe the frame as alloy, so snap up these if they
are big enough.

Old June 27th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 27 June, 16:15, Andre Jute wrote:
Anyone know where I can get pedal extenders in Europe? You know, a
piece of metal threaded female on one side to accept the pedal's
threaded end, and threaded male the other end to screw into the crank.
And preferably not 45USD a pair either, like the American ones, which
seem overpriced.

***
I have several pairs of excellent pedals, VP-191, with industrial-
quality bearings, which run smooth as silk, but they're a bit small
for my feet, so I'd like to space them out from the crank by an inch
or so, up to say 30mm.

All those VP flats look a bit small, largest dimension I found was
107mm which is not wide enough for my normal sized feet unless I was
to stick to smooth roads. Then again, what about the wellies? I
think you would be better ignoring those pedals and just look for
something bigger when needed. Remember pedals and crank ends get
bashed, should you USE a bike so any delicate fabrication is wasted.
Old June 27th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 27, 5:11*pm, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

I'm really very keen on the bearing in those pedals. I've never had
any other pedals that ran that unobtrusively and plenty that felt like
they had poor quality sand in them. That is why I'd like to keep them,
and am looking for extenders. -- AJ
Old June 27th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 27, 5:35*pm, David White wrote:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-K...s-Pedal-Adapto...

Delivered USD62. That's excessive. I can probably build a pair of high
quality pedals for only two or three times what SJS charges for an
adaptor. I take the point in your other post though, that the adaptor
by itself, as an individual item amortizing the whole its own set-up
cost, might be even more expensive. -- AJ

Old June 27th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 27, 6:07*pm, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

Nothing delicate about those VP-191 except their appearance. They last
and last, and shrug off years and, most likely, abuse. Like those
Kinex bottom brackets I was describing yesterday, the VP-191 pedal is
a sleeper top-class OEM have known about probably forever (I've lost
count of the number of names under which it has appeared), but which
passes unnoticed by the average cycling Joe. -- Andre Jute
Old June 27th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speci...tem156427.html