child trailer

Old December 21st 04, 08:50 PM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:26:14 -0600, ,
Tim McNamara wrote:

I've never used OE so I have no
specific idea what setting might be changed, unfortunately (actually,
I've never used Windows for more than a few minutes).

I'm a pleb who has never used anything but Windows. Though, I've not
permitted any Microsoft application web access since ~1996.

I settled on Forte Agent for Usenet when it was still in beta as it
automated downloading, concatenating and decoding multi-part binaries
better than anything else for Windows.
--
zk
Old December 21st 04, 09:20 PM

David
I'm not writing this to argue or contradict you.
Computers & the internet baffle me.
What newsreader (& sender. I desperately need one w/ a good spell
check) should I be using? I certainly don't like Google, but I'm
familiar w/ it. I would prefer to not pay for one not so much because
of the $, rather I just don=92t want to be bothered paying another bill
every month.
Happy Holidays, John

Old December 21st 04, 11:46 PM
Tim McNamara

Zoot Katz writes:

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:26:14 -0600, ,
Tim McNamara wrote:

I've never used OE so I have no specific idea what setting might be
changed, unfortunately (actually, I've never used Windows for more
than a few minutes).

I'm a pleb who has never used anything but Windows. Though, I've not
permitted any Microsoft application web access since ~1996.

I settled on Forte Agent for Usenet when it was still in beta as it
automated downloading, concatenating and decoding multi-part
binaries better than anything else for Windows.

I've of course never used Forte Agent, never having used Windows more
than momentarily. I have seen several people speak very highly of it,
however.
Old December 22nd 04, 01:51 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:46:39 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

Zoot Katz writes:

I settled on Forte Agent for Usenet when it was still in beta as it
automated downloading, concatenating and decoding multi-part
binaries better than anything else for Windows.

I've of course never used Forte Agent, never having used Windows more
than momentarily. I have seen several people speak very highly of it,
however.

Works fine under Wine.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old December 22nd 04, 11:58 AM
David Damerell

begin quoting Tim McNamara :
Well, then, Claire, I stand corrected! David, I am curious about what
it is that you did, since it is transparent to my newsreaders.

OE interprets any line beginning;

beginspacespace

as starting an attachment, because that's how uuencoded attachments start.
This is symptomatic of the more general problem that MSIE (which is
hopelessly intertwined with MSOE) tries to infer the type of a document
from the contents, not from the headers (eg, the Content-Type: header of
an HTTP response) and an absurdly wide idea of what might be uuencoded.

It doesn't affect any other newsreader since no-one else has been daft
enough to implement such a misfeature; and as you will appreciate it's
unequivocally true that there is nothing wrong with my articles per se.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old December 22nd 04, 02:06 PM
Neil Brooks

David Damerell wrote (and I had to use someone else's thoughtfully-provided
trick to unearth):

OE interprets any line beginning;

beginspacespace

as starting an attachment, because that's how uuencoded attachments start.
This is symptomatic of the more general problem that MSIE (which is
hopelessly intertwined with MSOE) tries to infer the type of a document
from the contents, not from the headers (eg, the Content-Type: header of
an HTTP response) and an absurdly wide idea of what might be uuencoded.

It doesn't affect any other newsreader since no-one else has been daft
enough to implement such a misfeature; and as you will appreciate it's
unequivocally true that there is nothing wrong with my articles per se.

Neil Brooks Replies:

So, David . . . I take it that you /are/ either intentionally inserting the
"beginspacespace" text into your posts, or at least are doing /nothing/
to remove them once programmatically inserted by your newsreader software?

Old December 22nd 04, 05:54 PM
John Everett

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:26:18 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

Your messages are all as attachments, and can't be read under OE. As a
result, you appear to be posting blank messages. I tried to contact you
privately, but the mail bounced.

Someone else, on a different newsgroup, when alerted to this problem, let us
all know that he felt like it was our tough luck for using a lousy Microsoft
product. I hope your attitude is not the same. After all, the point of
usenet is communication. OE is a widely-used product, even if you don't like
it, or think we should all be using some other newsreader. If you post
things that a large number of people can't read, then it's not just us who
are losing out.

Having just read a number of responses to this article, let me gently
suggest that using OE is not a good idea for a number of reasons, not
least of which is potential virus vulnerability.

Has anyone else noticed that over the past couple of years the most
damaging viruses have exploited security deficiencies in MS products?
For this reason (and a bit of anti-MS prejudice) I use Pegasus Mail
(email), Firefox (browser), and Agent (newsreader); even though I run
Windows XP.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old December 22nd 04, 06:39 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:18:41 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
wrote in message
:

Thge mind boggles. Why would you need a helmet inside a stable
two-wheel trailer in the first place?

Simple. If you want your kid to wear a helmet when s/he rides a bike,
you start getting the kid used to wearing a helmet when s/he rides the
trailer. And, of course, you model such behavior by wearing one
yourself while you're towing the trailer.

And in the car, of course, since that's where the majority of serious
head injuries occur.

I know what your answer will be. I'm not trying to influence YOU to
wear a helmet, but you will proselytize me to repent and cast away my
helmet.

An argument which is flawed at its outset. Click the link in the
..sig.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Doggy Trailer Danny Colyer UK 4 August 21st 03 08:57 PM