An experiment to prove the helmet law proponants RIGHT (or wrong)

Old January 19th 05, 01:44 PM
Mark McNeill

Response to dave:
Helmets do work against magpie strikes. Of course a magpie strike to
the back of the head aint that likely to be lethal Its the only
area tho where the effectiveness of a helmet seems clear to me.. (Waits
for howls of rebuttal)

Howl If covered, they're damned good at keeping the rain off. /Howl

--
Mark, UK.
Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.
Old January 19th 05, 05:11 PM
Mark Thompson

Its the only
area tho where the effectiveness of a helmet seems clear to me.. (Waits
for howls of rebuttal)

Okay, you weren't being entirely serious but it is important to remember
that helmets are very effective at preventing many minor but still painful
injuries to the top of the head. They're actually very good at doing what
they're designed for.

Mark.
Old January 19th 05, 07:44 PM
David Hansen

On 19 Jan 2005 17:11:48 GMT someone who may be Mark Thompson
wrote this:-

Okay, you weren't being entirely serious but it is important to remember
that helmets are very effective at preventing many minor but still painful
injuries to the top of the head. They're actually very good at doing what
they're designed for.

Though there is little chance of hitting the top of one's head when
cycling to work.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old January 19th 05, 07:50 PM
Mark Thompson

Though there is little chance of hitting the top of one's head when
cycling to work.

Yes. This is the second problem that cyclists face. Some people think me
popping 15 minutes down the road every day is some kind of extreme sport
:-/
Old January 19th 05, 10:04 PM
David Martin

dave wrote:
And I was being entirely serious Their are a dozen holes in my
helmet from magpie hits.. None in my head. Clearly in that respect
they work.

Wht is it about your helmet that makes them a corvid magnet?

...d
Old January 20th 05, 12:05 AM
JLB

dave wrote:
David Martin wrote:

dave wrote:

And I was being entirely serious Their are a dozen holes in my
helmet from magpie hits.. None in my head. Clearly in that respect
they work.

Wht is it about your helmet that makes them a corvid magnet?

nah its one particular maggie.

Is it the helmet that attracts it?

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old January 20th 05, 08:44 AM
David Martin

On 20/1/05 10:13 pm, in article , "dave"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No it wasn't.. Fix the date on your computer please...

...d

Old January 20th 05, 09:14 AM
dkahn400

David Martin wrote:
On 20/1/05 10:13 pm, in article ,

"dave"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No it wasn't.. Fix the date on your computer please...

Are you sure? He's in Australia. 20 Jan got there before it reached
Britain.

--
Dave...

Old January 20th 05, 10:46 AM
Richard

dave wrote:

That would be magpie strikes... maybe taps from branches. A mate got
in a fight one.. in which his helmet was clobbered... and in fact fell
appart..

In which case it failed. Helmets are designed to absorb impact by
plastic deformation of the polystyrene inner, not brittle fracture. It
absorbed far less energy in the latter mode.