My new Bianchi doesnt fit anything :-(

Old May 3rd 05, 08:24 PM
turkeytickler

Default My new Bianchi doesnt fit anything :-(

Just taken delivery of my new Bianchi 1885 Alu hydro carbon frame.

When I ordered it from my LBS I checked that it would fit my existing
components and even got the salesman to put my existing seatpost in the
seat tube of a (now regrettably) similar but not identical model. He
assured me that they have been a Bianchi dealer for 8 years or so and if
it fitted this frame it would fit the one I ordered...

Well guess what - the seat tube is oversized and my seatpost is too
loose and my front mech wont band on. Whats more since Im using ultegra
9 - I dont fancy my chances of getting hold of a 9 speed braze on
front mech.

I feel that I was diligent enough in my checks that things would work
and my decision to purchase was made on wrong information. The Bianchi
catalogue does not specify the dimensions of the seat tube.

I am going to go down first thing in the morning to see what they can do
about it..... my stance is that it was their mistake so i dont see why I
should be out of pocket, but I realise it was a genuine mistake so as a
compromise I will offer to buy a replacement seat post at cost price if
they give me a front mech that will fit (or vice versa) - and not
anything below Ultegra spec - if they cant manage that I guess I am
looking at a refund and no bike to ride until whatever alternative I
choose turns up. If they want to refund it I will make them remove the
parts I have already fitted.

Anyone have any similar experience? What was the outcome? Can you
think of any tricks I can use to get around the problem - i dont want to
use a seatpost shim if I can get away with it...

Does anyone know if an Ultegra 10 front mech will work (I am guessing
the cage is narrower)?

thanks

Chris
Old May 3rd 05, 10:53 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 03 May 2005 19:24:12 GMT, turkeytickler wrote in
message :

I feel that I was diligent enough in my checks that things would work
and my decision to purchase was made on wrong information. The Bianchi
catalogue does not specify the dimensions of the seat tube.

Sale of goods act. Money back or they fix the problem. I'm guessing
they'll give you your money back, leaving you bikeless...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Old May 4th 05, 05:54 PM
turkeytickler

turkeytickler wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2005 19:24:12 GMT, turkeytickler wrote in
message :

I feel that I was diligent enough in my checks that things would work
and my decision to purchase was made on wrong information. The
Bianchi catalogue does not specify the dimensions of the seat tube.

Sale of goods act. Money back or they fix the problem. I'm guessing
they'll give you your money back, leaving you bikeless...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

my guess too :-(

Update - I managed to get a new seatpost and front mech at cost price so
im only a little out of pocket and the shop were very helpful in getting
me up and running again so Im happy......