Damn...

Old December 13th 05, 02:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Damn...

....The elusive Gemma K finally turned up for one of
my rides (the Norton Summit TT) , and I missed it :-)

Old December 13th 05, 06:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Michael Warner wrote:
...The elusive Gemma K finally turned up for one of
my rides (the Norton Summit TT) , and I missed it :-)

Don't know the lass but I presume the ride you speak of is up the new
Norton Summit Rd, under all the maggie nests. The time trial was more to
get away from our feathered friends.
I believe that I rode so hard on that ride that the moment I stopped at
the pub on Norton Summit my tyre blew from heat and exhaustion. I wished
it had blown far earlier in the ride.

For the next time I go back to Adelaide how often do you do these
informal "TT" ?
And possibly not in maggie season?
Old December 13th 05, 09:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle

DD Wrote:
Michael Warner wrote:
...The elusive Gemma K finally turned up for one of
my rides (the Norton Summit TT) , and I missed it :-)

Don't know the lass but I presume the ride you speak of is up the new
Norton Summit Rd, under all the maggie nests. The time trial was more
get away from our feathered friends.
I believe that I rode so hard on that ride that the moment I stopped
at
the pub on Norton Summit my tyre blew from heat and exhaustion. I
wished
it had blown far earlier in the ride.

For the next time I go back to Adelaide how often do you do these
informal "TT" ?
And possibly not in maggie season?

Aint this climb a regular on cycle2max.com ???
Nice ride now that the tunnel/freeway is there.
Riding down is better tho

the last few corners inc devil's elbow (?) are wicked

--
flyingdutch

Old December 14th 05, 12:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Michael Warner" wrote in message

...The elusive Gemma K finally turned up for one of
my rides (the Norton Summit TT) , and I missed it :-)

Don't worry Michael, I won't make a habit of it :-)

Old December 14th 05, 12:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...
Aint this climb a regular on cycle2max.com ???
Nice ride now that the tunnel/freeway is there.
Riding down is better tho

the last few corners inc devil's elbow (?) are wicked

You're mixing up the Old Freeway with Norton Summit. They're different
climbs altogether.
Norton Summit is the most popular climb in Adelaide.
Cheers
Gemma

Old December 14th 05, 10:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Gemma_k wrote -

Norton Summit is the most popular climb in Adelaide.

.... and if you are in Adelaide sometime [say for the Tour down Under], ask a
local like Gemma for directions to the relaxing alternative route up Coach
House Rd and Woodhill Drive, where they have to cut grooves the road surface
so the damn cars can get up it

Not a particularily long ride, but I can't remember a steeper road climb in
Australia - Dead Horse Gap on the Khancoban side of Thredbo and Bullli Pass
out of Wollongong have their moments but Adelaide's entry IMHO wins the knee
destruction contest.

regards, Andrew (who confesses to occasionally using a triple)

Old December 14th 05, 12:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:21:30 +0800, DD wrote:

Don't know the lass but I presume the ride you speak of is up the new
Norton Summit Rd, under all the maggie nests. The time trial was more to
get away from our feathered friends.

I've never been bombed going up there.

I believe that I rode so hard on that ride that the moment I stopped at
the pub on Norton Summit my tyre blew from heat and exhaustion. I wished
it had blown far earlier in the ride.

It's not particularly steep, but it's reasonably long and steady,
with some nice views, and everyone else has a NS time for your
comparing pleasure (or pain).

For the next time I go back to Adelaide how often do you do these
informal "TT" ?

Monday afternoons at 5:15pm while daylight saving is active.
Michael Dwyer ) more or less runs it,
and anally records everyone's times :-)

Old December 14th 05, 12:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:26:36 GMT, Andrew Price wrote:

... and if you are in Adelaide sometime [say for the Tour down Under], ask a
local like Gemma for directions to the relaxing alternative route up Coach
House Rd and Woodhill Drive, where they have to cut grooves the road surface
so the damn cars can get up it

I ride with someone who lives on Ridgeland Ave, another rather steep
alternate route up there. I did that one with the beer (six-pack) handicap
recently :-)

regards, Andrew (who confesses to occasionally using a triple)

Shame!

Although sometimes I have to confess to having a 25 on the back.

Old December 14th 05, 12:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:51:04 +1030, Gemma_k wrote:

Don't worry Michael, I won't make a habit of it :-)

From what I heard, it would do you good :-)

Old December 14th 05, 12:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Andrew Price" wrote in message

Gemma_k wrote -

Norton Summit is the most popular climb in Adelaide.

... and if you are in Adelaide sometime [say for the Tour down Under], ask
a local like Gemma for directions to the relaxing alternative route up
Coach House Rd and Woodhill Drive, where they have to cut grooves the road
surface so the damn cars can get up it

Not a particularily long ride, but I can't remember a steeper road climb
in Australia - Dead Horse Gap on the Khancoban side of Thredbo and Bullli
Pass out of Wollongong have their moments but Adelaide's entry IMHO wins
the knee destruction contest.

Have done Dead Horse Gap and it certainly is steep, and looong! But for pure
gradient on tarmac, there are some pinches that have been steeper. The
Castleburn climb on the Dargo Rd heading south (in Gippsland) is one, and
for a short but extreme pinch, Terrys Ave in Belgrave. The descent on this
road has you looking down on the roofs of the Belgrave shops as you approach
the roadabout at the bottom, all the while fully on the brakes!

regards, Andrew (who confesses to occasionally using a triple)

Yes they certainly come in handy. Several kilometres of standing up in
bottom granny gear on Dead Horse Gap proved the usefullness of the triple.
With my new crankset the bottom gear is now 18". Yay for low gears.

Cheers
Peter

Damn it's good to have some agressive racing at the Tour Bill C Racing 5 July 10th 05 01:53 AM
Damn. Missed the day. Not Responding UK 0 March 19th 05 08:02 PM
"Does anybody think about just obeying the damn law?" Mr_Kingkillaha Mountain Biking 0 March 17th 05 11:09 PM
Damn Heras. Callistus Valerius Racing 6 September 17th 04 10:41 PM
Damn pedals... Jon Bond Mountain Biking 2 August 6th 03 07:02 PM