It's like a new bike, but cheaper

Old March 24th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default It's like a new bike, but cheaper

Those of you who saw me at the York Rally last year may remember
that my rear mudguard was snapped in two and flapping about.

Well, I've finally mended it. And a few other bits

New types (37mm Schwable Marathon Plus)
New SKS 'guards
New chain
New tight ratio 12-23 8 speed cassette
New chainset (very cheap Alivo)
New front mech
New flat pedals so my feet don't slip off in the wet

And I've also finally fitted the replacement light sensor
for my Shimano Dynohub that I was kindly given.

It's like having a new bike! Everything is clean, all the
gears work and everything. No longer do I have to remember
to only change the front changer when in gears 3 or 4 at
the back (or else the chain would fall off). No annoying clunk
of chain on bent front mech every revolution when in the big
ring. Tyres with grip! Yea!

The bike is now one of the few with an Alivo chainset and
an XT rear mech though I suspect

--
Arthur Clune
Old March 24th 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Arthur Clune wrote:
The bike is now one of the few with an Alivo chainset and
an XT rear mech though I suspect

I have a cheaper chainset[1] and an XT rear mech on the commuter..

...d

[1] Cheap riveted 162.5mm crank length triple. About 25 GBP from SJS.
It used to have an Alivio (inner ring folded in half), then an STX
(good), then I went for th eshorter cranks.

Old March 24th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Arthur Clune wrote:
Those of you who saw me at the York Rally last year may remember
that my rear mudguard was snapped in two and flapping about.

Well, I've finally mended it. And a few other bits

New tyres (37mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus)

I've had these on my winter bomb-proof hybrid for a couple of years,
which is wheeled out on days when I *do not* want a puncture. Great
peace of mind!

Simon Mason

Old March 24th 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Arthur Clune wrote:
Those of you who saw me at the York Rally last year may remember
that my rear mudguard was snapped in two and flapping about.

Well, I've finally mended it. And a few other bits

New tyres (37mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus)

I've had these on my winter bomb-proof hybrid for a couple of years,
which is wheeled out on days when I *do not* want a puncture. Great
peace of mind!

Simon Mason

Bike Weight redux Doug Taylor Techniques 100 March 25th 06 10:29 PM
Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 09:04 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM