3ttt new crank process

Old November 22nd 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default 3ttt new crank process

https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/21/fac...in-italy-more/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 30th 19, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

I notice they have specified a perverse hole pattern. No one's interest is served that way. Not even the manufacturer's, because smart and experienced cyclists will avoid it.
Old November 30th 19, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/29/2019 11:44 PM, Chalo wrote:
I notice they have specified a perverse hole pattern. No one's interest is served that way. Not even the manufacturer's, because smart and experienced cyclists will avoid it.

It's the way of the world now, when a 22 year old with a
CadCam software can displace an experienced engineer. Hell,
we just changed a worn 53t 2009 Campagnolo chainring on a
Record carbon crank which entailed _both_ chainrings _and_
the bolt set for the 2011 style which are available, the
2009 being incompatible and unavailable. And Campagnolo is
not the worst of it.

Old December 1st 19, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 08:03:46 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/29/2019 11:44 PM, Chalo wrote:
I notice they have specified a perverse hole pattern. No one's
interest is served that way. Not even the manufacturer's, because
smart and experienced cyclists will avoid it.

It's the way of the world now, when a 22 year old with a CadCam software
can displace an experienced engineer. Hell,
we just changed a worn 53t 2009 Campagnolo chainring on a Record carbon
crank which entailed _both_ chainrings _and_ the bolt set for the 2011
style which are available, the 2009 being incompatible and unavailable.
And Campagnolo is not the worst of it.

Thank goodness I have four sets of TA cranks and over a dozen unused
chain rings. Those should see me out.

Old December 6th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 04:07:23 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 08:03:46 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/29/2019 11:44 PM, Chalo wrote:
I notice they have specified a perverse hole pattern. No one's
interest is served that way. Not even the manufacturer's, because
smart and experienced cyclists will avoid it.

It's the way of the world now, when a 22 year old with a CadCam
software can displace an experienced engineer. Hell, we just changed
a worn 53t 2009 Campagnolo chainring on a Record carbon crank which
entailed _both_ chainrings _and_ the bolt set for the 2011 style
which are available, the 2009 being incompatible and unavailable. And
Campagnolo is not the worst of it.

Thank goodness I have four sets of TA cranks and over a dozen unused
chain rings. Those should see me out.

I'm still using my Ritchey Logic 110 mm cranks on almost all my bikes.
Ought to be rings available for those for a long time.

And, LOL, 8sp Shimano cassettes. Seems like the dark ages now, what
with 11sp being de rigeur, except for one bike with a 7sp
freewheel which I guess is the darker ages. But it's a 135 mm OLN and
thus has almost zero dish- same spokes since 1996 with no breakages so
far. Sooner or later...

Not a "disc" brake in sight in my house (except that rim brakes are disc
brakes). One bike with brifters. No CFRP, no AL or Ti frames. All
Brooks saddles of one sort or another. Tan wall tires, polished rims.

I'm not keeping up with the times, I guess. What a Luddite! But hey, I
do have one of those fancy newfangled ISIS BBs on one of my bikes.
Wait, those are 15-20 years old too...
Old December 6th 19, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

I think that there are a couple of Chinese companies making 8 speed cassettes. While they don't shift as smoothly as OEM, they are a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old December 6th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

By the way - I have an 8 speed cassette that still has wear on it. It is in an Ultegra box but it looks like it's a DuraAce. I also have a DuraAce Triple front derailleur, a rear DuraAce derailleur with short arms (probably 9 speed I would imagine it works the same as the 8), and one of those toothed DuraAce bottom brackets used for triples.

If you want them you can get my email from whoever is the moderator here and send me an email. They're yours for the price of shipping. Though these days that's high enough.
Old December 6th 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

When I was a kid and into cars and motorcycles, I thought it was cool to
have exotic stuff, cutting edge stuff, or stuff hardly anybody else had.

But I had to rebuild a Weber carburetor one day. Unlike a standard
Rochester carb, I had to wait for parts to come in.

Then I needed to replace some Fiat piston rings. Same deal - drive 50
miles to the nearest dealer, or wait three or four days. But the engine
was apart, so I couldn't drive there.

My friends who rode 350 Hondas got parts the same afternoon. My Suzuki
had to wait for parts, despite the dealer in town. (Thank God I never
bought that used Bridgestone motorcycle.)

Eventually I decided exotic stuff was often more trouble than it's
worth. I decided not to be an early adopter.

I'm still waiting to see if clipless pedals are going to really catch
on. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 6th 19, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Shimano HG CS-8, besides SRAM, Suntour and SunRace
compatibles, are very available and dirt cheap. It's the
standard thing for $400~$600 new bicycles nowadays. Any LBS
which services not-quite-pro bicycles will have a stack of
them in stock.

Old December 6th 19, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Turn that rear changer over and look at the product number.