Di2 and You

Old December 6th 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Di2 and You

Since I've been changing the Redline back to a pure X-cross bike I needed hydraulic levers to work with the hydraulic disk setup.

I think that someone here published a pointer to the way the rear derailleur worked and I was somewhat curious. I thought that Di2 came out before 11 speeds did. So if that's the case that means that the difference would be in the derailleur and not the levers which only switch one way or the other.
They have small microswitches built into the levers.

In any case the Showan0 levers are prohibitively expensive unless you're working at a good job and I've given up on that since the last couple of people acted as if they would be doing me a favor to hire me.

But I tripped across a hydraulic group from Shimano that unfortunately happens to be Di2. Since it was the same price as just two levers I bought it.

So now I have to install it all. The hydraulics are simple enough but the Di2 connections will have to be learned. And the "modern" Di2 is all internally wires whereas the older bikes had external setups. Also that older unit used a completely different battery. The new version apparently has a permanently installed internal battery since I can't even figure out where they put that kind.

So now I'm wondering if all Di2 are 11 speeds (or 12) or if some were 10 speeds. And if so how do you tell the difference?
Old December 6th 19, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 1:10:36 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

In the past there were 10 speed Di2, maybe even 9 speed DA when they started. A friend of my won some kind of lottery and he was rewarded with a (long 125 km) testride with the first DA Di2 gruppo. I joined him. That was a long time ago.

Lou
Old December 6th 19, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 6:10:36 PM UTC-6, Tom Kunich wrote:

So now I'm wondering if all Di2 are 11 speeds (or 12) or if some were 10 speeds. And if so how do you tell the difference?

My 2010 Shimano 7970 Dura Ace Di2 10 speed group all came in boxes that say "7970" on the boxes. For the electronic parts. The non electronic parts of the group simply say "7900" on the boxes. Crank, calipers, etc. You tell the difference by looking at the overall shape/design/color of the parts.. There are no markings or labels on the actual components that say "7970".. The current 11 speed Shimano Di2 group is 9150. It looks very different from my 10 speed 7970.
Old December 6th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 4:10:36 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Please, please, please don't make us go through 100 posts just to figure out what you did or what you're asking.

What did you buy? Didn't it say 10sp or 11sp? There should be no guessing here. What are the product numbers?

What came with the group you bought? With a bike that is not built for Di2, you'll have to do a full-on kludge with everything external. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcB38OWY1bE You'll need junction boxes and an external battery with cage mount, multiple e-tubes, etc., etc. You'll need lots of zip ties. Google is your friend. Use it.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 6th 19, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/6/2019 2:02 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

One very nice feature of Shimano product (Hey Valentino!
Listen up!) is that virtually every component is stamped
with a product number.

As Mr Seaton noted, one need not measure (Pitfalls abound.
You wouldn't think so, but yet...). One need not guess. One
need not hold the damned thing up to a page of images on a
web search. Just read the component number and then read
the Shimano documentation, follow directions and it will be
just fine.

Not to say riders don't screw up ("Shimano said 'not
compatible' but since I had one...') just that screwups are
not essential to the process.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 6th 19, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 1:09:45 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks - as for Jays getting upset, I wonder if he realizes how upset I get because I can't remember the actual Craigslist posting? I really hope that this never happens to any of you - even Frank.

And the marking on the rear derailleur is 6870 which I assume to be an 11 speed. That's good because I did order an 11 speed cassette.