The eleven

Old October 12th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Default The eleven

From http://cyclingnews.com/road/2008/oct...08/?id=results

"It happened only when I managed to put my chain on the 11", Gilbert
underlined. "Until 400 meters to go, it was blocked on the 12 and I couldn't
put it on the 11."

Old October 12th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jeff Jones

On Oct 12, 7:58*pm, "Robert Chung"
wrote:
Fromhttp://cyclingnews.com/road/2008/oct08/paristours08/?id=results

"It happened only when I managed to put my chain on the 11", Gilbert
underlined. "Until 400 meters to go, it was blocked on the 12 and I couldn't
put it on the 11."

Even I have the mechanical nous to make sure I can get the 11 cog. And
I am rubbish as a mechanic. It's not that hard, really.
Old October 12th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Jeff Jones wrote:
Even I have the mechanical nous to make sure I can get the 11 cog. And I
am rubbish as a mechanic. It's not that hard, really.

Maybe they had a Shimano electronic system with SchwartzSoft software.
I seem to recall someone in this years TDF electronic system getting
stuck on the big ring at the start of a climb (I think it was a German
rider).

Old October 13th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ken Prager

In article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

From http://cyclingnews.com/road/2008/oct...08/?id=results

"It happened only when I managed to put my chain on the 11", Gilbert
underlined. "Until 400 meters to go, it was blocked on the 12 and I couldn't
put it on the 11."

12 is the new 10.

KP
Old October 13th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Ken Prager" wrote in message
est...
In article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

From http://cyclingnews.com/road/2008/oct...08/?id=results

"It happened only when I managed to put my chain on the 11", Gilbert
underlined. "Until 400 meters to go, it was blocked on the 12 and I
couldn't
put it on the 11."

12 is the new 10.

KP

People get pretty psyched out over their gearing; I can't imagine a
racer being any different than anybody else that way. You have a certain
way you spin up during a sprint, and recalibrating mentally is probably
what makes the difference between an opportunistic sprinter and the guy
who needs the well-tuned leadout train.

53/12 gives a gear ratio of 8.43 or 116.2 inches. 108 rpm at
60kph/37mph. About 120rpm at 42mph.

53/11 gets you 9.20, 126.7 inches, 112rpm at 42mph.

You do what you have to do.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old October 14th 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ken Prager

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

"Ken Prager" wrote in message
est...
In article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

From http://cyclingnews.com/road/2008/oct...08/?id=results

"It happened only when I managed to put my chain on the 11", Gilbert
underlined. "Until 400 meters to go, it was blocked on the 12 and I
couldn't
put it on the 11."

12 is the new 10.

KP

People get pretty psyched out over their gearing; I can't imagine a
racer being any different than anybody else that way. You have a certain
way you spin up during a sprint, and recalibrating mentally is probably
what makes the difference between an opportunistic sprinter and the guy
who needs the well-tuned leadout train.

53/12 gives a gear ratio of 8.43 or 116.2 inches. 108 rpm at
60kph/37mph. About 120rpm at 42mph.

53/11 gets you 9.20, 126.7 inches, 112rpm at 42mph.

You do what you have to do.

You missed my point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaD9v460yI

KP