Anti-Lycra Brigade?

Old December 19th 10, 04:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Anti-Lycra Brigade?

My views on wearing Lycra are pretty much on record and I have always
thought it's just me. After all, most of the cyclists I encounter on the
streets on Sydney seem to be Lycra-clad with the apparently mandatory
sunnies. Yes, there are some suburbs where I come across several
cyclists who are dressed in normal street clothes, eg Kensington and
Redfern in Sydney where the student population is relatively high and we
all know how much disposable income a student has.

There are some cyclists on whom Lycra look real nice as the material
shows off those soft curvaceous ... eeerrr.. I digress.

Anyway, you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I came
across the following article. I am glad I am not as alone as I thought I
was I guess it will be a while before I ride sans helmet, as some
cyclists in the article appear to have done, or before I ride a bicycle
with a wicker basket hanging off the front but to know that Lycra is not
necessarily a pre-requisite for riding a bicycle makes me happy

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wh...ml?from=smh_ft

Must get a move on - a birthday party to attend on the foreshores of
Sydney Harbour around Waverton. Gonna be a late late nite or will that
be early early morning?
Old December 19th 10, 05:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:40:38 +1100
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
My views on wearing Lycra are pretty much on record and I have always
thought it's just me. After all, most of the cyclists I encounter on the
streets on Sydney seem to be Lycra-clad with the apparently mandatory
sunnies. Yes, there are some suburbs where I come across several
cyclists who are dressed in normal street clothes, eg Kensington and
Redfern in Sydney where the student population is relatively high and we
all know how much disposable income a student has.

I tend to wear long woolen tights in the winter, and a pair of cargo
shorts in the summer. In between I have 3/4 lycra for when it's too
hot for the wool and not quite right for the shorts.

That's because I find my usual jeans not that comfortable for cycling
on the 'bent, and I put comfort well above whatever other people might
think.

Non-cyclists think I'm weird for riding a bicycle, cyclists think I'm
weird for riding a 'bent. So won't matter what I'm wearing, they
won't any of them see me as anything but odd.

So I can wear what I feel like. Those who judge by clothing can tut
tut away, who am I to deny them that thrill?

Alas poor upright bike riders who have to worry about things like what
other people think about their clothes. I do feel sorry for them,
really I do!

Zebee
- who wears what she feels like on the Brompton too, because that's
damn near as weird as the 'bent, so comes under the same headings.

Old December 19th 10, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

[...]

Who cares about the fashion police?

- who wears what she feels like on the Brompton too, because that's
damn near as weird as the 'bent, so comes under the same headings.

That's an interesting looking bike, but I can't quite see how you use it as
a shopping trolley. Or am I looking at the wrong part of the website?

Theo

Old December 19th 10, 06:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote

My views on wearing Lycra are pretty much on record and I have always
thought it's just me. After all, most of the cyclists I encounter on the
streets on Sydney seem to be Lycra-clad with the apparently mandatory
sunnies. Yes, there are some suburbs where I come across several cyclists
who are dressed in normal street clothes, eg Kensington and Redfern in
Sydney where the student population is relatively high and we all know how
much disposable income a student has.

There are some cyclists on whom Lycra look real nice as the material shows
off those soft curvaceous ... eeerrr.. I digress.

Have you worn Lycra Geoff? I have no problem with people who wear Lycra, nor
with people who do not. I'm quite happy to cruise the 'hood in shorts and a
loose t-shirt. But when I was riding to work I was riding to get there, not
to look cool or to cruise around. For getting somewhere quickly and
comfortably whilst also getting some exercise on the way, Lycra is the best.
I wouldn't wear it to go shopping though. As for the sunnies, my das has
macular degeneration and, though I don't have a problem now, my optician
tells me to wear sunnies outside any time the sun is in the sky.

I'm surprised you're not telling people how inappropriate it is to travel to
work on a bus wearing a suit.

Anyway, you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I came across
the following article. I am glad I am not as alone as I thought I was I
guess it will be a while before I ride sans helmet, as some cyclists in
the article appear to have done, or before I ride a bicycle with a wicker
basket hanging off the front but to know that Lycra is not necessarily a
pre-requisite for riding a bicycle makes me happy

It never was.

Theo

Old December 19th 10, 07:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:44:56 +0800
Theo Bekkers wrote:

That's an interesting looking bike, but I can't quite see how you use it as
a shopping trolley. Or am I looking at the wrong part of the website?

What I do is fold it all but the handlbars. Then I put my large
front-mounted bag on the bars.

So I have the rear wheel folded under, the front weel folded back, the
seat down, but the bars are now at about waist height. I then roll it
on the wheels on the frame that are now just at the right spot. The
bike is pushed in front of me like a trolley, the bag is where the
groceries go.

http://brompton.co.uk/images/fold/th...sequence_3.jpg
with the seat down, you can just see the little wheels it rolls on
on the floor behind the rear wheel at the base of the seat tube.

or see
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...-90-400-70.jpg
which is a fully folded Brom. The handlebars flip up and are
fastened so the bar riser aligns with the main tube, I then lift with
the bars so the bike rolls on its little roller wheels, done.

Zebee
Old December 19th 10, 07:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:

[...]

Ahh. I didn't see the little roller wheels and couldn't see how the wheels
would even turn. And they don't appear to line up.

Theo

Old December 19th 10, 08:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:33:57 +0800
Theo Bekkers wrote:

http://brompton.co.uk/images/fold/th...sequence_3.jpg
with the seat down, you can just see the little wheels it rolls on
on the floor behind the rear wheel at the base of the seat tube.

Ahh. I didn't see the little roller wheels and couldn't see how the wheels
would even turn. And they don't appear to line up.

The big wheels don't line up no. That's how they get such a tight
fold.

The small wheels are not meant for long journeys, I am getting an
upgraded set as the ones on it now are just meant for moving the thing
a few feet for storage under desks or whatever.

If you get the rack you get 4 wheels which makes for a very good
rolling method but I don't want a rack.

I'm loving the Brom, it's a lot of fun. Still a bloody wedgie, but I
can almost forgive it for that.

Zebee
Old December 19th 10, 10:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:

http://brompton.co.uk/images/fold/th...sequence_3.jpg
with the seat down, you can just see the little wheels it rolls on
on the floor behind the rear wheel at the base of the seat tube.

Ahh. I didn't see the little roller wheels and couldn't see how the
wheels
would even turn. And they don't appear to line up.

The big wheels don't line up no. That's how they get such a tight
fold.

The small wheels are not meant for long journeys, I am getting an
upgraded set as the ones on it now are just meant for moving the thing
a few feet for storage under desks or whatever.

If you get the rack you get 4 wheels which makes for a very good
rolling method but I don't want a rack.

I'm loving the Brom, it's a lot of fun. Still a bloody wedgie, but I
can almost forgive it for that.

When you say it like that it must remind you of the "Old Girl". Brom, Brom.

A Moped in Holland is referred to as a 'Brommer'.

Theo

Old December 20th 10, 02:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 19/12/2010 4:53 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Geoff Lock"glock@home wrote

My views on wearing Lycra are pretty much on record and I have always
thought it's just me. After all, most of the cyclists I encounter on the
streets on Sydney seem to be Lycra-clad with the apparently mandatory
sunnies. Yes, there are some suburbs where I come across several cyclists

Have you worn Lycra Geoff? I have no problem with people who wear Lycra, nor
with people who do not. I'm quite happy to cruise the 'hood in shorts and a
loose t-shirt. But when I was riding to work I was riding to get there, not

Apologies for not responding to this post earlier. Something was nagging
me at the back of my mind and on the way home just now I realised that I
had been a bit rude with my posting or lack of in this case.

Hm, ok, so I wear Lycra? Yes I do - once a year when I receive my
Sydney-Gong Ride bib and top.

I usually purchase a top which is half a size smaller of cos. It fits
more snugly and this of cos helps with my *ahem* aerodynamics. It has
NOTHING to do with the fact that a snugly fitting top does give
excellent definition to my abs, my pecs and my whatever bits (for which
I have no idea what they are called - I know where my abs are but only
have a vague idea that pecs are somewhere above my waistline ))

I wouldn't wear it to go shopping though. As for the sunnies, my das has
macular degeneration and, though I don't have a problem now, my optician
tells me to wear sunnies outside any time the sun is in the sky.

Hey, you have a medical reason for wearing sunnies, ok? I am just
jealous becos I have NEVER worn sunnies in my life! It'd cost a fortune
to make sunnies for my eye prescription, you see - I am pretty hopeless
in the seeing dept

I'm surprised you're not telling people how inappropriate it is to travel to
work on a bus wearing a suit.

Eeerr, gimme some clues where to start and I'll give it a go, OK? Just
keep it on topic Right now it is too hard for me to try to connect
bicycles, Lycra, buses, people in buses and suits into anything coherent
or remotely funny

basket hanging off the front but to know that Lycra is not necessarily a
pre-requisite for riding a bicycle makes me happy

It never was.

Surely you jest??!!
Old December 21st 10, 02:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote
[...]

I wouldn't wear it to go shopping though. As for the sunnies, my dad has
macular degeneration and, though I don't have a problem now, my optician
tells me to wear sunnies outside any time the sun is in the sky.

Hey, you have a medical reason for wearing sunnies, ok? I am just jealous
becos I have NEVER worn sunnies in my life! It'd cost a fortune to make
sunnies for my eye prescription, you see - I am pretty hopeless in the
seeing dept

I paid about $350 for my prescription sunnies. My optician tells all his
customers the same thing, maybe she has an ulterior motive?
OTOH, the cancer council gives the same advice.

I'm surprised you're not telling people how inappropriate it is to travel
work on a bus wearing a suit.

Eeerr, gimme some clues where to start and I'll give it a go, OK? Just
keep it on topic Right now it is too hard for me to try to connect
bicycles, Lycra, buses, people in buses and suits into anything coherent
or remotely funny

Try this line. Only pretentious rich people wear suits. Rich people don't
catch buses because it reduces their status among their (other suit-wearing)
co-workers. Rich people shouldn't catch buses because they are reserved for
poor people whose time is not important and it is OK for them to sit, or
stand, in smelly crowded buses for twice as long as it takes the rich people
to get to work. This will get you started but feel free to ad-lib from
there.

I personally haven't worn a suit since 1994, but wore one at work every day
for twenty years. And only a prole would wear an off-the-peg suit, real
pretenders have theirs tailor-made. I always did.

Of course, during much of that period I was riding to work in my Lycra and
donning my suit after my morning shower at work.

Cheers
Theo