Just a fine for cyclist that ran down a solicitor

Old July 4th 12, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Just a fine for cyclist that ran down a solicitor

Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at 26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely a
fine.

However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order since the loss of a career as a solicitor is going to
be very expensive, and the payout will come from every pocket in the land
(in effect)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3464777.ece

Old July 4th 12, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:31:34 AM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at 26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely a
fine.

However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order since the loss of a career as a solicitor is going to
be very expensive, and the payout will come from every pocket in the land
(in effect)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3464777.ece

Mark Cavendish makes a useful suggestion:-

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3451896.ece

"The fastest man on two wheels says that if drivers knew that they would face harsh penalties if they knocked down a cyclist they would pay more attention and safety would improve."

The same should apply in cyclist/pedestrian collisions. It would concentrate the mind. It should not be necessary, but there you are.

Apparently, in 2009 in the Brussels Region:- "A driver or cyclist who ignores a red light can get a fine of 150 euro. A pedestrian up to 50 euro."

Old July 4th 12, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Jul 4, 8:31*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at 26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely a
fine.

Clearly this incident justifies your and others' hate towards ALL
cyclists, doesn't it?

This particular cyclist was an idiot, and has been justly punished.
Move on.

However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order

Fridge freezer insurance???????????????
Old July 4th 12, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"M Wicks" wrote in message
On Jul 4, 8:31 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at
26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely
fine.

Clearly this incident justifies your and others' hate towards ALL
cyclists, doesn't it?

This particular cyclist was an idiot, and has been justly punished.
Move on.

However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order

Fridge freezer insurance???????????????

Believe it or not, some mad cyclists claim that household insurance covers
them against any third part claims.

If you had read this group for long enough, you would have known that.

Old July 4th 12, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Jul 4, 3:40*pm, "John Benn" wrote:
"M Wicks" wrote in message

On Jul 4, 8:31 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at
26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely
fine.

Clearly this incident justifies your and others' hate towards ALL
cyclists, doesn't it?

This particular cyclist was an idiot, and has been justly punished.
Move on.

However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order

Fridge freezer insurance???????????????

Believe it or not, some mad cyclists claim that household insurance covers
them against any third part claims.

Do you have any evidence that it doesn't?

If you had read this group for long enough, you would have known that.

I'm so very sorry. Shoot me now. Perhaps I have been reading this
group and just didn't pick up on that one point. There are an awful
lot of heated 'themes' around here as you've doubtless noticed. Many
are either started or perpetuated by you.
Old July 4th 12, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Justin[_3_]

On 4 jul, 09:31, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at 26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely a
fine.

However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order since the loss of a career as a solicitor is going to
be very expensive, and the payout will come from every pocket in the land
(in effect)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3464777.ece

My thoughts are with the lawyer and his family.

Old July 4th 12, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

"M Wicks" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps you're just a thick ****?

University

Old July 4th 12, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 08:31:34 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at 26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely a
fine.

However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order since the loss of a career as a solicitor is going to
be very expensive, and the payout will come from every pocket in the land
(in effect)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3464777.ece

£1795 for causing injury after shooting a red light is a considerably
greater price than Robert Harris had to pay after he chose to drive
with three bald tyres and killed four cyclists by skidding into them.
He had to pay £180, £45 per life he took.
Old July 4th 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/07/2012 20:54, Bertie Wooster wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

Despite causing brain damage to the pedestrian that he mowed down at 26mph
the cyclist does not even get a ban from the road or prison time, merely a
fine.
However, civil proceedings are to follow, so I hope his fridge freezer
insurance is in order since the loss of a career as a solicitor is going to
be very expensive, and the payout will come from every pocket in the land
(in effect)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3464777.ece

£1795 for causing injury after shooting a red light is a considerably
greater price than Robert Harris had to pay after he chose to drive
with three bald tyres and killed four cyclists by skidding into them.
He had to pay £180, £45 per life he took.

The wife of the injured (disabled) victim of that red-light-ignoring criminal
cyclist makes a point which will surely resonate with the majority of the public:

“I want the whole world to know that cyclists have a duty of care to behave
like human beings,” she said. “It’s about time people stopped worrying about
cyclists being killed by lorries if they do not conduct themselves in the
right manner. He nearly killed my husband.”

I dare say that the victim will be very well represented in court. Let's all
of us hope he (and his counsel) take his assailant to the cleaners.