Plz Help

Old August 10th 05, 06:41 PM
ben

Default Plz Help

Hi all hope you can help me with a small problem im having.
I have a sarecen mtb that im trying to upgrade, as i have been given some
parts from my brothers old bike.
I am wanting to know what chainset i need to match an 8 speed cassete as my
old wheel has only 7. The chainset at the moment is a sr suntour with
shamano cassete. My new rear wheel has a 8 speed cassete on and i have been
given new 8 speed shifters and rear mech. Have been told i might have to
change the chainset at a local bike shop but not sure if they just want my
hard earned cash. Any help would be greatfully recived, and thanks for your
time.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old August 10th 05, 09:47 PM
Pete Biggs

ben wrote:
Hi all hope you can help me with a small problem im having.
I have a sarecen mtb that im trying to upgrade, as i have been given
some parts from my brothers old bike.
I am wanting to know what chainset i need to match an 8 speed cassete
as my old wheel has only 7. The chainset at the moment is a sr
suntour with shamano cassete. My new rear wheel has a 8 speed cassete
on and i have been given new 8 speed shifters and rear mech. Have
been told i might have to change the chainset at a local bike shop
but not sure if they just want my hard earned cash. Any help would be
greatfully recived, and thanks for your time.

7 and 8-speed chains are virtually the same, sometimes exactly the same,
so you could carry on with the existing chainset if you like. The
chainrings don't know how many cogs are at the back ;-)

~PB

Old August 11th 05, 11:04 AM
ben

I have tried the new wheel on the current chainset and it keeps missing some of the cogs=
on the cassete as the gaps on them are much closer than on the 7speed cassete. Can i get h=
old of a thiner chain and if so will i then have to get a new crank? I am currently watchin=
g a deore lx hollow tech on ebay at =C2=A310.49, it is from an 8speed setup and would hav=
e to get a new bb. How do i find out the size and type i would need for this setup. My god i re=
member when this was all so easy, you went out, brought a bike and rode it. Bring back my=
old tuff trax, i never had any problems then.

Old August 11th 05, 11:54 AM
Bryan

ben Wrote:
I have tried the new wheel on the current chainset and it keeps missin
some of the cogs=
on the cassete as the gaps on them are much closer than on the 7spee
cassete. Can i get h=
old of a thiner chain and if so will i then have to get a new crank?
am currently watchin=
g a deore lx hollow tech on ebay at =C2=A310.49, it is from an 8spee
setup and would hav=
e to get a new bb. How do i find out the size and type i would need fo
this setup. My god i re=
member when this was all so easy, you went out, brought a bike and rod
it. Bring back my=
old tuff trax, i never had any problems then.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

If the cassette is an 8 speed then you don't need a new chain (it migh
be advisable to get one if it is a new cassette). As Pete said 7 and
spped are perfetcly compatible, what you'll need to do it adjust th
cable tensioner on the read deraileur. A half turn or so should do i
for you.

As for the chainset, if it is octalink, you'll definitley need a ne
BB, if not, then personally I'd try it with the old BB, and then i
it's too close/far away, I'd get a BB accordingly, it should be fairl
easy to tell what size you actually need if you know the size of th
old BB. 113mm bb's are typical, but there are no standards :-)

Brya

--
Bryan

Old August 11th 05, 01:00 PM
Pete Biggs

ben wrote:
I have tried the new wheel on the current chainset and it keeps
missing some of the cogs on the cassete as the gaps on them are much
closer than on the 7speed cassete.

Is this with a new chain?

1. An old chain will skip on a new cassette if it's much worn. Stiff
chain links cause similar symptoms, though.

2. Problems selecting gears and chain staying in gear can be caused by
improper cable tension or shifter/derailleur/cassette mismatch.

A chain that's a little too wide would still work but will be noisy as it
rubs adjacent cassette sprockets.

Can i get hold of a thiner chain

If needed but I'm not sure it is. But get an "8 speed" chain if you need
a new chain anyway, eg. SRAM PC58.

and if so will i then have to get a new crank?

No.

~PB