Forthcoming LEJOG

Old July 30th 04, 06:08 PM
vernon levy

Default Forthcoming LEJOG

I'm having a crack at it from around 11th August. I've played around with a
Blog site, there's nothing there yet apart from a test message or two but
entries will be made in a few days time onwards.

The Blog can be found at www20six.co.uk/vernon

I'll be depositing info via a mobile phoen so entries will be brief.

TTFN

Vernon

Old July 31st 04, 02:44 PM
Simon Mason

"vernon levy" wrote in message
I'm having a crack at it from around 11th August. I've played around with

Blog site, there's nothing there yet apart from a test message or two but
entries will be made in a few days time onwards.

Good luck!
--
Simon M.

Old August 1st 04, 07:08 AM
jacob

"Simon Mason" wrote in message ...
"vernon levy" wrote in message
I'm having a crack at it from around 11th August. I've played around with

Blog site, there's nothing there yet apart from a test message or two but
entries will be made in a few days time onwards.

Good luck!
--
Simon M.

I just did it (May - June) 14 days + one day off. If you need any info
please ask. I found 75 miles per day with full camping gear a bit
heavy going. 60 would have been comfortable - 50 leisurely - would
allow sight seeing and other diversions.

cheers

Jacob
Old August 1st 04, 11:06 AM
Tumbleweed

"jacob" wrote in message
om...
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

"vernon levy" wrote in message
I'm having a crack at it from around 11th August. I've played around

with
Blog site, there's nothing there yet apart from a test message or two

but
entries will be made in a few days time onwards.

Good luck!
--
Simon M.

I just did it (May - June) 14 days + one day off. If you need any info
please ask. I found 75 miles per day with full camping gear a bit
heavy going. 60 would have been comfortable - 50 leisurely - would
allow sight seeing and other diversions.

cheers

Jacob

Well done, any chance of getting hold of your route? And how much of a
hassle was it with camping? I am planning doing it next year but B&B to
avoid having to carry too much stuff. Also looking at spending maybe 17 or
18 days or it might be too much of a grind. (anyone else interested in
accompanying me? I'll be going in June, and doing it 'JOGLE' direction.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old August 1st 04, 12:56 PM
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Tumbleweed wrote:

...... (anyone else
interested in accompanying me? I'll be going in June, and doing it
'JOGLE' direction.

Perhaps, I really ought to do this before June 12 2005

Old August 1st 04, 04:51 PM
iarocu

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message ...
"jacob" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My LEJOG a couple of years ago was 13 cycling days and 1 rest day. I
was staying in hostels. I Averaged 80-85 miles a day although varying
from 50 to 105.
If doing it again I would spread it over 3 weeks with another 1 or
2 rest days and more time for stops.
Iain
Old August 1st 04, 05:22 PM
jacob

I just did it (May - June) 14 days + one day off. If you need any info
please ask. I found 75 miles per day with full camping gear a bit
heavy going. 60 would have been comfortable - 50 leisurely - would
allow sight seeing and other diversions.

cheers

Jacob

Well done, any chance of getting hold of your route? And how much of a
hassle was it with camping? I am planning doing it next year but B&B to
avoid having to carry too much stuff. Also looking at spending maybe 17 or
18 days or it might be too much of a grind. (anyone else interested in
accompanying me? I'll be going in June, and doing it 'JOGLE' direction.

I will dig out the diary and compile the route: it was a cut & paste
from several CTC routes and included an island diversion - Ardrossan -
Aran -Kintyre peninsula - Oban - Mallaig, - Skye etc. Camping not a
prob except it can be a bit tedious at the end of a hard day esp with
midges, and you have to carry the gear of course. 17 days with b&b
would be very pleasant I think.

cheers

Jacob
Old August 1st 04, 06:41 PM
jacob

This my route typed in haste. Might do it properly as a web page.
LE.
Penzance - cycle track from bus station to Marazion.
Minor roads to Redruth, Truro.
A390 - St Austell, Liskeard, (good cafe in Callington), Tavistock.
Across Dartmoor to Moretonhampstead (don't be put off by arrows on map
- only short sharp hills and long descent).
Through Exeter.
Minor roads to Cullompton
A38, Wellington (good cafe "The Europa"), Bridgewater, minor roads to
Cheddar, over Mendips to Shipham.
A38 briefly then minor roads to Clevedon, Easton in Gordano,
cycletrack (hard to find) across Avon bridge.
Avonmouth A403 to Severn bridge, Chepstow, Monmouth, Hereford,
Leintwardine.
Minor roads to Bishops Castle.
Shrewsbury. Wem. Whitchurch.
A49 to Wigan (minor roads possible but best to get it over with) to A6
at Preston
A6 to Carlisle or what I did was diversion to Windermere, Kirkstone
Pass Ullswater, Penrith.
Carlisle to Longtown (avoiding A74), Gretna Green.
Minor roads to Dumfries
A76 to Kilmarnock
Minor roads to Ardrossan
Ferry to Aran
Lochranza ferry to Claonaig.
Oban.
Corran Ferry to Ardgour (avoiding Fort William)
Mallaig. Ferry to Armadale. Kyle of Lochalsh. Duirnish (or Plockton)
Strathcarron, Dingwall.
A9 briefly then Evanton ,minor road to Kincardine, Bonar Bridge.
Lairg, Altnaharra, Strath Naver to Bettyhill (Tongue road hilly I am
told)
Main road to JOG.
1706km on clock.
Longest day last one; Lairg to JOG 156km
Average 122km day

cheers

Jacob
Old August 1st 04, 09:05 PM
JohnB

jacob wrote:

This my route typed in haste. Might do it properly as a web page.
LE.

snip route details

1706km on clock.

We covered much the same as you, with a slight variation in Scotland.
http://www.jpbdesign.net/EndtoEnd.html

John B

LEJOG and pannier size Mark Thompson UK 12 May 19th 04 11:51 AM
LEJOG MSeries UK 6 April 20th 04 10:31 PM
Curse of LeJOG MSeries UK 18 March 19th 04 08:41 PM
Preparing a youth for LEJOG vernon.levy UK 41 January 19th 04 12:31 AM