Cyclist on Hill:0, Wall:1

Old April 27th 19, 02:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Cyclist on Hill:0, Wall:1

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 00:47:53 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

On 26/04/2019 15:05, Rob Morley wrote:

Usually just bracing your knees against the top tube tends to dampen
speed wobble, braking can make it worse.

Not necessarily. Do anything that takes energy out of the system.

Not anything, because one of the ways to take energy out of the system
is to pile into a hedge. OTOH just changing the resonant frequency of
interacting parts of the system, by shifting your riding position, may
be sufficient to regain control.

I once got into a massive tank
slapper when I hit an iron cover in a fast curve, but I managed to
avoid the oncoming petrol tanker. Could have been a very different
outcome.

Well, that's my original point.

Sorry, what?

Old April 27th 19, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

TMS320 wrote:

On 26/04/2019 15:05, Rob Morley wrote:

Usually just bracing your knees against the top tube tends to dampen
speed wobble, braking can make it worse.

Not necessarily. Do anything that takes energy out of the system.

Not anything, because one of the ways to take energy out of the system
is to pile into a hedge. OTOH just changing the resonant frequency of
interacting parts of the system, by shifting your riding position, may
be sufficient to regain control.

I once got into a massive tank
slapper when I hit an iron cover in a fast curve, but I managed to
avoid the oncoming petrol tanker. Could have been a very different
outcome.

Well, that's my original point.

Sorry, what?

Shimmies are not pleasant experiences
Old April 27th 19, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

TMS320 wrote:
On 26/04/2019 15:05, Rob Morley wrote:

Usually just bracing your knees against the top tube tends to dampen
speed wobble, braking can make it worse.

Not necessarily. Do anything that takes energy out of the system.

Not anything, because one of the ways to take energy out of the system
is to pile into a hedge.Â* OTOH just changing the resonant frequency of
interacting parts of the system, by shifting your riding position, may
be sufficient to regain control.

I once got into a massive tank
slapper when I hit an iron cover in a fast curve, but I managed to
avoid the oncoming petrol tanker.Â* Could have been a very different
outcome.

Well, that's my original point.

Sorry, what?

Shimmies are not pleasant experiences

You should be more careful with your snipping. You woke Noddy up.
Old April 27th 19, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

TMS320 wrote:
On 26/04/2019 15:05, Rob Morley wrote:

Usually just bracing your knees against the top tube tends to dampen
speed wobble, braking can make it worse.

Not necessarily. Do anything that takes energy out of the system.

Not anything, because one of the ways to take energy out of the system
is to pile into a hedge. OTOH just changing the resonant frequency of
interacting parts of the system, by shifting your riding position, may
be sufficient to regain control.

Difficult to do anything about resonant frequency. If it was possible,
the oscillation with a torsionally flexible 531 frame would have to be
different to an early Cannondale with its 2 inch diameter downtube.

If I had only ever experienced shimmy on the 531 frame a hypothesis
about rider mass and spring constants would appear to be plausible. But
having experienced shimmy on the Cannondale, it breaks down.

Gripping the tube with the knees certainly helps. Maybe it helps the
balance mechanism - I have noticed that correction is partly down to
learning to anticipate the motion and gradually adjusting motor control
of the arms. Braking is a damper (as is anything that converts energy to
heat) but it is also guaranteed to reduce kinetic energy before running
out of road.

Fortunately it does not happen enough to allow a thorough technical
analysis.