Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old April 19th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Thumper

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey, we get screamed at, doored at, spitted upon, pushed around and
even killed, isn't it time we enjoy the same benefits as other
Americans? When is a cyclist going into a rage and mow down all those
careless SUV drivers who make us feel worthless?

Definitely, all motorcycle riders should carry sidearms (not bicyclists
though, they're all fruitcakes). Unfortunately, if we use them we'll go to
jail.

Thumper

Old April 19th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

On Apr 19, 12:44 pm, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:
On 19 Apr 2007 08:34:20 -0700, donquijote1954

wrote:
I guess we cyclists are too pacific for that (or just that we aren't
Republicans), but in light of all that violence out there, shouldn't
we rethink our strategy (everyone to himself) and get together to
launch a good nonviolent campaign?

I don't expect 'normal' from you, but don't you find this just a
little bit tasteless considering what just happened on the Virginia
Tech campus?

And using 'Republicans' must be your way to compensate for not being
able to actually make a complete, cogent thought on your own. I'm sure
there are some reflexive 'thinkers' such as yourself that will think
you made some point or another.

You don't think they would agree with gun control? Perhaps THIS is the
best homage we can pay them.

Old April 19th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

On Apr 19, 12:29 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Just A User wrote:
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:51:02 -0400, Just A User
wrote:

Upon mentioning VA Tech, I have to put in my two cents, Cho was a
wack job, but personally I think the right to bear arm part of the
constitution needs to be re thought. In countries, such as the U.K.
where gun control laws are very strict, they don't have incidents
like those at the campus on Monday.

Well, actually they do, but not in the quantity that the U.S. has,
and they seem to be somewhat less successful, even if the intent was
there. There have been incidents in Germany and Scotland and several
in Canada.

Starting this thread - often initiated by those who like to tell
everyone what they will do to this driver or another - is pretty much
stupid. Doing it today is what makes it tasteless to boot.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

I agree it's pretty tasteless, as I pointed out, until all guns are
banned and destroyed, these types of events will happen, but until
that time comes, control is the key.

Heaven knows the criminals will abide by laws and regulations. (Or, just
use gasoline and fertilizer.)-

You got a point there, but you can make it so much harder. When they
are intent on it, not even the American Constitution can stop them.

Old April 19th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

On Apr 19, 1:55 pm, Olebiker wrote:
On Apr 19, 12:52 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:

1) They do.
2) Crime is up, as citizens cannot defend themselves. The criminals if
they don't have guns just use other weapons.
3) The UK government is becoming more controling. Recent legislative
activity in the UK includes having government employees busting into
people's homes to take items equal in value to any fines (such as parking
tickets) owed to the government.

I rather appreciate a comment often attributed to Benjamin Franklin:
"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves
neither liberty nor security"

I guess we should disband HOMELAND SECURITY then.

Old April 19th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

On Apr 19, 12:31 pm, Dane Buson wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc asshat1954 wrote:
snipped for excessive wangst

I'm touch surprised that it took you this long to crawl out from under
your bridge.

Many people will use this terrible tragedy as an excuse to put through a
political agenda other than my own. This tawdry abuse of human suffering
for political gain sickens me to the core of my being. Those people who
have different political views from me ought to be ashamed of themselves
for thinking of cheap partisan point-scoring at a time like this. In any
case, what this tragedy really shows us is that, so far from putting
into practice political views other than my own, it is precisely my
political agenda which ought to be advanced.

It sounds like the political agenda advanced after 9/11. Did we need
9/11 to invade Iraq? I think we did.

Old April 19th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Just A User wrote:
Okay so that is one, but they are a lot less common than here in the U.S.

Here in the gun happy U.S. we have at least a couple of mass shootings
per year.

A lie, of course.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old April 19th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

On Apr 19, 2:59 pm, "Thumper" wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

ups.com... Hey, we get screamed at, doored at, spitted upon, pushed around and
even killed, isn't it time we enjoy the same benefits as other
Americans? When is a cyclist going into a rage and mow down all those
careless SUV drivers who make us feel worthless?

Definitely, all motorcycle riders should carry sidearms (not bicyclists
though, they're all fruitcakes). Unfortunately, if we use them we'll go to
jail.

You should consider a motorcycle that explodes upon impact, or at
least a bumper sticker that declares so...

"You don't want your bicycle/motorcycle* ride to be spoiled by
careless drivers who intimidate you. Well, it's time you make them
feel you are about to explode..."

*it may also be used by small imported cars.

http://www.zazzle.com/product/128182721431690818

Old April 19th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

wrote:

I rather appreciate a comment often attributed to Benjamin Franklin:
"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves
neither liberty nor security"

I guess we should disband HOMELAND SECURITY then.

Sounds good to me.

Yet one less bureaucracy...

Old April 19th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
donquijote1954

Default California Republicans are OK

--I ride my bike in LA (not a bike friendly place) where SUV's rule
every road and street, and it doesn't make me feel worthless. If
anything, I feel empowered.
Republicans don't 'cycle you think? Perhaps if you talked to people
instead of typing to them, you might find that Republicans are not the
crazed individuals as you would like everyone to believe.--

California Republicans seem to be OK. I guess it has to do with having
a common sense governor...

For example, this "rigth wing," "conservative" Republican is doing
pretty good...

Schwarzenegger surprises

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger today will fulfill yet another
campaign promise when he signs a bill to reform the state's costly
workers compensation program.
The signing will mark the fourth major victory for the former action-
movie star since he became governor barely five months ago.
Mr. Schwarzenegger's accomplishments, which have defied the political
odds from the beginning, are winning the Republican governor praise
from Democrats and once-skeptical fellow Republicans.
"He's doing better than I expected," said Gail Kaufman, a leading
Democratic strategist in the state.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3752-6563r.htm

Should Cyclists Pack Guns? donquijote1954 General 465 May 7th 07 03:25 PM
Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 02:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 11th 04 12:56 AM