Why are they allowed to block Cycle Route 1 and the Thames Path?

Old January 7th 12, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Why are they allowed to block Cycle Route 1 and the Thames Path?

This has been going on for years now, various luxury-flat developers
and others have been blocking the path in the vicinity of the London
Dome and it seems to be getting worse with yet another blockage
actually by the Dome itself.

Is the path owned by various landowners or does it belong to the
general public? What is the point in having a National path that is
frequently blocked? If they did the same to the same extent to
motorists on roads there would be an uproar.

On the Sustrans website the route around the dome is shown as a dotted
alternative with no explanation but the TfL maps (2004) show it as a
solid line.

Doug.

Old January 7th 12, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"Doug" wrote in message
This has been going on for years now, various luxury-flat developers
and others have been blocking the path in the vicinity of the London
Dome and it seems to be getting worse with yet another blockage
actually by the Dome itself.

Is the path owned by various landowners or does it belong to the
general public? What is the point in having a National path that is
frequently blocked? If they did the same to the same extent to
motorists on roads there would be an uproar.

On the Sustrans website the route around the dome is shown as a dotted
alternative with no explanation but the TfL maps (2004) show it as a
solid line.

Doug.

My sympathies at your frustration. I also get frustrated because parking is
allowed across cycle lanes blocking them (and more) completely, like you say
what's the point in having a lane then allowing it to be blocked.
Perhaps in your case you should write to Boris and the local council to
complain, apparently we don't complain enough in the UK

Old January 7th 12, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 07/01/2012 08:07, Jolly polly wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Good point.

Abolish cycle lanes and restore sanity on the highway.

You know it makes sense.
Old January 7th 12, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

have a listen to this from radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...nking_Streets/

it seems to support mixed traffic, even pedestrians

Old January 7th 12, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

It's a point of view, though not one I (generally) share.

I suppose it's alright in short residential cul-de-sacs.
Old January 14th 12, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Jolly polly" wrote in message

have a listen to this from radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...nking_Streets/

it seems to support mixed traffic, even pedestrians

Thanks for that, it was most enlightening and entertaining :-)

--
Simon Mason

Old January 7th 12, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 7, 7:24*am, Doug wrote:
This has been going on for years now, various luxury-flat developers
and others have been blocking the path in the vicinity of the London
Dome and it seems to be getting worse with yet another blockage
actually by the Dome itself.

Must be a London thing.
I cycled on NCN Route 1 the other day where it goes across the Humber
Bridge and then passes from the East Riding of Yorkshire into the City
and County of Kingston upon Hull and encountered no hindrances at all.

Write to the Council(s) involved.

--
Simon Mason

Old January 7th 12, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 07/01/2012 07:24, Doug wrote:
This has been going on for years now, various luxury-flat developers
and others have been blocking the path in the vicinity of the London
Dome and it seems to be getting worse with yet another blockage
actually by the Dome itself.

Is the path owned by various landowners or does it belong to the
general public? What is the point in having a National path that is
frequently blocked? If they did the same to the same extent to
motorists on roads there would be an uproar.

But nobody cares about a minority group of ******s.

University
Old January 7th 12, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 09:38:34 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

******s.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old January 28th 12, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

She started walking again way back on Oct 28 and we are still doing two
hour hilly walks three months down the line, so she is super motivated
and cycled to work last October while the car was out of action and
wants to do it again around March time.

How modern is the car?
I ask becausse I had occasion to use our car (new 18 months ago) a week
ago; the first time for 2 months.
No dice. No cigar. Flat battery.
Modern cars appear to have remote locking, anti-theft devices etc, which
require systems to be on standby, thus drawing always a small current
from the battery.
Enough to run the battery flat within 2 months.
I did not have this problem with my previous car (an ancient Triumph
2000, no alarm, totally mechanical locking, not even a clock!); one could
leave this idle or over 3 months and it would start perfectly.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.- Hide quoted text -

It is 3 years old and is used every day, so the battery never goes flat.
On the odd occasion when my previous car's battery went flat, I rigged it up
to a charger and drove it to Halfords to get a brand new one fitted as it
was a sure sign that the old one was on its way out.

--
Simon Mason

Bristol-Bath cycle path could become a bus route. Martin Dann UK 40 January 25th 08 04:56 PM
Thames Path on South Bank - cycling allowed? [email protected] UK 5 June 21st 07 04:34 PM
Thames Cycle Path Closed Tom Crispin UK 37 May 23rd 07 09:48 PM
cycle path/route along A9 ? redmist UK 5 May 9th 06 12:13 PM
HELP- With N Wales Cycle Path Route Please Rick UK 5 January 22nd 06 10:13 PM