Recumbents in NYC?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 30th 09, 02:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Default Recumbents in NYC?

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

The very best places for cyclists to enjoy their rides are in small
towns.
You will be safer there and still be able to do a lot of miles.

I like riding in my hometown medium-sized city, 'cuz
it affords places to go to and, things to do.

Riding here in Vancouver BC is as safe as you make it.

Tell yuh what: I've come to hate riding through the
wilderness for the sole purpose of getting to the
other end, and then heading home again. I already
know what a bunch of trees looks like.

A lot of empty miles is a waste of my time.

I think Tom Keats and I are on the same page here. I prefer to ride my bike
around town too as opposed to riding in the countryside. Almost any town
will present plenty of opportunities to create a ride that is both enjoyable
and interesting. Once I leave town, I have got to be going somewhere or else
it is a waste of time and energy.

Look at this way - folks have spend most of their lives caring for their
houses and properties. Is it not worthwhile to have a closer look at what is
the result of all this time and effort. In fact, I would say slow down so
you can get a better look at it all. Just riding your bike to pile up the
miles is a form of insanity.

Indeed ... places to go and things to see and do! Your hometown!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Well, Mr. Ed,
We are on the same page then. I go out to enjoy the ride, meet people,
and explore side streets I might never even have seen in the car. Many
of my tools are road kill specials that fell out of some red necks'
truck and bounced into the weeds. I hate riding the same roads over and
over and I am not in training for anything more than my own health, so
what if I average 20 MPH and talk to nobody or 10 MPH and stop at every
little hint of a sale, I am enjoying myself and staying fit. I have 39
years left in 'my' Century and want them to be more than saddle sore and
sweaty showers every day.
Trees?
California sucks for trees in the central valley since they were cut
down for all the damned rice farming, so when I find a tree, I take time
to enjoy the shade.
As for Minnesota, I have lived there and vacationed there many times,
and the trees are so nice after the City, why are you complaining??

Bill Baka

Recumbents [email protected] UK 7 January 14th 08 08:33 AM
Recumbents useful? Tom Sherman[_2_] General 12 December 6th 07 06:02 PM
Recumbents, where are they? Duram Recumbent Biking 10 January 31st 07 08:02 PM
Regarding recumbents Another group member UK 8 November 20th 04 10:29 AM