Strange fatigue again...? (long)

Old August 26th 03, 11:55 PM
hippy

Default Strange fatigue again...? (long)

What is the harm in going cold turkey?

No harm; it's just extremely hard to summon the willpower to

completely
cut yourself off from stuff you love to eat. IME, it's easier to

limit
yourself than to stop entirely. Maybe say that if you make it through
the day not eating any sugary stuff, you will reward yourself with

some
after supper.

I don't think I'd ever tried that. I'll give it a shot.

What about like another poster said and only
eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?

If you have the discipline, that's possible too.

ha discipline! I can regularly punish my body on
the bike.. but give up lollies and chocolate?
Are you mad!? :-)

Seriously though I'm reading the stuff John
posted and I'm getting a blood test done
today. I'm giving apples a go instead of
biscuits and will attempt to include more
wholegrain stuff rather than white breads
and white rices - though looking through
some of the GI charts, it's not always that
simple.

ta,
hippy

Old August 28th 03, 06:16 AM
John Staines

I think the secret is to give yourself a treat every now and again.
Perhaps pick a day where you reward yourself, not to extravagantly
though. This will hopefully keep you on the wagon. As others have
mentioned going cold turkey is often not very beneficial in the long run
and the best intentions often fall away due to the size of the goal you
have set yourself.

Another thing is to try and be aware when your diet is slipping back to
the dark side and to correct it. We all have days when we pig out and
then later regret it. Instead of beating yourself up about it, just get
back to eating the way you should be and write your indulgence off as a
bad day. We are only human after all.

Finally, remember to set small achievable goals which will ultimately
lead to your ultimate goal. You'll be surprised how achievable healthy
eating is once you start to change your habits.

Best of luck

John

Of course I'm assuming that the results of your blood test won't all be
doom and gloom.

hippy wrote:

"John Staines" wrote in message
There's a pretty good website for you to check out if your interested.
http://diabetes.about.com/library/me...nmendosagi.htm
Hope you find the above beneficial.

Indeed! Reading this has cleared a few issues up and
raised a couple more. I'm still waiting for the results
of the blood test but regardless I will be altering my
sugar binges. So much for carbs being so good! :P

On another matter.. how do you guys maintain focus
on these sort of nutrition issues?
e.g. in 3 months when all my bad habits have come
back again.. how would I prevent this happening?
I guess, just train myself into the new habits?
I need some big matron-type woman to whack me
every month and question my discipline! :-)

hippy

Old August 28th 03, 06:21 PM
DRS

hippy wrote in message

[...]

On another matter.. how do you guys maintain focus
on these sort of nutrition issues?
e.g. in 3 months when all my bad habits have come
back again.. how would I prevent this happening?
I guess, just train myself into the new habits?

Why would they come back? The problem you described was cravings. Most
people only get cravings when their body is desperately screaming out for
something they've been denying it - like sugars or fats! The irony is that
in our crazy society everything is so low-salt, low-sugar and low-fat you
can end up eating very unhealthily (I once got a right telling off by my
doctor because I'd cut my salt intake so low). You need salts, sugars and
fats. The right way to eat isn't to cut them out altogether, it's to eat
the right amounts of the right types at the right times. If you are eating
properly you won't get cravings. Moreover, as you exercise more, increase
your lean muscle mass and decrease your body fat you can actually eat *more*
because your metabolism becomes more efficient.

I need some big matron-type woman to whack me
every month and question my discipline! :-)

Only if you really want to.

--

A: Top-posters.