"Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

Old August 10th 12, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default "Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

On 10/08/2012 10:12, Pedt wrote:
In message , at 21:59:52 on
Tue, 7 Aug 2012, Phil W Lee sniffed the air and
proclaimed
Pedt "\"@ considered Tue, 7 Aug 2012
01:07:15 +0100 the perfect time to write:

No campaign from you then? I see Tom hasn't responded either as to why
he hasn't been campaigning for pedestrians and bicycles to be banned
from the pavement on this bit of road as it is 'too dangerous'. It
wouldn't be because you are both desperately trying to dig yourself out
of the hole you've gotten into and daren't reply as it wouldn't hold up
to any sort of scrutiny would it?

Why are you so keen to allow bullying motor traffic to drive
vulnerable road users off the public highway?

Why are CM so keen to bully other road users?

Do you shoulder barge your way through supermarket queues in such a
fashion, taking advantage of your physically greater strength over
little old ladies buying teabags, or children buying sweets?

Of course not.

Continuing your analogy with a supermarket queue: I've often been in a
queue with one or two items behind someone with a large amount. Usually
I get asked if I'd like to go ahead and, similarly, when I do have a
large amount myself and a few behind me has a minimal amount I do the
same and suggest they go ahead.

My, and lots of other people's behaviour in a supermarket, is directly
akin to slower traffic not hindering faster traffic.

If you had a full trolley load queuing at a checkout and there was a
little old lady behind you with just a pint of milk, would you suggest
she went in front or would you say sod her, I was here first?

You do get a few with huge trolleys in front of someone with one item
and look at them dismissively with an "I'm so superior to you because of
the amount I'm buying" or "I was here first". You can, in your analogy
of a supermarket queue, make a comparison with the cyclists who think
they are more important.

None of the cyclists around here have a full trolley.....

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old August 10th 12, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 10/08/2012 07:43, Phil W Lee wrote:
Scion considered Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:02:32 +0000
(UTC) the perfect time to write:

Phil W Lee spake thus:

Mondeo-Man-Yes considered Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:30:30
+0100 the perfect time to write:

On 08/08/2012 08:50, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
On 08/08/2012 07:10, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 22:30:19 +0100, Pedt "\"@
wrote:

Is that an expectation you have of cyclists generally: that they
should pull over, get off their bikes and move onto the footway
whenever there are motor vehicles behind wanting to pass?

Entirely unreasonable.

IFTFY

I can understand that expectation for emergency vehicles wanting to
filter past slower moving traffic, but it's absurd to expect cyclists
to be playing a subservient role to motor vehicles.

Not at all. Cyclists are an insignificant minority of road users.
Their choice of a pathetically slow mode of transport shouldn't be
allowed to inconvenience the Road Tax paying majority.

Road tax doesn't exist.
And it may surprise you to know it, but motorists are in a minority.

By what measure? They are certainly not in a minority of road users.

Of the population, which would be almost entirely the same group as
"road users" (the only missing ones would be those who have been
bullied off the roads altogether).

Everybody pays for the roads though (along with the carnage that the
motorists cause on them).

Perhaps cyclists could volunteer to fund additional road capacity, on a
voluntary basis of course, for their exclusive use, with additional
revenue being raised from fines on motorists and pedestrians who dared
to stray on to this hallowed ground. It could be a bit like fining
cyclist pavement users - although this VERY rarely happens,
unfortunately, despite the dangers to the legitimate users of the
pavements.

We tried that with motorways, but the motorised *******s won't stick to
the roads that we created specially for them, and still keep invading
the public highway.

If you're trying to make a point, this kind of daft comment does you no
favours. As you know, (legal) drivers are permitted - and expected - to
use the public highway.

Then when they get it so crammed that none of them can move, they blame
the cyclists.
Dumb, huh?

Do they? I've seen people complain when cyclists _deliberately_ obstruct
the road. But show me where "they" complain that non-obstructing cyclists
cause traffic jams?

Try cycling in a city, and you'll soon encounter such motons.

Why would you encounter small pieces of 14th century armour designed to
protect the armpit?

Old August 10th 12, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
DavidR[_4_]

"Pedt" "\"@ wrote in message

If you had a full trolley load queuing at a checkout and there was a
little old lady behind you with just a pint of milk, would you suggest she
went in front or would you say sod her, I was here first?

She would be better off going to the self checkout than waiting in a trolley
queue.

Old August 10th 12, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Pedt[_2_]

In message , at 16:39:47 on Fri, 10 Aug
2012, DavidR sniffed the air and proclaimed
"Pedt" "\"@ wrote in message

If you had a full trolley load queuing at a checkout and there was a
little old lady behind you with just a pint of milk, would you suggest she
went in front or would you say sod her, I was here first?

She would be better off going to the self checkout than waiting in a trolley
queue.

That depends on whether there is actually one to go to and whether the
said Little Old Lady is comfortable using it.

Self checkouts might well have improved since I last had to use one[1]
but they are still a pain given the automated whinges I hear in the
local ASDA when I pass by them after shopping for mum.

Most of the places that I do my own shopping have no self checkout here.

[1] 3am, roughly a year ago, Tesco, Wrexham. Self Checkout only at that
time. Refused to let me have 10kg bag of Basmati without authorisation.
Once it had been authorised, by someone from Tesco who only came over
after I went to ask what they were going to do, it then whinged that the
item was too heavy so someone had to come over again.

I didn't bother pointing out that I was charged 50p for an offer priced
at a fiver.

--
Pedt
Old August 11th 12, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
thirty-six

"Pedt" "\"@ wrote in message

[...]

A few months bak I was in a daze when in escot and wprked out I had
enough cash to get a bottle of whisky I fancied (for £25) on top of a
handful of general groceries,. I used the regular checkout and
accidentally duped the checkout guy. I counted out the notes calling
their value to £20, I handed him some sorted change of about £8 and
picked up the notes. It's not a place I use normally but the whisky
was a good deal at £5 .
Old August 11th 12, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Janitor of Lunacy[_2_]

"Pedt" "\"@ wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like it's not a place you'll be able to use again in the foreseeable
future.

Old August 11th 12, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
thirty-six

"Pedt" "\"@ wrote in message

[...]

I've been in twice since so it doesn't look like they've bothered to
try to identify why the till was £20 down. Probably sacked the guy.
I hope he sues for unfair dismisal.
Old August 11th 12, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 01:41:47 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Pedt "\"@ considered Fri, 10 Aug 2012
10:12:07 +0100 the perfect time to write:

[...]

That analogy works better the other way around.
Motorists are like the big trolley load people, who think they should
always go first because they are bigger, and spending more.

All of the users are capable of going faster at one time or another,
and while it's perfectly reasonable to allow them to do so when it's
safe, it should never be acceptable for them to do so at risk to
others.

Yes, I thought that. It is far more often that I, as a cyclist, have
my travel impeded by motor vehicle drivers than as a driver I am
impeded by a cyclist.

And when delayed by a cyclist, I find the road ahead nice and clear
when I do pass... until I join the back of the next traffic queue.
Old August 11th 12, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
®i©ardo

On 11/08/2012 01:41, Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]

You obviously don't go in many supermarkets or, as amply demonstrated
previously and frequently, you are talking through your arse.

All of the users are capable of going faster at one time or another,
and while it's perfectly reasonable to allow them to do so when it's
safe, it should never be acceptable for them to do so at risk to
others.

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old August 12th 12, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_10_]

On Aug 8, 9:22*am, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:
On 07/08/2012 21:54, Phil W Lee wrote:

(Cynic) considered Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:26:13 GMT
the perfect time to write:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 22:56:52 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

So, the one caused by the artificial narrowing of the road by the
creation of the zil lane.

Is that like the artificial narrowing of the road by cycle lanes?

No zill lanes are much wider and, unlike cycle lanes, are not ignored
by motorised traffic.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.