Environmentally-friendly used tire disposal

Old March 26th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Environmentally-friendly used tire disposal

Any advice on how to achieve this? I would prefer that they not end up in a
landfill.

Old March 26th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Weather Guy" is justifiably concerned. When you buy auto tires, you are
charged a disposal fee. Where do those tires go? I'm sure they don't just
go to the landfill.

Old March 26th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Weather Guy" is justifiably concerned. When you buy auto tires, you are
charged a disposal fee. Where do those tires go? I'm sure they don't
just go to the landfill.

Shreded and reused. Some go as part of asphalt, some to get other
destinations that use rubber.

Old March 26th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Weather Guy" writes:
Any advice on how to achieve this? I would prefer that they not end up in a
landfill.

If they're not too crackly, send 'em to Zoot Katz to make belts 'n stuff
out of them. Or DIY.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 26th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Regarding car tires, some go to build Earthships.
http://www.earthship.org/build/

Shreded and reused. Some go as part of asphalt, some to get other destinations that use rubber.

Old March 26th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Regarding the bicycle tires, you can contact BikeAgainst! It's a local
bicycle coop, and I know they recycle their rubber, because theres a
bin for it.
http://bikeagainst.blogsport.com
Jim Gagnepain

Any advice on how to achieve this? I would prefer that they not end up in a landfill.

Old March 26th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

oilfreeandhappy wrote:
Sorry, typo in that link. Try again.

Regarding the bicycle tires, you can contact BikeAgainst! It's a local

bicycle coop, and I know they recycle their rubber, because theres a
bin for it.
http://bikeagainst.blogspot.com
Jim Gagnepain

Recycling bike tires is tokenism. Like living "oil free and happy" in
the middle of suburban sprawl.
Old March 26th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Why not take them to an auto tire dealer and ask if you can throw them
in the pile to be recycled? I bet they would say yes.

Old March 26th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Cole wrote:

oilfreeandhappy wrote:
Sorry, typo in that link. Try again.

Regarding the bicycle tires, you can contact BikeAgainst! It's a local

bicycle coop, and I know they recycle their rubber, because theres a
bin for it.
http://bikeagainst.blogspot.com
Jim Gagnepain

Recycling bike tires is tokenism. Like living "oil free and happy" in
the middle of suburban sprawl.

Too true; but it's all about the warm and fuzzies, don't you know...

I just make it a point to NOT LEAVE THEM ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old March 26th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"TomP" wrote in message

Peter Cole wrote:

oilfreeandhappy wrote:
Sorry, typo in that link. Try again.

Regarding the bicycle tires, you can contact BikeAgainst! It's a local

bicycle coop, and I know they recycle their rubber, because theres a
bin for it.
http://bikeagainst.blogspot.com
Jim Gagnepain

Recycling bike tires is tokenism. Like living "oil free and happy" in
the middle of suburban sprawl.

Too true; but it's all about the warm and fuzzies, don't you know...

Let's operationally define "tokenism" as "The policy of making only a
perfunctory effort or symbolic gesture toward the accomplishment of a goal,
such as racial integration. " (from
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tokenism )

Recycling bike tires might likely fit into that spot, as Peter notes. One
can imagine, for example, mailing these tires to Ft. Collins, Colorado
(where BikeAgainst is), which would use up considerably more energy than
would make any sense. It would be counterproductive tokenism. Shipping them
to Zoot Katz would seem similarly silly, unless Zoot's paying for the
postage.

Still, if it's easy enough, why not recycle? Another poster (Denver Fox?)
suggested seeing if a local tire store would include them. That would be
easy enough for me to do, since I pass by one regularly as I bike. This
depends on the economics for the tire store. If they are paying to dispose
of these, they will want to charge me a disposal fee. On the other hand, if
they are paid for their tire waste, they'd probably to happy to take it in.

When I last purchased car tires in 2002, I was charged a $2 tire disposal
fee and a $1 state (of Illinois) environmental fee. This suggests they would
want to be paid to dispose of the tires, which would be silly for something
like a bicycle tire. I don't have any old bike tires hanging around, so I
can't try this myself at the moment. If anybody else tries this, let me know
how this works.