Halfords

Old June 6th 15, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Halfords

Bike or car?

I ask because I was in my local(large) Halfords today, followed by a
report in The Times

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1562477.ece

and my local is 50/50. Do we consider Halfords a bike shop now?
Old June 6th 15, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys

Old June 6th 15, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Tosspot" wrote in message

Bike or car?

I ask because I was in my local(large) Halfords today, followed by a
report in The Times

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1562477.ece

and my local is 50/50. Do we consider Halfords a bike shop now?

I would say so - I wouldn't trust them to touch my car.
But with a bike- well, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Old June 7th 15, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:50:38 +0100
Tosspot wrote:

Bike or car?

I ask because I was in my local(large) Halfords today, followed by a
report in The Times

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1562477.ece

and my local is 50/50. Do we consider Halfords a bike shop now?

I think it still depends on the attitude and skills of their bike
people, on a shop by shop basis. It's clear that they've been given
more floor space than they had a few years ago, and more to spend on
stock, but that doesn't necessarily make them better bike shops.

Old June 7th 15, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 6 June 2015 22:50:40 UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
Bike or car?

I ask because I was in my local(large) Halfords today, followed by a
report in The Times

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1562477.ece

and my local is 50/50. Do we consider Halfords a bike shop now?

Last time I went to Halfords, it was for them to fit a new car battery. Last time I had a new frame built up into a complete machine it was at a LBS, as it would be beyond Halfords.

Old June 7th 15, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 07/06/15 07:38, Alycidon wrote:
On Saturday, 6 June 2015 22:50:40 UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
Bike or car?

I ask because I was in my local(large) Halfords today, followed by a
report in The Times

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1562477.ece

and my local is 50/50. Do we consider Halfords a bike shop now?

Last time I went to Halfords, it was for them to fit a new car battery. Last time I had a new frame built up into a complete machine it was at a LBS, as it would be beyond Halfords.

Tbf, that is beyond there remit, and I suspect a lot of bike shops
(Evans?) won't do that either, they are just retailers.

Old June 7th 15, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 07/06/2015 09:18, Tosspot wrote:

Last time I went to Halfords, it was for them to fit a new car
battery. Last time I had a new frame built up into a complete machine
it was at a LBS, as it would be beyond Halfords.

Tbf, that is beyond there remit, and I suspect a lot of bike shops
(Evans?) won't do that either, they are just retailers.

I've not built a bike for over thirty years but I wouldn't think it is
that difficult. The most difficult thing I would think is fitting and
adjusting the gears, which I have recently had done by a bike shop when
a brake/shifter failed on a new bike.

Old June 7th 15, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 06/06/2015 21:50, Tosspot wrote:
Bike or car?

I ask because I was in my local(large) Halfords today, followed by a
report in The Times

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1562477.ece

and my local is 50/50. Do we consider Halfords a bike shop now?

The psycholists won't consider it a 'proper' bike shop because it isn't
expensive enough.
Old June 7th 15, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 07/06/15 13:04, Nick wrote:
On 07/06/2015 09:18, Tosspot wrote:

Last time I went to Halfords, it was for them to fit a new car
battery. Last time I had a new frame built up into a complete machine
it was at a LBS, as it would be beyond Halfords.

Tbf, that is beyond there remit, and I suspect a lot of bike shops
(Evans?) won't do that either, they are just retailers.

I've not built a bike for over thirty years but I wouldn't think it is
that difficult. The most difficult thing I would think is fitting and
adjusting the gears, which I have recently had done by a bike shop when
a brake/shifter failed on a new bike.

It isn't trivial. I build all my bikes from the wheels up. Gearing,
chain lengths (mine are all hubs), chain lines, stem lengths, seat post
offsets all have to be worked out one way or another, and that's before
you even get to the work of cutting cables, bleeding hoses and cleaning
powder coat out of braze-ons.

I allow about 16 hours of work end-to-end. It's surprising how much
time even getting the cable runs neat takes.
Old June 7th 15, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 07/06/2015 13:25, David Lang wrote:

On 06/06/2015 21:50, Tosspot wrote:

Bike or car?

I ask because I was in my local(large) Halfords today, followed by a
report in The Times
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1562477.ece
and my local is 50/50. Do we consider Halfords a bike shop now?

The psycholists won't consider it a 'proper' bike shop because it isn't
expensive enough.

In the meeja today, there's a story of a cyclist arrested for assault,
who continued by assaulting the police (by his own admission, BTW: he
said he didn't think it was wrong).

His bike: an £8,000 Italian machine (as reported).

Thanks to Halfords. [email protected] UK 25 September 25th 06 11:38 PM
Halfords etc. John Hearns UK 4 June 10th 05 03:13 AM
Seen in Halfords Zog The Undeniable UK 12 May 9th 05 05:38 PM
Halfords JonC UK 5 June 6th 04 10:38 PM
Halfords martin UK 21 September 24th 03 01:32 PM