Cyclists causing greenhouse effect

Old May 16th 15, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
colwyn[_2_]

Default Cyclists causing greenhouse effect

YOU SAID:
It certainly doesn't apply to 'any urban area'. I'll wager £1,000 that
a bicycle would lose on either of two urban area journeys of my choice.

I replied:
I would wager a bicycle to win on ANY route of MY choice!

I then showed an example of a clip to illustrate my point.
I could have chosen: Cycle path runs (part of which are in that video)
Bus Routes ( where push-bikes are permitted ) Short cuts on shared path.
or legal filtering at busy times.

My point still stands and my "toy" would still get to MY destination first!

I was left wondering, why anybody would want to challenge you (or me) on
a skewed wager?

Old May 16th 15, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

On 15/05/2015 12:21, Peter Keller wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 00:08:41 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I am intelligent enough to know when I'm right.

Suit yourself.
I have absolutely no desire to be like you.

You and lots of others, I'd say.
Old May 16th 15, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

On 16/05/2015 11:09, colwyn wrote:

YOU SAID:
It certainly doesn't apply to 'any urban area'. I'll wager £1,000 that
a bicycle would lose on either of two urban area journeys of my choice.

I replied:
I would wager a bicycle to win on ANY route of MY choice!

I then showed an example of a clip to illustrate my point.
I could have chosen: Cycle path runs (part of which are in that video)
Bus Routes ( where push-bikes are permitted ) Short cuts on shared path.
or legal filtering at busy times.

My point still stands and my "toy" would still get to MY destination first!

I was left wondering, why anybody would want to challenge you (or me) on
a skewed wager?

Excellent point.

The celebrated "Top Gear" commuter competitions were exactly that: rigged.

Real commuter journeys don't start in inner-city locations and end at
other locations within the same inner-city. Or at least, the vast
majority don't.
Old May 16th 15, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
colwyn[_2_]

YOU SAID:
[...]

Inner-city - I would venture, door to door, a bicycle would beat a car
on most up to 2-3 mile run. By the time you got your motor out of the
garage/ car park/ parking space next road and found parking space at
your destination I would be ready at work (for example)
Old May 16th 15, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
colwyn[_2_]

YOU SAID:
[...]

Just as an afterthought, my paper boy/girl would beat car transport any
time!
Old May 16th 15, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Tarcap

YOU SAID:
[...]

Don't forget to factor in the showering/ changing time at the end of the
journey, though.
Or are you quite happy to share your Eau de polecat with your co-workers?

Old May 16th 15, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
colwyn[_2_]

YOU SAID:
[...]

What? Building site/ Garbage disposal/ Water treatment / Chimney sweep/
Sewerage plant/ I am sure you find many more by typing " smelly jobs"
into Google.
But seriously, I don't think short distances on a bike at a reasonable
speed would cause any more smelly perspiration than sitting in a queue
of stalled traffic clutching a sweaty steering wheel. As a guess I think
cyclists are much better at personal hygiene. By the way sweat does NOT
smell!

(Researchers found barely half of British adults always wash their hands
with soap after visiting the toilet. And a quarter of workers claim to
be too rushed to wash and dry their hands properly after nipping to the loo.

A morning shower is regularly skipped by 58 per cent of men, with a
quarter admitting they would rather have the extra time in bed. One in
three said they simply couldn’t be bothered.)
Full article he
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/327...y-skip-hygiene
Old May 16th 15, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Tarcap

YOU SAID:
[...]

But that is all part of that particular job. Sitting in an office (or
similar environment) next to someone smelling like a wildebeest is
definitely not.

But seriously, I don't think short distances on a bike at a reasonable
speed would cause any more smelly perspiration than sitting in a queue
of stalled traffic clutching a sweaty steering wheel.

I've heard that bull**** before on this NG. I didn't believe it then, and I
certainly don't now.
It could be that you don't smell your own stink, in the same way that a
skunk doesn't find his own smell offensive, perhaps?

By the way, all the cars that I've owned for the last 20 years or so have
had climate control/aircon. My steering wheel is far from sweaty.

As a guess I think cyclists are much better at personal hygiene.

Do you have a cite for that, or did you just make it up?

By the way sweat does NOT smell!

As I thought, you are oblivious to your own stench.

(Researchers found barely half of British adults always wash their hands
with soap after visiting the toilet. And a quarter of workers claim to
be too rushed to wash and dry their hands properly after nipping to the loo.

A morning shower is regularly skipped by 58 per cent of men, with a
quarter admitting they would rather have the extra time in bed. One in
three said they simply couldn’t be bothered.)

And quite a few compound the issue by pedalling to work on a bike, without
even showering then!

Old May 16th 15, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

YOU SAID:
[...]

Absolutely: a made-up journey to work that hardly exists in the real
world outside the rarified environs of inner West London can be tweaked
so that a bicycle "wins".

You won't find many to disagree with that.

I wonder whether a cyclist would have beaten me yesterday on my 67 mile
journey to work (by car)?

Old May 16th 15, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
MrCheerful

YOU SAID:
[...]

Or mine yesterday, over 50 miles each way, with a mate, plus over a
hundredweight of tools. 55 minutes there and 1hr10 back, in air
conditioned comfort.