Wired or wireless cycle computer/odometer?

Old June 8th 15, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Wired or wireless cycle computer/odometer?

I've always used a wired one, but am thinking of changing to wireless.
How accurate are the wireless ones? Anyone had experience with using them?
--
Bod
Old June 8th 15, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 08/06/2015 11:38, Bod wrote:
I've always used a wired one, but am thinking of changing to wireless.
How accurate are the wireless ones? Anyone had experience with using them?

I prefer wired. No difference in measurement, but you don't need to
replace 2 batteries. But that is just me!
Old June 8th 15, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 11:38:06 +0100
Bod wrote:

I've always used a wired one, but am thinking of changing to wireless.
How accurate are the wireless ones? Anyone had experience with using
them?

I had a cheap wireless one (from Lidl, I think, with heart monitor)
which worked fine, except if I had it in my pocket when I went into a
shop with security scanners on the door it went crazy.
IME wired computers aren't any trouble as long as you route the wire
carefully and secure it adequately - I usually wrap it around the front
brake cable.
You need to be careful with either type if you're in the habit of
dropping wheels out to put the bike in your car, but at least if you
snag a wireless sensor it won't rip the wire out. :-)

Old June 8th 15, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 8 June 2015 13:38:09 UTC+3, Bod wrote:
I've always used a wired one, but am thinking of changing to wireless.
How accurate are the wireless ones? Anyone had experience with using them?
--
Bod

Why not use a Garmin Edge?
Great if you get lost too.

http://www.garmin.com/uk/training

Old June 8th 15, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Bod wrote:

I've always used a wired one, but am thinking of changing to wireless.
How accurate are the wireless ones? Anyone had experience with using
them?

I had a cheap wireless one (from Lidl, I think, with heart monitor)
which worked fine, except if I had it in my pocket when I went into a
shop with security scanners on the door it went crazy.
IME wired computers aren't any trouble as long as you route the wire
carefully and secure it adequately - I usually wrap it around the front
brake cable.
You need to be careful with either type if you're in the habit of
dropping wheels out to put the bike in your car, but at least if you
snag a wireless sensor it won't rip the wire out. :-)

I've never had a problem with the wired type. I just fancied a wireless
one for a change.
Thanks.
Old June 8th 15, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 08/06/2015 13:06, Alycidon wrote:
On Monday, 8 June 2015 13:38:09 UTC+3, Bod wrote:
I've always used a wired one, but am thinking of changing to wireless.
How accurate are the wireless ones? Anyone had experience with using them?
--
Bod

Why not use a Garmin Edge?
Great if you get lost too.

http://www.garmin.com/uk/training

Interesting, but a little OTT for the distances that I cover (6 to 8
miles......on a sunny day day :-)
Nice bit of kit that Garmin Edge though.
Old June 8th 15, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 08/06/15 12:38, Bod wrote:
I've always used a wired one, but am thinking of changing to wireless.
How accurate are the wireless ones? Anyone had experience with using them?

Ime sender battery goes flat after 5 revolutions of the wheel :-( Ok, I
exaggerate, but they are a pain imho,

Old June 8th 15, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"Bod" wrote
On 08/06/2015 13:06, Alycidon wrote:

Why not use a Garmin Edge?
Great if you get lost too.

http://www.garmin.com/uk/training

Interesting, but a little OTT for the distances that I cover (6 to 8
miles......on a sunny day day :-)
Nice bit of kit that Garmin Edge though.

Depends on which one. The Edge 200 is the cheapest and intended as a basic
computer replacement but it is buggy and displays silly stuff such as
unfeasible numbers of calories and doesn't have a usable clock.

If what is wanted is a ride logger in the pannier and weather proofing not
important, I suggest smartphones are now more capable at a
much lower price. I have an Alcatel C1 Pop (now down to £20-30) and the gps
tracklogs are actually better than the 200. Battery life (in aeroplane mode)
seems little different. So a basic computer still sits on the handlebar.

Old June 8th 15, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 08/06/2015 20:07, TMS320 wrote:
"Bod" wrote
On 08/06/2015 13:06, Alycidon wrote:

Why not use a Garmin Edge?
Great if you get lost too.

http://www.garmin.com/uk/training

Interesting, but a little OTT for the distances that I cover (6 to 8
miles......on a sunny day day :-)
Nice bit of kit that Garmin Edge though.

Depends on which one. The Edge 200 is the cheapest and intended as a basic
computer replacement but it is buggy and displays silly stuff such as
unfeasible numbers of calories and doesn't have a usable clock.

If what is wanted is a ride logger in the pannier and weather proofing not
important, I suggest smartphones are now more capable at a
much lower price. I have an Alcatel C1 Pop (now down to £20-30) and the gps
tracklogs are actually better than the 200. Battery life (in aeroplane mode)
seems little different. So a basic computer still sits on the handlebar.

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and it is fun but the heart rate monitor has
problems with nylon tops and it is generally disappointing compared to a
modern Smart Phone, considering its price.

I think you need the smart phone to have Ant to work with external
sensors, like heart rate, or cadence.