Newton St update (off High Holborn, Central London)

Old February 3rd 05, 09:54 AM
Shuggie

Default Newton St update (off High Holborn, Central London)

A few months back we discussed the contra flow cycle lane in Newton St.
It petered out after about 15 metres, leaving cyclists riding the wrong
way down the one way street.

This week, Newton St is being resurfaced and bollards are being
installed, which suggests that the cycle lane will be extended, to
connect with the remainder of the north-south route through Covent
Garden.

Cheers, James

Old February 3rd 05, 10:35 AM
Colin McKenzie

Shuggie wrote:

A few months back we discussed the contra flow cycle lane in Newton St.
It petered out after about 15 metres, leaving cyclists riding the wrong
way down the one way street.

This week, Newton St is being resurfaced and bollards are being
installed, which suggests that the cycle lane will be extended, to
connect with the remainder of the north-south route through Covent
Garden.

How much traffic uses the road? How fast are 85th percentile speeds?
If both are low, a full-length contraflow lane is a waste of money.
You just need protection at the ends and enough signs to let everyone
know that contraflow cycling is legal.

See Traffic Advisory Leaflet (DfT) 06/98.

Colin McKenzie

Old February 3rd 05, 11:34 AM
Shuggie

I think that is what they are doing. A bollard where the one way
section starts at the southern end, and another at the top of the
street, and presumably a painted line in between, but it is hard to be
sure while the street is being resurfaced.

I imagine they expect quite intensive use of this north-south route
through London. I mean, they installed right turn traffic lights from
the High Holborn contraflow, to enable turns across the traffic into
the north end of Newton St, so it aint been cheap so far.

Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Carbo loading before a race? jb General 84 June 8th 04 02:02 PM
Unfaired Recumbent vs. Upright Speed Comparisons B. Sanders Recumbent Biking 57 November 8th 03 03:43 PM