Anti theft measures for cycles stored in garages, sheds etc?

Old April 6th 04, 04:03 AM
DC

Default Anti theft measures for cycles stored in garages, sheds etc?

Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm
be the best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or
floors etc via locks.

Not the most the pleasant of subjects but it better than your pride
and joy going missing to be never seen again

Thanks for your comments

DC.
Old April 6th 04, 06:04 AM
R15757

U-lock to the fridge or freezer door handle.
Old April 6th 04, 06:25 AM
Dan Daniel

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:03:04 +0100, DC wrote:

Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm
be the best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or
floors etc via locks.

Not the most the pleasant of subjects but it better than your pride
and joy going missing to be never seen again

Thanks for your comments

DC.

I have a wooden frame in the basement. Large stainless steel screw-in
eye rings into a stud (pre-drill a hole and use a piece of pipe
through the ring to turn). Either a u-lock or cable can be pushed
through the ring. Figure out the proper height for easy use. I am sure
that something similar can be done to concrete.

Living in a city apartment building, I use both a u-lock through the
rear wheel inside the rear triangle and a cable lock through another
ring for the front wheel. Part is experience- having a front wheel
stolen ( I have another cable through a ring that goes through spare
wheels)- part is paranoia, and part is strategy- other tenants have
bikes down there but none locked up as well as mine, so I figure
theirs will go first.

If I had a true top dollar bike, I'd bring it inside no matter what.
And still lock it to something.

Old April 6th 04, 07:14 AM
David Reuteler

R15757 wrote:
U-lock to the fridge or freezer door handle.

i u-lock mine to my ankle.
--
david reuteler

Old April 6th 04, 02:53 PM
Jeff Starr

DC wrote in message . ..
Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm
be the best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or
floors etc via locks.

Not the most the pleasant of subjects but it better than your pride
and joy going missing to be never seen again

Thanks for your comments

DC.

Hi, I either leave the bike on the car rack, where I cable lock the
bike to the rack and the rack is cable locked to the car. My car has
tow rings, under the back bumper, so I run a cable from the ring to
the rack.

If I take the bike off the rack, I then lock the bike to my
snowblower, the blower is cable locked to a board that is part of the
garage. If someone wanted the bike or the blower and planned ahead
then they could bring a cable cutter, but I think most of the garage
thefts in my area are of opportunity or on impulse. Another words, not
planned in advance.

So far, this year, where the riding season is just starting [for me],
I have been taking the bike in the house after each ride. I have just
spent a little time, a lot of effort, and a good bit of money on
upgrades, so I am a lot more protective of the bike. That will
probably change in a few months. But, better safe than sorry! I have a
couple of spare rooms, so keeping the bikes indoors is not a problem.
Life is Good!
Jeff
Old April 6th 04, 04:21 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:03:04 +0100, DC may have said:

Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm
be the best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or
floors etc via locks.

Not the most the pleasant of subjects but it better than your pride
and joy going missing to be never seen again

If the thief can get entrance to the garage or shed without being
impeded or discovered, the battle's lost. The first line of defense
*is* the outer door. Once they get into the garage or shed, they're
going to have adequate time and privacy to defeat any lock you're
probably going to be able to employ.

In the USA, this may be less of a problem than where you are in the
UK. This is largely because if a US thief is going to bother with
burglary, a bicycle (even an expensive one) is not likely to be what
the thief is there to steal.

Old April 6th 04, 04:22 PM
Werehatrack

On 06 Apr 2004 06:14:13 GMT, David Reuteler may
have said:

R15757 wrote:
U-lock to the fridge or freezer door handle.

i u-lock mine to my ankle.

Kinky.

Old April 6th 04, 04:39 PM
Steven Goodridge

Dan Daniel wrote
I have a wooden frame in the basement. Large stainless steel screw-in
eye rings into a stud (pre-drill a hole and use a piece of pipe
through the ring to turn). Either a u-lock or cable can be pushed
through the ring. Figure out the proper height for easy use. I am sure
that something similar can be done to concrete.

I use this exact same setup in my garage. I use a really, really big
eye ring. The number of rotations it would take to unscrew would be
pretty much impossible with bicycles locked to it with a thick cable
or U-lock.

I use a cable with a simple combination lock to make unlocking easy
without a key.

The garage-browsing thieves in my neighborhood are too lazy to be
bothered with this setup. They have hit other homes, though.

-Steve Goodridge
Old April 6th 04, 04:58 PM
G.T.

DC wrote in message ...
Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm
be the best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or
floors etc via locks.

I had big eye bolts screwed into the framing of my garage and then used
Ulocks to lock the bikes to the eye bolts. This was mostly to prevent crimes
of opportunity when I accidentally left my garage door open.

Greg

Old April 6th 04, 07:55 PM
Q.

DC wrote in message ...
Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft?

Personally my garages have always been locked up tight ... I block any
windows with a nice thick piece of wood screwed into the concrete for
example. I've also always had big dogs and in my current situation the dog
sleeps in the garage / breezeway. Automatic lights outside as well. NRA
stickers help too (c:

You can also set up booby traps. Now, setting up proper booby traps is a
big no no, however with some thought you can arrange things so it makes it
difficult and painful for any thief to enter your premises once they get in.
Put that box of metal rods right under the window, with the sharp ends of
the rods facing up of course, or put that rollaway tool chest in front of
the back door so it cant move very far once the car is in the garage for the
night.

C.Q.C.