fix it up or junk it?

Old August 14th 05, 12:05 AM
mo fo

Default fix it up or junk it?

Hey, group!

I have an early 90's Fuji Pulsar. Here's some details: 10 speed.
steel frame road bike, drop bars. I rode it for many years
through the potholes and bad weather of New York City. It's
current condition: missing a spoke or two, left crank feels like
it's bent. Small tear in seat. Tires and brake pads are dry
rotted. Needs to be degreased badly. Derailleur/cassette and
chain look good. It cost $180 new and has served me well for the
money I paid.

It would need a whole new crank/pedals/bottom bracket system,
probably 2 new rims, new tires, maybe a new seat or just a cover,
brake pads, and a good scrub, re-lube and re-calibrate. What
would you do? Fix it up or junk it? Or do you have another
suggestion? Curious to hear your opinions.

While this is collecting dust I'm riding a new Trek 7200FX, which
I like alot, but is a straight bar hybrid.

Thanks,

Rob

Old August 14th 05, 12:40 PM
Peter Cole

mo fo wrote:
Hey, group!

I have an early 90's Fuji Pulsar. Here's some details: 10 speed.
steel frame road bike, drop bars.

It cost $180 new and has served me well for the
money I paid.

It would need a whole new crank/pedals/bottom bracket system,
probably 2 new rims, new tires, maybe a new seat or just a cover,
brake pads, and a good scrub, re-lube and re-calibrate. What
would you do? Fix it up or junk it?

I don't think it's worth fixing up, do the math before you start, I
think you'll have to agree.
Old August 14th 05, 05:58 PM
bryanska

I have to agree. Unless you can get these parts cheep and do the labor
yourself, you might be better served by taking that money and looking
for a good-cond road bike that someone bought but never rode.

But keep the Fuji if you have the space. Singlespeed...

Old August 14th 05, 06:30 PM
BobT

"mo fo" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

I would suggest buying a new all Carbon Frame (perhaps Orbea Orca), some
really exotic wheels (say $1500 worth), and full Record components. You can
get all this, perhaps more, for about what it costs me to visit NYC for a 3
day weekend. :-r

BobT

Old August 14th 05, 06:35 PM
mo fo

that sounds like a good idear.
~R

"BobT" wrote in message
: "mo fo" wrote in message
: nk.net...
: Hey, group!
:

Old August 14th 05, 08:35 PM
dig dug

nah, i'd just put record components on it...
\or better yet: buy a colnago c50HP frame and swap parts from the fuji ..
!

Old August 14th 05, 08:49 PM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:05:22 GMT,
et, "mo fo"
wrote:

It would need a whole new crank/pedals/bottom bracket system,
probably 2 new rims, new tires, maybe a new seat or just a cover,
brake pads, and a good scrub, re-lube and re-calibrate. What
would you do? Fix it up or junk it? Or do you have another
suggestion? Curious to hear your opinions.

If you _really_ like the old Fuji, go shopping around garage sales and
dumpsters for a bike with better components than yours. Components of
approximately the same period are generally easier to swap around.
You're not looking to upgrade to 8spd. Seven speed components are
sometimes easier to find than six. For what you pay for the old parts
pieced out, you can buy the whole bike and take what you need.
--
zk
Old August 14th 05, 09:19 PM
Cully_J

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to agree. Unless you can get these parts cheep and do the labor
yourself, you might be better served by taking that money and looking
for a good-cond road bike that someone bought but never rode.

But keep the Fuji if you have the space. Singlespeed...

I totally agree, singlespeeds and fixies are where it's at!

Cully_J

Old August 14th 05, 10:54 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Fix it up.

--Blair
"I didn't read your post."
Old August 14th 05, 11:21 PM
The Wogster

mo fo wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, new or maybe recycled cranks, wheel reconditioning, new tires,
brake pads, seat, and a good tune up, your probably out $100. Would
give you a beater bike, that you could ride when the weather is crappy,
or your going somewhere that bike theft is a popular activity, because
you ain't gonna cry if it goes missing one day.

Hyperglide chains - worthwhile or junk? BarryNL Techniques 15 May 3rd 05 12:10 AM
space junk JD Mountain Biking 29 September 15th 04 02:51 AM
ok to eat junk food? wle Techniques 148 December 22nd 03 01:04 AM