Disabled cyclist denied access to Brighton Pier.

Old August 16th 10, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

Default Disabled cyclist denied access to Brighton Pier.

Imagine my surprise when walking my diminutive folding bike towards
the entrance to the pier I was denied access. Most people are unaware
that disabled cyclists are widely discriminated against, compared to
say manual and motorised wheelchair users, but at least disabled
cyclists are allowed to wheel their bikes in such places as railways
stations and along pavements.

I suffer from a condition that makes walking difficult and painful but
much less so with cycling. Also, walking the bike has similar benefits
to using a walking frame. Still, I did have the consolation of not
parting with my money to the traders on the pier.

Doug.
Old August 16th 10, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
Imagine my surprise when walking my diminutive folding bike towards
the entrance to the pier I was denied access. Most people are unaware
that disabled cyclists are widely discriminated against, compared to
say manual and motorised wheelchair users, but at least disabled
cyclists are allowed to wheel their bikes in such places as railways
stations and along pavements.

I suffer from a condition that makes walking difficult and painful but
much less so with cycling. Also, walking the bike has similar benefits
to using a walking frame. Still, I did have the consolation of not
parting with my money to the traders on the pier.

Doug.

You were not denied access, your bicycle was, this may well be partly
because of the IRA Brighton bombing attempt in 1994 which used bicycle borne
bombs.

Bicycles are also a major safety problem as a trip hazard in the event of an
emergency evacuation due to fire or other disaster, and piers have often
caught fire. Rather like the same way you would not be allowed to take a
bicycle into a cinema

I applaud the staff that turned you away in order to safeguard others.

Old August 17th 10, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On 16 Aug, 09:26, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

In exactly the same way wheelchairs can prevent a problem but they are
allowed on the pier. Hence the discrimination against disabled
cyclists.

Doug...
Old August 17th 10, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

What problem - other than the obvious lack of mobility of their users - do
wheelchairs prevent?
Old August 17th 10, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

I think he intended to write 'present' rather than prevent.
Disabled cyclists (which must be quite a small number of people nationwide)
could always bring sticks to use in areas where bicycles are not a good idea
or banned.
Brighton pier is privately owned, so really they can ban any item they like,
especially if it represents a massive safety hazard (like a bicycle)

Old August 17th 10, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Mrcheerful wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 16 Aug, 09:26, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

[ ... ]

I applaud the staff that turned you away in order to safeguard
others.

In exactly the same way wheelchairs can prevent a problem but they
are allowed on the pier. Hence the discrimination against disabled
cyclists.

What problem - other than the obvious lack of mobility of their users
- do wheelchairs prevent?

I think he intended to write 'present' rather than prevent.

OK...

Disabled cyclists (which must be quite a small number of people nationwide)
could always bring sticks to use in areas where bicycles are not a good idea
or banned.
Brighton pier is privately owned, so really they can ban any item they like,
especially if it represents a massive safety hazard (like a bicycle)

Quite.

Mind you - they *could* provide a bike parking place at the entrance and rent
out wheelchairs to "disabled cyclists" desperate to use the pier.
Old August 18th 10, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
"Mrcheerful" considered Tue, 17 Aug 2010
18:58:25 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Doug wrote:
[...]

Even private premises are subject to the requirements of the
Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 which include
facilitating access for invalid carriages. When used by a disabled
person, a bicycle meets all the legal requirements for being a class
one invalid carriage, so it would seem the operators were in breach of
the Act in denying access.
If the presence of an invalid carriage (of any sort) poses a risk, it
is only because the operators have been negligent in their duties
under The Act.

a standard bicycle is not an invalid carriage. quote :
Invalid carriage: A mechanically propelled vehicle (mpv) designed &
constructed -not merely adapted! - for the use of a person suffering from
some sort of physical defect or disability & used SOLELY by such a person.

Old August 18th 10, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

Very bullish.

Why don't you write to the Brighton Argus and complain?

Old August 19th 10, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

Doug wrote:
[...]

My house is private premises, are you sugusting that it is subject to
the Disabled Persons Act?

Or is it just more hot air from a poster who has yet to post anything
correct?
Old August 16th 10, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
maresh

On Aug 16, 7:29*am, Doug wrote:
Imagine my surprise when walking my diminutive folding bike towards
the entrance to the pier I was denied access. Most people are unaware
that disabled cyclists are widely discriminated against, compared to
say manual and *motorised wheelchair users, but at least disabled
cyclists are allowed to wheel their bikes in such places as railways
stations and along pavements.

I suffer from a condition that makes walking difficult and painful but
much less so with cycling. Also, walking the bike has similar benefits
to using a walking frame. Still, I did have the consolation of not
parting with my money to the traders on the pier.

Doug.

Bicycles are obviously considered a danger & an inconvience on the
peir, so they are banned.

If cycles were allowed on the pier cyclist would be riding them not
pushing them.

If cyclists behaved in a better manner then perhaps such bans would
not be in place.

They have brought it on themselves, you only have to see the amount of
pavement cycling that happens in Brighton to know the reason.