Reproduction ChuckHarris Mirrors

Old November 24th 14, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Reproduction ChuckHarris Mirrors

On 24/11/14 12:20, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/23/2014 3:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, you would also be surprised by the number of ring-related injuries

I saw working as an ambulance driver. Odd electrical burns and
amputations...

I can't remember if it was a friend of a friend, or something in an
article I read, but a guy working under the dash of his car got his
wedding ring between 12 volts hot and a good ground. Precious metals
are damned good conductors! Since then, I try to remember removing my
ring when I do such work.

I don't wear any rings, necklaces or even a watch. I find them
generally uncomfortable.

My brother in law caught a metal wrist watch band between a car battery
positive terminal and the car chassis and it left an impression that
will last a lifetime.

--
JS
Old November 24th 14, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John D. Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:34:51 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 7:48:48 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/22/2014 6:50 PM, wrote:

danger perceived here is the common springback or lever surprise.

impact at the mirror snaps helmet end then pronging over to the eye area, impact forced.

Some people are avid fans of imagined hazards. They fear any danger
they can imagine, no matter how unlikely. In their own view, their
lives are a constant series of narrowly-averted disasters.

Wounds from eyeglass- or hat-mounted mirrors? Google up some stats,
please.

I had about a zillion tiny stitches in my face after getting cut to the bone by my rimless glasses. Always ask for the plastic surgeon. And don't do a face plant while riding (didn't see the ice, odd fall). This doesn't mean I'm not going to wear my glasses, and although my current set have rims, I didn't choose them for safety.

BTW, you would also be surprised by the number of ring-related injuries I saw working as an ambulance driver. Odd electrical burns and amputations. The last one was a woman who vaulted a fence; her ring got stuck, and she ripped her finger off. Some innocuous things can be dangerous depending on one's lifestyle.

-- Jay Beattie.

The Air force had a proven solution. "DON'T WEAR RINGS WHEN YOU ARE
WORKING" and after my Crew Chief, at the time, jumped out of the Bomb
bay and caught his ring on what we reckoned must have been a rivet
head and jerked his finger off I became a "true believer" and haven't
worn a ring since :-)
--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb
Old November 24th 14, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John D. Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:20:17 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/23/2014 3:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, you would also be surprised by the number of ring-related injuries

I saw working as an ambulance driver. Odd electrical burns and
amputations...

I can't remember if it was a friend of a friend, or something in an
article I read, but a guy working under the dash of his car got his
wedding ring between 12 volts hot and a good ground. Precious metals
are damned good conductors! Since then, I try to remember removing my
ring when I do such work.

But so much of this thought process is trying to discern the difference
between fearlessness, prudence, or phobia. ISTM the publishing industry
(including the online version) pushes us toward the latter. "Your
Wedding Ring is Unlikely to Harm You" will never catch as many eyeballs
as "Wedding Rings: Amputation Danger?"

When I was a young fellow in the Air force we had an electrician came
to the airplane to fix the charging circuits and shorted a ring
between a main generator and ground and melted the gold ring off his
finger and a couple of weeks later my crew chief jumped down out of
the bomb bay and his ring caught on something and peeled all the skin
off his ring finger.

Needless to say this made an impression on a young impressionable lad
and I've never wore a ring since. I also got in the habit of taking my
wris****ch off before going to work and it got to be such an
unconscious act that I've discovered my watch in my pocket and
couldn't remember taking it off.

As for statistics, I personally saw one other finger and ring accident
in my twenty years :-)
--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb
Old November 24th 14, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I wear a balaclava* tuned up into a watchcap. Holds very light hair down, eyes free of that, dirt off head, and UV protective esp at the forehead hairline...and acts as a helmet. Effective helmet, for the foam naysayers.

and a credit card. wonderful light credit card.

Old November 25th 14, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 24, 2014 5:09:25 PM UTC-5, Phil W Lee wrote:
Frank Krygowski considered Sun, 23 Nov 2014
20:20:17 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 11/23/2014 3:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, you would also be surprised by the number of ring-related injuries

I saw working as an ambulance driver. Odd electrical burns and
amputations...

I can't remember if it was a friend of a friend, or something in an
article I read, but a guy working under the dash of his car got his
wedding ring between 12 volts hot and a good ground. Precious metals
are damned good conductors! Since then, I try to remember removing my
ring when I do such work.

But so much of this thought process is trying to discern the difference
between fearlessness, prudence, or phobia. ISTM the publishing industry
(including the online version) pushes us toward the latter. "Your
Wedding Ring is Unlikely to Harm You" will never catch as many eyeballs
as "Wedding Rings: Amputation Danger?"

Back when I was an active motorcycle racing marshal, all rings had to
be removed to pass scrutineering.
But that is a far more dangerous environment than most, so more
extreme measures are justified to minimise the risks.

utube video suggests these racers often remove their frontal lobes
Old November 26th 14, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:09:50 PM UTC-5, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Mon, 24 Nov 2014 16:25:34 -0800 (PST)
the perfect time to write:

[...]

Only the short circuit riders.
They are the ones who regard falling off as part of the process if
finding the grip level of each section of track.

The road racers need plenty of intelligence, particularly those who
race on the Mountain circuit on the IoM.
Learning every inch of a 37.73 mile circuit over country lanes is
something that needs more than average wits, not less.
The level of concentration, sustained for over 1 hour 45 minutes in
the Senior and Superbike races which are run over six laps, is far
above what most people are capable of.

0

we know that

you missed the ambience
Old November 26th 14, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

we know that

you missed the ambience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sp_8aXD770

I'll send up the fatal flipside later

Anybody have a good source for reproduction decals? !Jones Techniques 34 March 20th 13 02:27 AM
Mirrors for Bromptons? [email protected] UK 10 August 26th 07 04:46 PM
Trucks & Mirrors Roos Eisma UK 6 June 8th 07 05:05 PM
FS: Reproduction ordinary Danny Colyer UK 8 December 19th 05 08:12 PM
Mirrors (again) ed Techniques 2 September 29th 04 06:59 PM