OT: Left hand down?

Old June 13th 21, 07:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.repair,uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey[_2_]

Default OT: Left hand down?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 03:58:11 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Dean Hoffman wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

Why do people say left hand down instead of left?
We all know which way to turn the wheel to make
the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if
I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand
isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sens

The only thing I can think of is from the old days.

Dunno, hard to see that unless you mean say the military during WW2 etc.

There was a time when drivers used hand signals
to signal left, right, or stop with their left hands.

Nope, with their right hands, Britain is right hand
drive and that phrase doesn’t appear to be that
common outside right hand drive countrys.

And there was no down involved. There was a way to
indicate a left turn by the driver in a right hand drive
car but I cant remember what what it was. Hand moving
downward indicated slowing down before lights were
common.

That might still be legal

Yeah, it is still used by bicycle riders.

but I don't remember anyone using them.

I did see it very rarely indeed in my early days
and still see it quite a bit with bicycle riders.

Eh? Cyclists just stick one arm straight out in the direction they're going. Anything else would bre ambiguous.

That reminds me of the first time I ever saw someone tell us to slow down. He had his hand palm down, and was lowering it repeatedly. We realised later he was informing us of an accident up ahead. But both me and my friend who was driving were trying to figure out what was left open, thinking he meant the boot (trunk) was up in the air.

I was on holiday and parked in a layby with poor visibility (blind bend behind me). As I began reversing out, a German tourist simply raised one finger. I took this to mean "you're ok to go", and continued, then slammed on the brakes as a bus came round the corner. Apparently Germans don't bother using the whole hand to mean stop.
Old June 13th 21, 07:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.repair,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

news
wrote:

[...]

Yeah. I meant hand signals in general there.

That reminds me of the first time I ever saw someone tell us to slow down.
He had his hand palm down, and was lowering it repeatedly.

Yeah, that was the common signal for that.

We realised later he was informing us of an accident up ahead. But both
me and my friend who was driving were trying to figure out what was left
open, thinking he meant the boot (trunk) was up in the air.

Mate of mine tried to indicate to me that there were cops up ahead
in the garage sale run. I didn’t have a ****ing clue what he was trying
to indicate when he waved his arm around outside the window.

He's the bugger who refuses to use a mobile phone. The
rest of us warn each other about cops using the phone.

I was on holiday and parked in a layby with poor visibility (blind bend
behind me). As I began reversing out, a German tourist simply raised one
finger. I took this to mean "you're ok to go", and continued, then
slammed on the brakes as a bus came round the corner. Apparently Germans
don't bother using the whole hand to mean stop.

That’s why they lost both wars.

Old June 13th 21, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.repair,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_4_]

Default The Two Brain Dead Inseparable Trolling Resident Sociopaths together again

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:16:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Old June 14th 21, 05:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
rbowman[_2_]

On 06/13/2021 11:38 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Does it display it in mirror language so you're used to the output like
a mirror? If not I can imagine people turning the wrong way.

No, it's just a camera. I always bacl into parking spaces if possible
and other than the cat all I use it for is to see the concrete stops
that are usually too narrow to see in the mirrors.

Cats are the dirtiest creatures on the planet, despite the myth. They
don't bathe, they just lick, which doesn't remove fleas for example.
Imagine if instead of taking a bath or shower, you just licked your
finger and rubbed it on your skin. Apart from taking 100 times longer,
it would be 100 times less effective.

The cat has been curious when I'm washing my face at the bathroom sink.
I've offered to scrub him down but he isn't interested.

A couple of weeks ago he managed to be in the wrong place at the wrong
time and I dripped some Spectracide (weed and grass killer) on his butt.
He definitely didn't appreciate being held under the lawn spigot.

I'm surprised your cat doesn't run off when it hears the engine. Every
cat I've owned/known/seen is scared ****less of engines, especially when
mine was sleeping in the actual engine bay when I started it. It's
lucky it wasn't in contact with the belts.

The cat doesn't mind the car or motorcycle. In fact he appears from
someplace when I drive in. He'll lounge around on the lawn while I
mowing until I get too close and then he'll go wherever he goes. He's
back when the engine stops.

Old June 14th 21, 05:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
rbowman[_2_]

On 06/13/2021 11:53 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 22:16:05 +0100, Tekkie© wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:37:40 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to
digest...

On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which
way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in
reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

Whadda yu mean mirrors? Whaddar day?

Things that should be fitted to bicycles.

One of my bicycles has a mirror and I miss it when I'm riding the one
without.

Old June 14th 21, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Peeler[_4_]

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's Eternal Senile Whore!

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:11:03 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

FLUSH more of the usual extensive senile drivel

****, you are just another miserable lonely senile asshole who is THANKFUL
if some filthy troll is engaging him! Can't you see, you endlessly driveling
senile GOSSIP? G
Old June 14th 21, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Peeler[_4_]

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:13:25 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

One of my bicycles has a mirror and I miss it when I'm riding the one
without.

As much as you miss the unwashed Scottish ******'s cock when he's not around
for a while, you devoted senile sucker of troll cock?
Old June 14th 21, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 14/06/2021 05:13, rbowman wrote:
On 06/13/2021 11:53 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 22:16:05 +0100, Tekkie© wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:37:40 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to
digest...

On 06/12/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which
way
to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in
reverse.
And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the
wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look
over your shoulder.

Whadda yu mean mirrors? Whaddar day?

Things that should be fitted to bicycles.

One of my bicycles has a mirror and I miss it when I'm riding the one
without.

Makes getting the mascara right very hard

Josef Stalin
Old June 14th 21, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 14/06/21 7:42 pm, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:11:03 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

FLUSH more of the usual extensive senile drivel

****, you are just another miserable lonely senile asshole who is THANKFUL
if some filthy troll is engaging him! Can't you see, you endlessly driveling
senile GOSSIP? G

voting

Will they ever make a bicycle with both left hand and right hand drives? [email protected] Techniques 34 August 18th 12 08:45 PM
Left or Right hand Rolf Unicycling 1 February 17th 08 08:29 AM
Left/hand right hand brain? make me smrt? unibikeling Unicycling 1 September 3rd 07 04:05 AM
Left hand threads. Moike Australia 25 November 27th 06 04:30 AM
Torqing down left hand BB cup. Wasatch5k Techniques 3 May 7th 05 12:52 AM