GPS systems

Old March 27th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

Default GPS systems

I've been wondering if I should get a GPS system for use on my more or
less annual long rides. I'm mostly interested in finding motels,
restaurants and other facilities and Catholic Churches. Directions
are less of an issue. What kind does anybody use and what are the
pros and cons of them as you see it.
Old March 27th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ted

On Mar 26, 11:02 pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
I've been wondering if I should get a GPS system for use on my more or
less annual long rides. I'm mostly interested in finding motels,
restaurants and other facilities and Catholic Churches. Directions
are less of an issue. What kind does anybody use and what are the
pros and cons of them as you see it.

I have a Garmin Etrex vista CX with City Navigator NT North America
and a 2 GB SD card.
I love it. It has a handlebar clip that is secure and easy to take
the unit on and off. It knows every street, hotel, restaurant, etc.
including phone number in the US. It will give turn by turn
instructions how to get there, with consideration of types of roads
(cycling, driving, walking, etc.)
What I like best with mine is that a cycling log is simple: I
ride with it, (while it tells more than my cycling computer), and when
I return home I plug it into my computer and it will draw a map of
where I have been and it has recorded my route, distance, speed,
elevation gain, max speed, time moving and stopped, etc. (I also use
Sport tracks from zonefivesoftware.com, free). It uses AA NIMH
batteries that will last all day without difficulty.
Beside the price the only drawback is if you make a route to
follow it cannot have more than 100 reference points. Mine did begin
to spontaneously turn off after about 10 months and when I called
Garmin they said to send it back and in no time they mailed me a new
unit.
It works great in my car. I even downloaded a free map of Aruba
and used it there. It even acts as an alarm clock and calculator.
This sounds like an advertisement, but I really love it.

Ted.
Old March 27th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
peter

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
I've been wondering if I should get a GPS system for use on my more or
less annual long rides.

I've been using a Garmin eMap for almost 10 years now on both day
rides (in lieu of a cyclometer) and tours. It's been discontinued for
quite a few years now, but there are plenty of good units available.
When touring it's been very useful in locating grocery stores,
libraries (good for finding local information), and motels. The maps
have been much less useful for campgrounds (the public, NFS-type that
I favor are usually not listed, and instead many unsuitable places are
listed - sports 'camps', bible-study 'camps', etc.). The Garmin maps
include phone numbers, so if you carry a cellphone you can call ahead
to motels/etc. and verify availability and confirm that they're open.
Of course the map and business data does get dated sometimes, but I
haven't found it to be much of a problem, especially in the smaller
towns frequently visited while bike touring.

Main drawback compared to a regular cyclometer is battery life. Mine
runs on AA cells and when touring I can usually get 2-3 days of use
per pair of rechargeable NiMH cells. So for touring I carry enough to
last a week and beyond that carry a small charger to use in motels or
even while eating a meal in a restaurant (get a fairly fast charger to
make this feasible).
Old March 27th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-03-27, Ted wrote:
On Mar 26, 11:02 pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
I've been wondering if I should get a GPS system for use on my more or
less annual long rides. I'm mostly interested in finding motels,
restaurants and other facilities and Catholic Churches. Directions
are less of an issue. What kind does anybody use and what are the
pros and cons of them as you see it.

I have a Garmin Etrex vista CX with City Navigator NT North America
and a 2 GB SD card.

Ditto here, except that I have the Legend Cx. I also use a 2 GB card with
City Navigator NA (not the NT version), though my CN version is getting a
bit long in the tooth now (2006 vintage). I just used two weekends ago to
play tourist while walking around Springfield, IL, and had no problems
finding museums, historical sites, and my hotel again.

The only cons are batteries, but as Ted points out, it takes AAs (NiMH or
alkaline). Getting at least a 2 GB SD card will let you dump *all* of North
America (or Europe) onto the unit at once, so you don't have to swap maps
every time you travel (the way I do with my StreetPilot in the car, as it has
only 128 MB of CompactFlash right now). Oh, and the maps cost $$$ of course,
especially when you upgrade.

It's a fun toy to have, though, and comes in handy on vacation when you're
in an unfamiliar place.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old March 27th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Skip

"peter" wrote in message
I've been using a Garmin eMap for almost 10 years now on both day
rides (in lieu of a cyclometer) and tours.

Me also. The handlebar mount for the eMap is reported to be flimsy (mine
hasn't been a problem, although the attachment screw needs to be tightened
periodically).
People recommend that you attach another tether in case the mount fails. I
haven't done this yet, but plan to.

As for functionality, I love the eMap. Particuarly since it uses the same
map data as my (auto dashboard) original StreetPilot (no model number -- the
original).

- Skip

Old March 28th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:02:03 -0700 (PDT), Ron Wallenfang
wrote:
I've been wondering if I should get a GPS system for use on my more or
less annual long rides. I'm mostly interested in finding motels,
restaurants and other facilities and Catholic Churches. Directions
are less of an issue. What kind does anybody use and what are the
pros and cons of them as you see it.

I haven't bought one, although I've thought about it a few times.
Aside from being too cheap to want to buy all those batteries, the
question I have is about maps and information. How much of a fixed
cost do you have to update maps periodically? Where would you get the
information on motels, etc.? and how much does that cost, and how
often do you need to refresh that?

Outfits like Adventure Cycling and Appalachian Trail Conference
usually publish annual updates; you'd hate to find out the only motel
in 60 miles closed up last year at dusk, if that's what you were
counting on.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old March 30th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
On 2008-03-27, Ted wrote:
[...]

I have a few that I use... I have a Garmin Etrex Vista Cx with a region 10
topo sd card (preloaded with all topo maps for Illinois, Indiana, Michigan
and a few other states). I also have a Garmin Forerunner 305. I thought the
forerunner was better than the edge (made just for cycling) because as a watch
I can wear it for either, wereas, with an edge, I'd have to carry it walking.

The 305 has no maps, but saves your track and I can upload them into my pc
and view the map and other stats on garmins own software or sportracks.

I also have a pair of Magellian 200's that I bought because they were
inexpensive (these are what I let my kids use)

In the car I have a Garmin Nuvi (650 or 660 I think, the one with construction
updates but not the one that shows gas prices nearby; my son has the one that
tells you nearby gas prices and such). I like the ETA feature of it best...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old March 30th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
peter

On Mar 27, 5:15 pm, Patrick Lamb wrote:
I haven't bought one, although I've thought about it a few times.
Aside from being too cheap to want to buy all those batteries,

I probably wouldn't use my GPS much if it weren't for good
rechargeable NiMH AA cells. They can be recharged at least 500 times
which is enough for a few years worth of usage even if I'm riding
every day.

the
question I have is about maps and information. How much of a fixed
cost do you have to update maps periodically? Where would you get the
information on motels, etc.? and how much does that cost, and how
often do you need to refresh that?

My GPS is from Garmin and they update their maps (which come from
NavTeq) annually at a cost of about $70. But I usually skip a few
updates since there generally aren't that many changes from one year
to the next. So figure about $2/year for batteries and about $20/year
for maps.

Outfits like Adventure Cycling and Appalachian Trail Conference
usually publish annual updates; you'd hate to find out the only motel
in 60 miles closed up last year at dusk, if that's what you were
counting on.

The Garmin maps include telephone numbers for the business and other
locations in their map database. So if I'm counting on a particular
motel being open I'd call ahead anyway to make a reservation. If the
number's been disconnected I'll make alternate plans. And although
businesses change hands fairly frequently, it's less common for them
to disappear completely.

By the year 2015, most of the world's wired communication systems will be replaced by wireless communication systems Admin Mountain Biking 3 May 19th 07 09:05 PM
CO2 Systems J Jones Techniques 24 March 17th 06 06:06 PM
MTB gear systems Robin Norton Mountain Biking 5 December 21st 04 10:25 PM
CO2 Inflation Systems Cino1947 Techniques 4 October 17th 04 02:57 PM