Why aren't disabled cyclists treated the same as disabled motorists?

Old June 12th 08, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

Default Why aren't disabled cyclists treated the same as disabled motorists?

In article , Peter Clinch wrote:

Jamie Andrew lost both legs below the knee from frostbite after a
climbing trip went pear shaped. He did a charity fundraiser last year
where he did a personal triathlon of iron Man distances in under 24
hours (so a 112 mile bike ride in there, and he doesn't have any hands
any more either...)
http://www.jamieandrew.com/content/view/49/40/

He still climbs, and harder than me!

cf paraplegic Karen Darke http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=543
She has also crossed the Karakorams on a handcycle.
Old June 12th 08, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
permajeo[_70_]

For my two pence. My Wife is (was) a dancer. Very fit and agile as you
would expect. Cancer caught up with her last year and she can now just
walk a few yards without resting. We used to cycle lots regularly to
Richmond Park for tea and cake, now we use the car.

The point is that each situation is different. She can't cycle anymore
but I still do. We don't like using the car but it gets us to where we
want to go, when we go together.

As lots of people here have said there are benefits available to
disabled cyclists although I do admit there is a perception that "if
you're disabled how could you ride a bike."

Cars can be useful even if not desirable.

Looking forward to troll replies.

Doug Wrote:
Not only are disabled cyclists not generally recognised as such and
are banned from many areas where wheelchair users are allowed but they
are also excluded from many of the benefits enjoyed by disabled
motorists, such as the following.

"If you have difficulty getting around, having your own car can make
all the difference to your independence. Several organisations offer
information and advice about buying and driving a car specially
adapted for a disabled person. These include the Mobility Information
Service, the Mobility Advice and Vehicle Information Service (MAVIS)
and the Queen Elizabeth’s Foundation Mobility Centre.

Motability is a charity that helps people to use the higher rate
mobility component of their Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or their
War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement to buy powered wheelchairs,
personal vehicles and cars through a hire purchase scheme.

For cars, Motability covers:

* a new car every three years
* free tyres
* insurance
* road tax
* servicing, maintenance and repairs
* breakdown cover
* window or windscreen replacement.

However, your DLA or Mobility Supplement won't necessarily cover all
the costs: you may also have to pay a deposit, the cost of necessary
adaptations, running costs and so on. Do check exactly what you will
need to pay before committing yourself.

Exemption from VAT and road tax

Disabled people do not have to pay VAT on equipment for daily living,
wheelchairs, personal vehicles or on cars specially adapted to carry a
disabled person in a wheelchair. See VAT Notice 701/7, VAT reliefs for
disabled people for more information. You can get a copy from the HM
Revenue and Customs helpline on 0845 010 9000 (you will need to give
your postcode when you call).

People who receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability
Living Allowance don’t usually have to pay Vehicle Excise Duty (road
tax) on their car."

--
Carfree Cities
http://www.carfree.com/

--
permajeo

Old June 12th 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_3_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:13:13 +0100, Mark McNeill
wrote:

Response to Alan Braggins
Not long ago I saw someone with one leg riding a Brompton.

What was the other leg riding?

I've no idea - only the one attached to his body was in sight :-)
(See also http://xkcd.com/191/ (though it's a bit unfair).)

Going ever-so-slightly OT, hitting RANDOM got me

http://xkcd.com/346/

which made me laugh till it hurt, which is pretty good going after only
one coffee.

Is it just me that has no idea what this is about?

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old June 12th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Co...entos_eruption
Old June 12th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 11 Jun, 23:11, "Guy Ballantine"
wrote:
I'm not sure of why you want to discuss the differences of a disabled
cyclist or motorist and quote incorrect information. I am disabled, have a
Motability vehicle and ride a handcycle for exercise so I am a disabled
driver AND a disabled cyclist.

In your first paragraph you say that cyclists are banned from areas that a
wheelchair can go. Like where?unless you mean it being a unsafe to ride
around a small shop on you bicycle where a wheelchair would be more
manoeuvrable.

Railway stations and platforms. Pavements. Many pedestrianised areas,
such as Trafalgar Square for example.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old June 12th 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 12 Jun, 07:58, JNugent wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
"Guy Ballantine" wrote:
In your first paragraph you say that cyclists are banned from areas
that a wheelchair can go. Like where?

Pedestrianised shopping areas.

True.

And more.

And the interiors of shops and supermarkets. And the end of the row in a
theatre or cinema. And railway platforms (believe it or not, but someone
recently suggested that cyclists should be allowed to cycle along the
platforms!).

And what if they can cycle but find walking extremely painful due to
the extra weight on their leg joints which is otherwise avoided by a
saddle? There are very long railways platforms around these days.

Old June 12th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_3_]

Terry Duckmanton said the following on 11/06/2008 18:03:

A person with faulty legs would be perfectly capable of using a hand
powered trike. I must admit that someone with a dicky ticker would be
less able and would be better off with a car.

A colleague at work who was found to have a dicky ticker was made to
stop driving for a while...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 12th 08, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_3_]

Nuxx Bar said the following on 11/06/2008 18:58:

The trolls purport to
think it's fair that a disabled person who's caught driving safely at
35 in a 30 four times in three years is banned.

Have I misunderstood this? What you seem to be saying is that you think
it's OK for someone to be caught and punished for exceeding the speed
limit so long as they're disabled. Sounds to me like they've been
treated in exactly the same way as an able-bodied person.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 12th 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_3_]

Peter Clinch said the following on 12/06/2008 09:08:

Jamie Andrew lost both legs below the knee from frostbite after a
climbing trip went pear shaped. He did a charity fundraiser last year
where he did a personal triathlon of iron Man distances in under 24
hours (so a 112 mile bike ride in there, and he doesn't have any hands
any more either...)
http://www.jamieandrew.com/content/view/49/40/

That's rather sobering. Makes not riding a bike because of an aching
knee look a bit pathetic!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 12th 08, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 11 Jun, 16:59, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
Not only are disabled cyclists not generally recognised as such and
are banned from many areas where wheelchair users are allowed but they
are also excluded from many of the benefits enjoyed by disabled
motorists, such as the following.

[snip]

No, you're wrong.

The fact that a particular person owned a bicycle would not prevent them
(if disabled) from being eligible for a car under the Motability scheme
(or whatever it's now called).

So they'd be treated exactly the same as anyone else.

What if they didn't have a driving licence and didn't want to go
through the rigmarole of getting one? Or, they had tried many times
and failed?

The point is this, a disabled driver can stick a wheelchair in the
boot of their car and is free to go loads of places where disabled
cyclists are not allowed and the driver can get financial benefits
that are denied cyclists.