Ed Dolan, Jim McNamara & Tom Sherman

Old December 4th 08, 03:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
JimmyMac

Default Ed Dolan, Jim McNamara & Tom Sherman

On Dec 3, 7:45*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Dec 2, 5:17 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Dec 2, 2:35 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Esoterica is anything that the vast majority of folks are not interested
in.
That describes you and your posts perfectly.
You've taken a bit of literary license with the term esoterica which

generally is accepted to mean something which is intended for or
likely to be understood by an initiated minority or small number of
people with a specialized knowledge or interest. What I write seldom
falls into such a category. ...

What you write falls precisely into that category. Hells Bells, it is all
addressed to me and I am not even bothering to read it anymore. You cannot
get more esoteric than that!
[...]
The definition of the word simply does not fit. *I write not just to

you regardless of how I have directed what I have written. *What I
write is not intended for or likely to be understood by only a
minority or small number of people with specialized knowledge or
interest. *Do you not comprehend what esoterica means or are you just
plain dumb? *Never mind your posts are self-authenticating in that
regard. *I have to agree with your first sentence that started this
thread ... I can't learn anything from Jim.

Esoterica must be considered within the confines of this newsgroup. In any
event, you are too hung up on dictionary definitions. Context is EVERYTHING!
What I say is hundred times better than what any dictionary says.

Circumstances, conditions, factors, situations (context) are
irrespective of the definition of a word. I'd suggest that Conan the
Librarian look up the definition of DEFINITION which is about meaning
and not peripherals that alter the meaning of a word to conform to
Dolan's twisted misuse of the term esoterica. Lets all be thankful
that Merriam-Webster never took Dolan on board.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old December 4th 08, 03:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 7:45 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]
Esoterica must be considered within the confines of this newsgroup. In any
event, you are too hung up on dictionary definitions. Context is
EVERYTHING!
What I say is hundred times better than what any dictionary says.

Circumstances, conditions, factors, situations (context) are

irrespective of the definition of a word. I'd suggest that Conan the
Librarian look up the definition of DEFINITION which is about meaning
and not peripherals that alter the meaning of a word to conform to
Dolan's twisted misuse of the term esoterica. Lets all be thankful
that Merriam-Webster never took Dolan on board.

Dictionaries update their definitions of words to conform with how Great
Writers use them. Since I am a great Writer, you will be ahead of the curve
by paying close attention to how I use words.

Old December 4th 08, 06:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
JimmyMac

On Dec 3, 9:48*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

[...]

Not more of your myopic, opinionated dogma??? Granted, language is
adaptive in that it is shaped by what speakers and listeners and
writers and readers require to engage in communication, but dictionary
definitions are not updated merely to conform to how great writers use
words, but also to reflect common slang and misused words (both
written and spoken) that unfortunately become absorbed and accepted
as part of the vernacular; and, eventually the colloquial becomes the
formal. That is why we have experienced a *******ization and
adulteration of our mother tongue. Misuse and outright abuse of
language has become commonplace today. Consider yourself part and
parcel of the problem, but by all means do not misconstrue that to
mean that you are a great writer worth of be emulated.

Old December 4th 08, 07:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
[...]

How important and/or popular writers use words will determine dictionary
definitions sooner or later. Colloquialisms and slang are a separate area
aside from how the meaning of a standard word can change over time due to
how writers evolve words to mean what they want them to mean. Poets
especially are notorious for doing this.

Old December 4th 08, 09:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
JimmyMac

On Dec 4, 1:28*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

[...]

I should then be unconcerned about your misuse of words since you are
neither important nor popular and the dictionary is no immediate
danger.