bike lights melt snow! Get one now!

Old December 3rd 08, 11:39 AM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
max

Default bike lights melt snow! Get one now!

A bud at work showed me his new asian superlight.

The P7 LED.

This is the light we've all been fantasizing about all these years.

It is outrageously bright. You Can Not Imagine how bright this thing is
unless you've already seen it. It's brighter than any LED or filament
flashlight you've ever seen in your life. Period.

It will mount on handlebars or helmets easily.

Teh Bestest i've ever seen.

Battery life pretty much sucks (~45 mins) at high power, which isn't too
surprising for the form factor (one Li batt), but there is a 2 cell
version available on the site and there's a merely-bright/blister-paint
setting, with battery live being in the 10s of hours on merely-bright.

small, lightweight. well made.

Battery and _charger_ both available _seperately_. You need both. Get
an extra battery or two just to smplify life. You can also scavenge
18630 batteries out of laptops, so you can always steal a few extra from
cow orkers.

My bud is an EE whose really into this kind of stuff; he was building
P*-based lights on his own until this latest batch came along and made
home-building not worth his while.

He has dealt with this company before and says they're solid. They're
outta Hong Kong, and they are reliable and responsive.

Just make sure you are careful to order the right, compatible stuff.
Take a little while to grok. P7 is the LED, 18630 is a Li battery.
Cree is a company.

prudence. happiness. photonics. Light 'em up.

..max

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
Old December 3rd 08, 04:51 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
Cydrome Leader

In chi.general max wrote:
A bud at work showed me his new asian superlight.

The P7 LED.

This is the light we've all been fantasizing about all these years.

worst sales attempt ever.

Old December 3rd 08, 04:57 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-12-03, max wrote:
A bud at work showed me his new asian superlight.

The P7 LED.

This is the light we've all been fantasizing about all these years.

It is outrageously bright. You Can Not Imagine how bright this thing is
unless you've already seen it. It's brighter than any LED or filament
flashlight you've ever seen in your life. Period.

It will mount on handlebars or helmets easily.

Teh Bestest i've ever seen.

I'd like to see this light in a shootout with my B&M Ixon IQ Speed
sometime. The beam pattern of this P7 looks good for riding on the FRT,
but I don't think I'd care for it on road (or more correctly, oncoming
traffic might not care for it). The price is hard to beat, though.

I've got the Nokians on the sneaux bike, I might just have to pay a
visit to St Chaz one of these days.

Battery and _charger_ both available _seperately_. You need both. Get
an extra battery or two just to smplify life. You can also scavenge
18630 batteries out of laptops, so you can always steal a few extra from
cow orkers.

What's the shelf life on Li-Ion these days? And does it take to the cold,
or does it suck the way most batteries seem to at 0°F?

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old December 3rd 08, 05:12 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:

In chi.general max wrote:
A bud at work showed me his new asian superlight.

The P7 LED.

This is the light we've all been fantasizing about all these years.

worst sales attempt ever.

i know what you're fantasizing about, Leader, and the answer is $50.

..max

Old December 3rd 08, 05:13 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

max wrote:
A bud at work showed me his new asian superlight.

The P7 LED.

This is the light we've all been fantasizing about all these years.

It is outrageously bright. You Can Not Imagine how bright this thing is
unless you've already seen it. It's brighter than any LED or filament
flashlight you've ever seen in your life. Period.

It will mount on handlebars or helmets easily.

Teh Bestest i've ever seen.

Battery life pretty much sucks (~45 mins) at high power, which isn't too
surprising for the form factor (one Li batt), but there is a 2 cell
version available on the site and there's a merely-bright/blister-paint
setting, with battery live being in the 10s of hours on merely-bright.

snip

Yeah, DealExtreme has some good deals on lights.

You could run one of their lights that has a maximum input of 8.4V off
of a hub dynamo and a bridge rectifier, with an LDO regulator, at least
at the lower power (the high power requires too much current).

Alternatively, you could also use an 8V sealed lead acid battery, such
as the Powersonic PS-832 (or four 2V sealed lead acid cells) along with
the dynamo. SLA batteries are very tolerant of how they are charged.
Charge the battery continuously even in the daytime, and you could
operate at high power when necessary, and if the battery is depleted
then switch it out of the circuit and operate the light on lower power.
Or charge the battery at work or home when possible, but also while
riding in the daytime.

I think that a hybrid system that combines the advantages of battery
power with the availability of dynamo power, would be ideal. You'd have
a standlight by default.
Old December 3rd 08, 05:20 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article . org,

On 2008-12-03, max wrote:
A bud at work showed me his new asian superlight.

The P7 LED.

I'd like to see this light in a shootout with my B&M Ixon IQ Speed
sometime. The beam pattern of this P7 looks good for riding on the FRT,
but I don't think I'd care for it on road (or more correctly, oncoming
traffic might not care for it). The price is hard to beat, though.

From a cursory goggling, i think P7 is brighter.

I've got the Nokians on the sneaux bike, I might just have to pay a
visit to St Chaz one of these days.

lemme know when you're thinkin' and i'll see if i can be around. I'll
introduce you to bart.

What's the shelf life on Li-Ion these days? And does it take to the cold,
or does it suck the way most batteries seem to at 0°F?

I make aluminum bubblewrap condoms for my batteries in the winter. I
don't know if it helps, but t makes me feel like i'm doing something.

Old December 3rd 08, 06:18 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-12-03, max wrote:
In article . org,

On 2008-12-03, max wrote:
A bud at work showed me his new asian superlight.

The P7 LED.

I'd like to see this light in a shootout with my B&M Ixon IQ Speed
sometime. The beam pattern of this P7 looks good for riding on the FRT,
but I don't think I'd care for it on road (or more correctly, oncoming
traffic might not care for it). The price is hard to beat, though.

From a cursory goggling, i think P7 is brighter.

I'll believe you, but I'll also point out my new favorite page of
http://peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

I've got the Nokians on the sneaux bike, I might just have to pay a
visit to St Chaz one of these days.

lemme know when you're thinkin' and i'll see if i can be around. I'll
introduce you to bart.

I need shots first, right?

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old December 3rd 08, 06:35 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
Cydrome Leader

In chi.general SMS wrote:
max wrote:
[...]

Are you trying as hard as possible to find the weirdest batteries out
there?

Why not a nice iron nickel battery, or molten electrolyte battery, maybe a
steam powered stirling engine running a series of faraday disc? How about
a faraday disc in place of the wheels?
Old December 3rd 08, 06:49 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
KK

In article ,
max wrote:

18630 is a Li battery.

specifically a LiFe battery not a LiPo battery which means it needs a
different kind of charger.

Does the flashlight come with a charger? If not you'll need one.
Old December 3rd 08, 06:52 PM posted to chi.general,rec.bicycles.misc
KK

In article . org,
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

What's the shelf life on Li-Ion these days? And does it take to the cold,
or does it suck the way most batteries seem to at 0°F?

the battery in that thing isn't Li-ion, it's Lithium Ferrite

they work great in the cold. With the proper charger they also can be
charged to full in about 10 minutes. They also takes lots of charge
cycling abuse.

Pedal Melt-down...? chirokid Unicycling 16 May 12th 07 02:57 AM
Another take on the snow bike... Scott Gordo Mountain Biking 3 December 27th 06 04:17 PM
Snow bike [email protected] Techniques 4 December 22nd 06 04:12 PM
Now that the melt is over till the next time. [email protected] Mountain Biking 4 January 9th 05 07:28 PM
Recumbents must melt in the rain [email protected] Recumbent Biking 20 January 5th 05 04:48 AM