Leave Bill Baka Alone!

Old January 26th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Leave Bill Baka Alone!

I am getting so sick and tired of all you guys constantly pounding on
Bill Baka! And it all started when he told you how he rode his
tricycle down a hill at over 55 mph when he was a kid. Some of you
overly-skeptical types didn't think he could have done this, so I set
out to prove that it can indeed be done.

I rode down Highway 50 in California on my tricycle, starting at the
summit of Carson Pass and coasting to the town of Kyburz, and reaching
speeds of over 72 mph en route! Furthermore, I did it with no hands
on the handlebars! And not only that, but I was cited by the
California Highway Patrol for exceeding the posted 55 mph speed limit!

Now I know some of you skeptical types aren't going to believe me, so
here's a picture to prove it:

http://www.directcon.net/retroguybil...t_on_trike.jpg

Now please get off Bill Baka's case, okay!?

I would like to thank a couple of my good friends from this group,
without whose help this fearless act would not have been possible.
First, many thanks to Jobst Brandt for teaching me how to build a
tricycle wheel that will withstand this kind of stress. And second,
I'd like to thank my good friend Andre Jute for teaching me how to be
brave, and to tackle any problem confronting mankind.
Old January 26th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

Is the reference to a "bill" an unintended pun??

Duck walks into a pharmacist, and says, "Give me some Chap-Stik, and
put it on my bill."

What can a swan do,
that a duck can't,
that an attorney should?

Stick its bill up its ass.

Apologies to Messr. Baka, et al.
Old January 26th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

The police are on the way to your computer's location. GET OUT NOW!

Bill "poor ol' Ernest T." S.

Old January 26th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:30:56 -0800, retroguybilly wrote:

[...]

HAR! HAR! That's friggin excellent! LMFAO!

Old January 26th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

wrote:
[...]

A buddy of mine was at Pikes Peak last summer and he said they rented an H2
to drive up to the top... I was pestering him that they should have rented
bikes and ridden down...

I wonder what v-max is on a bicycle? (For me I know that at 36.4mph going
downhill I can no longer pedal fast enough to engage my chain, that doesn't
mean the bike can't go faster, but my legs won't move fast enough to push
it and I'd be very concerned about the road rash I'd get falling off)

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old January 26th 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default V-Max (was: Leave Bill Baka Alone!)

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:

SNIP

A buddy of mine was at Pikes Peak last summer and he said they rented an H2
to drive up to the top... I was pestering him that they should have rented
bikes and ridden down...

I wonder what v-max is on a bicycle? (For me I know that at 36.4mph going
downhill I can no longer pedal fast enough to engage my chain, that doesn't
mean the bike can't go faster, but my legs won't move fast enough to push
it and I'd be very concerned about the road rash I'd get falling off)

I suspect it depends on the bike (tire type and pressure, for
instance, and you'll surely go faster on a road bike than a trail bike),
how steep a hill you're going down, altitude (air resistance), and body
mass.
A few years ago I followed my son in a car as he rode down a steep,
high mountain road on an MTB. I clocked him at 35 mph. The next day we
rode a similar stretch of road together, again on MTB's, so I assume he
was making similar speeds. I was passing him easily, presumably because
I weigh more.
Last summer I rode down another high, steep mountain road on my road
bike. I topped out at 49 mph.
I seem to recall having read articles about TdF racers booming down
the Alps at around 70 mph. (Eddie Merckx reputedly reached into his
pocket, pulled out a wrench, and adjusted his seat while going that
fast.)
OTOH, isn't Pikes Peak a gravel road? That'd have a major effect on
the ride. Some years back I drove up Mt. Evans, a less famous drive-up,
but actually the highest road in North America, and paved all the way.
A couple of cyclists who had ridden up saw my bike rack and bummed a
ride down from 14,250' to around 12,000'. They didn't WANT to find out
how fast they could go on that road.

Bill

| When the power of love overcomes the love of power |
| the world will know peace. |
| -- Jimi Hendrix |
Old January 27th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Neil Brooks wrote:
Is the reference to a "bill" an unintended pun??

Duck walks into a pharmacist, and says, "Give me some Chap-Stik, and
put it on my bill."

What can a swan do,
that a duck can't,
that an attorney should?

Stick its bill up its ass.

Apologies to Messr. Baka, et al.

Do our attorney regulars Jay and Sandy appreciate the joke?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old January 27th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chicago Paddling-Fishing aka John Nelson wrote:
[...]
I wonder what v-max is on a bicycle? (For me I know that at 36.4mph going
downhill I can no longer pedal fast enough to engage my chain, that doesn't
mean the bike can't go faster, but my legs won't move fast enough to push
it and I'd be very concerned about the road rash I'd get falling off)

This bicycle has gone 81-mph in flat, no-wind conditions with only human
power: http://www.varnahandcycles.com/gallery/g09.jpg.

On a 6% grade, it would reach about 150-mph coasting, given a straight
run of sufficient length.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Bill Baka: Internet Coward [email protected] Mountain Biking 41 January 30th 09 11:45 PM
PING: Bill Baka Dan C General 9 January 25th 09 03:47 AM
PING: Bill Baka Tom Keats General 1 January 11th 09 04:46 PM
Where is Bill Baka? Ken M General 10 January 7th 06 03:38 PM