digital caliper chain wear measurment

Old October 1st 08, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
anern

Default digital caliper chain wear measurment

Hi,
Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do they go
about it ?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Old October 1st 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:17:42 +0100
"anern" wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
they go about it ?

Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?

Old October 1st 08, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

anern wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
they go about it ?

Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?

I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof
method with a caliper.

With a ruler, you measure a whole 12" from pin centre to pin centre, with
the chain under tension (its own weight should provide enough tension if
hanging vertically). Any elongation is then multiplied by the number of
links, so the total is large enough to see by eye when it's time to change
the chain.

There are special chain checkers (from Park, etc) if you don't like that
method. They fit into the chain to give a consistent measurement. You
can't do that with ordinary digital calipers.

~PB

Old October 1st 08, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:29:52 +0100
"anern" wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how
do they go about it ?

Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?

I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof
method with a caliper.

Can't you see the 1/16" marks on a measuring scale?

Old October 1st 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

A ruler works for me, it's not as if you're trying to measure fractions of a
mm

Old October 1st 08, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Tim Hall wrote:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:41:35 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:
Can't you see the 1/16" marks on a measuring scale?

Except when a chain is worn, 12 links measure more than 12". My steel
ruler is only marked up to 12". One day I'll scribe extra marks at 12
& 1/16" and 12 & 1/8"

It's not dfficult to estimate 1/16" when you've got a guide in front of you.

~PB

Old October 1st 08, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

anern wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
they go about it ?

Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?

I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof method
with a caliper.

I use a Park go-no-go chain gauge.

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...at=5&item=CC-3
Old October 1st 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:41:35 +0100, Rob Morley

--
Tim
Old October 1st 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:22:04 +0200, Pete Biggs wrote:

anern wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone use a caliper to measure chain wear ? If so, how do
they go about it ?

Why bother when a 12" ruler will do?

I don't trust my eye - I thought there might be a more fool proof
method with a caliper.

With a ruler, you measure a whole 12" from pin centre to pin centre, with
the chain under tension (its own weight should provide enough tension if
hanging vertically). Any elongation is then multiplied by the number of
links, so the total is large enough to see by eye when it's time to change
the chain.

Most accurate when the chain has been washed - grit between the rollers and
pins can take up space and give a false reading.