Matters of vintage Dura Ace taper?

Old September 21st 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

Default Matters of vintage Dura Ace taper?

Dura Ace used the JIS taper, or so I have always believed. I'm
converting a nice, '83 vintage frame to a fixee. It has the old Dura
Ace AX group with that odball 1" X 24 pedal thread, so I was going to
change the crank... the pedals are too small for my feet.

Anyway, I get into it and I see that the spindle has a shoulder like
the ISO taper; however, I think it's a JIS "low profile" taper.

So... my question is: will a DA 7400 series fit that existing taper
and preserve alignment? This is just a knock-about bike (and my first
attempt at fixed-gear) so I wanted to minimize buying new parts.

Jones

Old September 21st 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 21, 11:37*am, !Jones wrote:
Dura Ace used the JIS taper, or so I have always believed. *I'm
converting a nice, '83 vintage frame to a fixee. *It has the old Dura
Ace AX group with that odball 1" X 24 pedal thread, so I was going to
change the crank... the pedals are too small for my feet.

Anyway, I get into it and I see that the spindle has a shoulder like
the ISO taper; however, I think it's a JIS "low profile" taper.

So... my question is: will a DA 7400 series fit that existing taper
and preserve alignment? *This is just a knock-about bike (and my first
attempt at fixed-gear) so I wanted to minimize buying new parts.

Jones

Dunno about the BB, but Loose Screws has Dyna-Drive - 9/16" adapters.
They also (even cheaper) have NOS Deore Dyna-Drive platform pedals,
which are much wider than the DA-AX ones.

http://tinyurl.com/4hmuzm (adapters)
http://tinyurl.com/3es2ao (pedals)
Old September 22nd 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:12:55 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Hank
wrote:

Dunno about the BB, but Loose Screws has Dyna-Drive - 9/16" adapters.
They also (even cheaper) have NOS Deore Dyna-Drive platform pedals,
which are much wider than the DA-AX ones.

Thanks... that's just what I need. I'd heard of 'em, but didn't think
any were left about.

"Dyna-Drive", huh? So, that's what that setup is called?

It looks cool. I'd keep it, but I'm going to ride this one in my
street shoes and that AX pedal is so short that I can't get into the
straps... half my foot hangs off the outside.

Jones

Old September 22nd 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Dunno about the BB, but Loose Screws has Dyna-Drive - 9/16" adapters.
They also (even cheaper) have NOS Deore Dyna-Drive platform pedals,
which are much wider than the DA-AX ones.

Thanks... that's just what I need. *I'd heard of 'em, but didn't think
any were left about.

"Dyna-Drive", huh? *So, that's what that setup is called?

It looks cool. *I'd keep it, but I'm going to ride this one in my
street shoes and that AX pedal is so short that I can't get into the
straps... half my foot hangs off the outside.

At one time they made longer toe-clips for those (the
LL size should work for feet up to (or maybe even longer
than) US size 13).
It might be cheaper to hunt up the whole pedals used.
I believe the pd-7200, 7300, 7400, 6200, 6300, 6400 all use
the same toe clip.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/15.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/18.html
Old September 22nd 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

wrote:
Dunno about the BB, but Loose Screws has Dyna-Drive - 9/16" adapters.
They also (even cheaper) have NOS Deore Dyna-Drive platform pedals,
which are much wider than the DA-AX ones.

Thanks... that's just what I need. *I'd heard of 'em, but didn't think
any were left about.

"Dyna-Drive", huh? *So, that's what that setup is called?

It looks cool. *I'd keep it, but I'm going to ride this one in my
street shoes and that AX pedal is so short that I can't get into the
straps... half my foot hangs off the outside.

At one time they made longer toe-clips for those (the
LL size should work for feet up to (or maybe even longer
than) US size 13).
It might be cheaper to hunt up the whole pedals used.
I believe the pd-7200, 7300, 7400, 6200, 6300, 6400 all use
the same toe clip.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1.../pages/18.html

Do an ebay search for "shimano toe clips" and there are NOS 600 and
105 clips in XL. The 105s are BIN for $13.

Unless you mean that the pedals are too narrow.
Old September 22nd 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:46:41 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Hank
wrote:

Unless you mean that the pedals are too narrow.

Yeah... narrow.

Jones
Old September 22nd 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Sep 21, 12:37*pm, !Jones wrote:
Dura Ace used the JIS taper, or so I have always believed. *I'm
converting a nice, '83 vintage frame to a fixee. *It has the old Dura
Ace AX group with that odball 1" X 24 pedal thread, so I was going to
change the crank... the pedals are too small for my feet.

Anyway, I get into it and I see that the spindle has a shoulder like
the ISO taper; however, I think it's a JIS "low profile" taper.

So... my question is: will a DA 7400 series fit that existing taper
and preserve alignment? *This is just a knock-about bike (and my first
attempt at fixed-gear) so I wanted to minimize buying new parts.

Jones

Probably but we have AX 'Dynadrive' adapters that screw into the crank
so you can use normal 9/16 pedals-$40
Old September 23rd 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 05:26:46 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Qui si
parla Campagnolo wrote:

Probably but we have AX 'Dynadrive' adapters that screw into the crank
so you can use normal 9/16 pedals-$40

I'm sure it's so; however, I have a problem with that... I'm not
normal.

Jones

Old September 24th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Dunno about the BB, but Loose Screws has Dyna-Drive - 9/16" adapters.
They also (even cheaper) have NOS Deore Dyna-Drive platform pedals,
which are much wider than the DA-AX ones.

Thanks... that's just what I need. I'd heard of 'em, but didn't think
any were left about.

"Dyna-Drive", huh? So, that's what that setup is called?

It looks cool. I'd keep it, but I'm going to ride this one in my
street shoes and that AX pedal is so short that I can't get into the
straps... half my foot hangs off the outside.

Jones

Just bought a pair of the NOS Deore Dyna Drive pedals from Loose
Screws. They are substantially wider than the Dura-Ace AX ones, and
fit my size 12's perfectly. Be aware that they are also much heavier,
of course. Being old stock (24 years?), the grease felt as though it
was a bit hard and dry, so I sprayed in some light oil to make them
spin easily. They feel great when riding, whereas with the DA-AX's I
never felt I had enough pedal to really stand up on. If I decide to
repack them, it looks as though it will be a bit easier than working
on the DD-AX's.